Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Arrow CAI Installation Issues

I've waited 7 years for a CAI and I finally got one (I'll explain why later). I am currently installing it in my LLT. Taking out the stock parts was easy but
two/three concerns came up with installing the CAI:

1) The CAI housing fit the contours of the wheel well...well.
Is this normal or should I really try to force it in there?

2) The one bolt to hold it in doesn't appear that stable. The stock had what appears to be some type of stud sleeve for the nut. The CAI installation instructions doesn't mention to use it so I didn't. Also, the CAI housing seems to be loose close to the radiator. I can imagine it knocking around during normal driving.

I saw some videos on youtube but they gloss over this portion of the installation. Videos and pics all show the installation w/ the screen on top, where it looks pretty good.

Thoughts?
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
1LEJNG

Drives: Red Hot 2014 1LE
Thoughts

Maybe you should do some cleaning before you bolt in some shiny new stuff.
1LEJNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:14 PM   #3
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Are you sure you got the right CAI for your car; that doesn't look like it fits anywhere near correctly.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:23 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Looks like it's not pushed over far enough...to the driver's side.

Edit: On closer look, I guess it is. Otherwise the bolt holes wouldn't have lined up. Well that sucks. Looks like you may have the wrong intake, as mentioned by Welker.

I would contact the Manufacturer. CAI's are too expensive to get a part that doesn't fit like a glove.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 05-20-2018 at 10:12 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:30 PM   #5
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Here’s mine:
Attached Images

Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #6
BLK141SS

Drives: 2014 1SS M6 NPP
Hmmm..... it should fit the contour of the metal part of the fender and seal with the provided gasket. You might have to wiggle it around and make sure it's not contacting any cables or wiring. Mine sealed up against the metal portion of the front clip perfectly. Make sure the bottom of the CAI is pushed in and ligned up, if you're off on the bottom the rest will never align, it's a tight fit.

BLK141SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:42 PM   #7
TastyBake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEJNG View Post
Maybe you should do some cleaning before you bolt in some shiny new stuff.
Yea, I was thinking about that before I posted the pics.

I am going to clean it up good prior to me truly placing it in.
Simple green is a beautiful thing!
Old 05-20-2018, 10:57 PM   #8
TastyBake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK141SS View Post
Hmmm..... it should fit the contour of the metal part of the fender and seal with the provided gasket. You might have to wiggle it around and make sure it's not contacting any cables or wiring. Mine sealed up against the metal portion of the front clip perfectly. Make sure the bottom of the CAI is pushed in and ligned up, if you're off on the bottom the rest will never align, it's a tight fit.

This helps.

Actually, your image looks pretty similar to mine. It doesn't contour to the wheel well all the way and it is pretty close to the radiator.
Also, it looks like you do use the stud sleeve before the bolt. I'll try it out tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Is the front part next to the radiator knocking against it or the AC line?
Old 05-20-2018, 11:39 PM   #9
BLK141SS

Drives: 2014 1SS M6 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyBake View Post
This helps.

Actually, your image looks pretty similar to mine. It doesn't contour to the wheel well all the way and it is pretty close to the radiator.
Also, it looks like you do use the stud sleeve before the bolt. I'll try it out tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Is the front part next to the radiator knocking against it or the AC line?
I think you're on the right track, that gap you see underneath the metal portion of the fender is sealed so no hot air can come in through there, the CAI box should just sit over the metal portion of the fender liner. The stud sits over the mount as shown in my photo, I think there's a rubber washer over it too. Yep, the front of the box is close to the A/C line and core support.

Here's how the stud mounts up.

This is the fit around the core support and A/C line.

And a shameless plug for my freshly detailed engine bay.
BLK141SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #10
TastyBake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK141SS View Post
I think you're on the right track, that gap you see underneath the metal portion of the fender is sealed so no hot air can come in through there, the CAI box should just sit over the metal portion of the fender liner. The stud sits over the mount as shown in my photo, I think there's a rubber washer over it too. Yep, the front of the box is close to the A/C line and core support.

Here's how the stud mounts up.
This made a difference. I appreciate you taking and posting these pics.

Thanks to these pics and you guys help, I was able to install it!

I still didn't clean out the engine bay due to time and weather but I'll usually attack it with Simple Green in late spring.

Haven't driven it yet but I'll report back with my review.

Thanks again!

Tags
cai, cai air intake, installation, issue