Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-30-2017, 07:14 AM   #1
1meanls3

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS SIM
low oil pressure engine stop

hey guys

so last night I went to start my car and I got a low oil pressure stop engine on my DIC my car has just over 56,000 km on the engine I am cammed at idle it was reading 1.3 bar and it went up to 3.2 bar while driving went out this morning and started the car and reads nothing 0 bar on the DIC so I will have to call the dealership tomorrow I know the oil pumps are known to go on these cars so ill have to see if its covered under warrenty if not ill do it my self.

wish I had a code reader to see what codes might be there even though there is no engine light
1meanls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:17 AM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
With being cammed you should have installed a higher volume pump if your a stick, most dealers would of course void that warranty in a hot second unless they are friendly to you, also not just oil pumps but the pressure sending sensor is also known to go sitting at the top back of that intake manifold also. Good Luck, dropping the pan to install a new pump may not be covered sue to your mod, you may want to do it yourself and its not so easy as many posts if searched will attest to getting the new pump in and supporting the pickup tube with the new O ring and making sure its all right while squeezing in the gap to do it as dropping the cradle...means lots of work and the engine and trans coming down. Why I believe one of the frequent pan droppers was into design and made himself a pair of matching rectangular steel pads to weld up where he used a sawsall or more likely a porta band to cut through the cross member then make it removable with bolts and BTW I think also Bo-White did also..its a idea that a guy with lift can do and its like fantastic if you need it compared to the butt load of work dropping the cradle is.... Hopefully its the sensor .....
Old 07-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
1meanls3

thanks for the advice yeah I seen both are a common issue to fail if I can ill try to do it my self but not having a hoist will make it hard I'm gonna try the dealer and see what they say but I'm thinking they will void it bc I'm cammed also but worth a try if I can get it under warrenty then that would be a bonus iv read some have got away with it but some not so lucky we shall see tomorrow I guess when I call
Old 08-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #4
1meanls3

ok so a little update on wed I change out the oil pressure sensor and still no oil pressure so I sent it to a gm dealership to diagnose it for me and today I got an update once they put an oil filter on my car I lose all pressure so there thinking its the relief valve on the pump but not 100% sure yet and will continue to check it out. they put a mechanical guage on and the oil pressure was damn near perfect but once we put a gm filter or my mobil 1 filter on nothing pretty weird I must say I will keep this updated as I get updates from the dealer
Old 08-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
1meanls3

ok so another little update I got yesterday from the dealership

I got a call and was told the oil pump and valve look fine gm told the dealer to test it before they replace it but I guess they wont have to replace the pump or the valve bc they look fine so now there thinking its the oil cooler line witch I don't know how that could cause this low oil pressure so I was told they ordered a new line but its a week away hmm

any thoughts on this is much appreciated
Old 08-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

What ever path they have for the oil to travel through the block to the oil cooler which is on the drivers side under the headers if clogged could affect its being able to show pressure on the gauge ....its not uncommon on here to have reports of the oil cooler which is more of a oil heater having leaked or people blocking them off as they are not really that efficient as a cooler with their location by the exhaust manifold.....
Old 08-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
Kajun

Drives: 2013 1SS L99
low oil pressure

Did They use a UPF48R filter? I found a TSB that recommends that filter for low oil pressure after a oil change. It fixed a Chevy truck I worked on.
2013 1SS/RS L99-GPI VVT SS1 - TSP 1 7/8 headers with Borla Touring exhaust - ESS Tuning YSI V7 - Fore Innovations Dual pump fuel system - 1" BMR lowering springs - BMR toe rods and trailing arms - Prothane rear cradle bushings - Yank 3400 Stall -
Kajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:05 AM   #8
1meanls3

