Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
l008com

Drives: 2013 1LT Crystal Red/Beige Manual
Address Book?

I've got an iPhone, and it's synced to my Camaro. So when someone calls, it comes through the car.

But it lists numbers, it doesn't pull the name from my phone. Which makes it almost completely useless, since I never know who's calling. Is there some way to enable names to show on the car's radio so I can actually SEE who's calling? Making calls is just as silly. The "numberpad" is a joke, it will take you 10 minutes to dial a number.

Is there any way to turn the handsfree bluetooth system from a marketing feature, to an actual, usable tool?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
nashstat

Drives: 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post
I've got an iPhone, and it's synced to my Camaro. So when someone calls, it comes through the car.

But it lists numbers, it doesn't pull the name from my phone. Which makes it almost completely useless, since I never know who's calling. Is there some way to enable names to show on the car's radio so I can actually SEE who's calling? Making calls is just as silly. The "numberpad" is a joke, it will take you 10 minutes to dial a number.

Is there any way to turn the handsfree bluetooth system from a marketing feature, to an actual, usable tool?
Unfortunately no. The Camaro bluetooth module does not have an address book import feature like many other bluetooth modules have (Ford, Toyota etc.)

I usually keep my iPhone where I can see it, and really quickly look the screen before I pick up a call.

You can also get a mount for your iPhone or some sort of stand where you can dock it in your car and see the name and then choose to accept or reject the call from your car's stereo or steering wheel controls.

Now the Camaro does have voice dialing with your iPhone to make outgoing calls from your iPhone's address book.

Simple hit the call button, say "Bluetooth" and then say "Voice" on the next menu. After that you will hear a "ding" sounds from iPhone and say "Call xxxxx mobile". This is an iPhone feature which the Camaro syncs up to and works really well most of the time!
nashstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
l008com

That sucks. What a waste of... however much 2LT costs over 1LT.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #4
nashstat

Quote:
That sucks. What a waste of... however much 2LT costs over 1LT.
The 2LT does come with quite a bit more than the 1LT. I hope you did not buy the 2LT over the 1LT just for that one feature because you could have just added the Convenience & Connectivity package on the 1LT trim.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
l008com

Actually I ended up buying off the lot when dealer #1 flaked on me. But my order was a 2LT and one of the main bonuses of 2LT was the bluetooth system. Handsfree is a must when you're driving a stick. I wouldn't have liked 18" wheels though, and some day I'll put that USB port to use, so I guess it's not a total loss. Just really pisses me off that I spend all this money, and one of the main features I paid for, is a "marketing" feature, that doesn't really, actually work.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:47 AM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Actually I ended up buying off the lot when dealer #1 flaked on me. But my order was a 2LT and one of the main bonuses of 2LT was the bluetooth system. Handsfree is a must when you're driving a stick. I wouldn't have liked 18" wheels though, and some day I'll put that USB port to use, so I guess it's not a total loss. Just really pisses me off that I spend all this money, and one of the main features I paid for, is a "marketing" feature, that doesn't really, actually work.
Yes it does, really, actually work. It just doesnt do what YOU want it to do. The only thing I can think of that it doesnt do is it doesnt display the name of the person calling. Well you can program in the names onto the Camaro for voice dialing and when those people call it says "you have an incoming call from ......" Even better than displaying the name.
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:01 AM   #7
l008com

Yeah problem is I have 300+ contacts in my phone and counting.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:39 AM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Yeah problem is I have 300+ contacts in my phone and counting.
That you talk to on a regular basis? Pick the top 10, for the rest, how hard is it to look down at your phone for 2 seconds?
Old 04-11-2010, 03:59 AM   #9
l008com

The phone is in my pocket. Thats the point of bluetooth handsfree. And its very hard to dig your phone out of your pocket while you're driving. And yes I run my own business so I never know who's going to be calling.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:27 AM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
The phone is in my pocket. Thats the point of bluetooth handsfree. And its very hard to dig your phone out of your pocket while you're driving. And yes I run my own business so I never know who's going to be calling.
The phone could be in your cupholder where I keep mine...But I don't see us seeing eye-to-eye on this one so I'll just say sorry you're unhappy with the bluetooth. I personally love it and it does everything I could need or want.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
I also don't like the way it works really. I hate that you can't use your phones voice dialing and have to program each number you want to be able to call handsfree. But I guess I'll have to learn to live with it.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #12
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Baker View Post
I also don't like the way it works really. I hate that you can't use your phones voice dialing and have to program each number you want to be able to call handsfree. But I guess I'll have to learn to live with it.
Yes you can. Press Phone button, say "voice" and use your phone's voice dialing. Works for my droid.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:37 AM   #13
l008com

My phone doesn't have voice dialing.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:19 AM   #14
nashstat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Yes you can. Press Phone button, say "voice" and use your phone's voice dialing. Works for my droid.
Also works for the iPhone...