Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-05-2018, 11:34 AM   #29
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Just went through this with my 2011 SS. Battery tested fine. Even swapped it with a known good battery for a while. Symptoms didn't change. It started OK (or so I thought) when cool, had a hard time after driving a while and the starter got warm/hot. Swapped the starter today and its a day and night difference. Even at a cold start.

1. Lift and securely support the front of the car or drive it up on ramps.
  2. Disconnect negative battery cable.
  3. Remove the three starter heat shield bolts. (8mm)
  4. Remove the heat shield.
  5. Unbolt the two starter mounting bolts (13mm) but do not try to remove the starter yet.
  6. Rotate the starter to get easier access to the back.
  7. Disconnect the electrical connector at the top/back of the starter.
  8. Remove the (13mm) nut securing the positive power cable to the starter.
  9. Remove the starter.
  10. Install in reverse order. I waited to install the heat shield until I tried starting the car in case I did something wrong. Once I verified the car started, I installed the heat shield.
I was going to take pictures and document the whole thing, but I was having a difficult time. Not because of the difficulty of the job, it was actually really easy. I have four hernias that I'm having surgery to repair in a couple weeks, and I was in a lot of discomfort working on the car. So I decided against taking pictures and just get the job done. At least I had my 12 year old son to help. He took care of the heat shield and handed me tools as I needed them.

Here's a video of the car starting with the new starter.
http://youtu.be/tzc1JYx4LHE

BTW, I found a new OEM starter on Amazon for $93.48 with Prime shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
How's the starting after 3 yrs?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #30
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
How's the starting after 3 yrs?
Still starting good. Doesn't sound like it does in my video anymore. But it starts great.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #31
camguynj

Quote:
Still starting good. Doesn't sound like it does in my video anymore. But it starts great.
That's good. Reason I asked is because mine is starting to slow down on hot starts after 5 yrs. Already replaced the battery 2 yrs ago so before I replace the starter I'm gonna add a 2nd engine to chassis ground as shown in the below the post to see if it helps.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504199
Old 03-10-2018, 05:44 AM   #32
camguynj

Quote:
That's because it's grounded to the engine.
Do you know what grounds the engine block?
Old 03-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #33
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Do you know what grounds the engine block?
Been working on cars pretty much my entire life. I know how a cars electrical system works.

Why are you even asking me these questions? I'm thinking you misunderstood one of my posts.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #34
camguynj

Quote:
Been working on cars pretty much my entire life. I know how a cars electrical system works.

Why are you even asking me these questions? I'm thinking you misunderstood one of my posts.
Be glad to. As I mentioned in a prior post my starter is starting to slow down on hot starts after 5 yrs. Already replaced the battery 2 yrs ago so before I replace the starter I'm thinking of adding a chassis to engine ground as shown in this post to see if it helps http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504199

It's my understanding that the starter is grounded directly by virtue of being bolted to the engine block, but that the engine block does not have a direct cable ground from the battery. Hence my question how is the engine block grounded on our cars? I want to understand how adding this chassis to engine ground is going to help to provide more power to the starter when starting or is it just fools gold that will do more harm than good by channeling electrons from the alternator to the head bolt connection thru the head water jacket when the car is running and getting power from the alternator?
Old 03-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #35
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
camguynj
the factory engine ground goes between the front of the passenger head to the bottom of the ABS bracket (on a 13 at least)
it is a large gauge wire, looks like a hose.........it is the one that looks like a pigs tail in the picture
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2018, 01:10 AM   #36
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
camguynj
the factory engine ground goes between the front of the passenger head to the bottom of the ABS bracket (on a 13 at least)
it is a large gauge wire, looks like a hose.........it is the one that looks like a pigs tail in the picture
Hey, Thanks so much for that .... pic worth a 1,000 words. Much appreciated!
Old 01-03-2021, 09:48 AM   #37
Nightranger1

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
My starter never sounded right in my 2012 Camaro from when I bought it new. Finally started acting up really bad, with the stabilitrac lights coming on, etc. Replaced it with the Ultra Power starter from Rock Auto. I can't believe what a difference that starter has made, finally starts the way it should! Much improved.
Nightranger1 is offline   Reply With Quote