ok so final update car is now fixed oil pump was fine the spring and valve where fine the issue was the oil pick up tube where it connects to the oil pump the flange was bent due to poor job of removing the pump from the pickup tube there are marks on the flange of the pickup tube and when the dealer went to install the pump back he noticed the pick up tube doesn't sit flush with the pump making a leak
Old 08-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #9
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1meanls3 View Post
ok so final update car is now fixed oil pump was fine the spring and valve where fine the issue was the oil pick up tube where it connects to the oil pump the flange was bent due to poor job of removing the pump from the pickup tube there are marks on the flange of the pickup tube and when the dealer went to install the pump back he noticed the pick up tube doesn't sit flush with the pump making a leak
Chevy 5.3 L had that issue. made for a half-teardown of engine to seat the tube to the pump.
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Lots of people have snuck a new pump in without totally dropping the pan causing them to tear the o ring seal , or improperly seat the pick up tube or have it not tightened well and the screen hanging loose..... etc....Glad they found the problem.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #11
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
So did they cover you under warranty? Very cool if they did!
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:15 PM   #12
1meanls3

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Lots of people have snuck a new pump in without totally dropping the pan causing them to tear the o ring seal , or improperly seat the pick up tube or have it not tightened well and the screen hanging loose..... etc....Glad they found the problem.
that's just it this all happened when I was camming my car and I put a ls2 dog bone style tensioner on and new chain and in order to remove those things u need to remove the oil pump and instead of removing the oil pan and removing the pick up tube to remove the oil pump without doing any damage the flange was bent where it connects to the oil pump causing it to lose oil pressure down the road...

and no it wasn't covered under warrenty bc the mods done by the installer caused the issue so 2300$ later its fixed and I know its solid
Old 08-26-2017, 09:00 AM   #13
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Expensive lesson to learn due to someone elses shortcut....but its a case of dropping the front cradle versus not and when done it should be with a disclaimer...if there is any oil pump problem look to the connections... VIA the Persons shop responsible if not done by the person owning the car. I kept my stock pump on my first cammed engine and it was fine, this one I have a higher volume and its fine.. Its a supposed "piece of mind" thing to do the change but not at all with cases like yours of a oops....screwed up install...oops wrong o ring, oops slit the o ring, oops pick up tube fell low.... Well happy motoring , hope your wallet cools..... damn flash fires....

So not the first time I heard it on here as many did a lot of cam changes years ago with similar results..... And the older we get the less we want to contort to try things that can be IFFY...my tuner Tommy Wong he is a good dude and he would rather drop the cradle and wont just shove a pump change in as its a PITA and quality matters especially when its your rep.....
Thanks for sharing your PITA, I know I have my share also....
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...b1&oe=5A309E03

And why I use this guy for help...LOL https://www.facebook.com/Wongs-Perfo...-115667950915/ He finally had a minute to post up some more pics....LOL must be from 7 day workweeks.....

Last edited by christianchevell; 08-26-2017 at 09:40 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:46 AM   #14
1meanls3

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Expensive lesson to learn due to someone elses shortcut....but its a case of dropping the front cradle versus not and when done it should be with a disclaimer...if there is any oil pump problem look to the connections... VIA the Persons shop responsible if not done by the person owning the car. I kept my stock pump on my first cammed engine and it was fine, this one I have a higher volume and its fine.. Its a supposed "piece of mind" thing to do the change but not at all with cases like yours of a oops....screwed up install...oops wrong o ring, oops slit the o ring, oops pick up tube fell low.... Well happy motoring , hope your wallet cools..... damn flash fires....

So not the first time I heard it on here as many did a lot of cam changes years ago with similar results..... And the older we get the less we want to contort to try things that can be IFFY...my tuner Tommy Wong he is a good dude and he would rather drop the cradle and wont just shove a pump change in as its a PITA and quality matters especially when its your rep.....
Thanks for sharing your PITA, I know I have my share also....
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...b1&oe=5A309E03

And why I use this guy for help...LOL https://www.facebook.com/Wongs-Perfo...-115667950915/ He finally had a minute to post up some more pics....LOL must be from 7 day workweeks.....

that's awesome its good to see some ppl still take pride in doing things the proper way..