Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-04-2009, 01:09 AM   #15
killer2SS
blasphemy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS 1E37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
if you need to be asking, you probably cant handle the horsepower... maybe dont even own a 5th gen.
I will transfer my VA educational benefits to you. You need them more than I do.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:21 AM   #16
killer2SS
blasphemy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS 1E37
It's much easier restoring a Mopar than it is deciding on which package to add to the SS. I made a few calls, but none offered military discounts. So I decided to order a few things and let my brother-in-law install them at his shop.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:31 AM   #17
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
Since it is an LS3 take a look at Corvetteforum.com there are a lot of guys who have done amazing things with them for less than 15k. A buddy of mine is pushing 700 hp and has about 15k into getting it to that point.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:41 AM   #18
Baughman

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
if you need to be asking, you probably cant handle the horsepower... maybe dont even own a 5th gen.
I don't see how that was helpful or necessary in any way Lately everyone on this forum is so jumpy and quick to lash out. Happy 4th of July every one :flag1:
Old 07-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #19
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Look @ THIS:
800HP Merlin
http://summitracing.com/parts/WRL-130238/
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #20
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2SS View Post
Anyone else feel like they want more power out of their engine? I know we can pump some serious numbers out of the LS3, but I have my limits. SO, with a $15,000 budget, what can I expect to gain out of the LS3 as far HP/TQ?
Call Ron at Vengeance racing...with that budget I think you'll be surprised... (and that's my '10 on the dyno in the pics)

http://www.5thgen.org/forum/showthre...ight=Vengeance

http://www.5thgen.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15130
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #21
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Put 3.9X gears in it. You will see a big improvement and will have the same hwy rpms as a GTO or 4th gen with 3.4Xs.
Tires are so tall on the 'maro that they are killiing off the line acceleration.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:53 PM   #22
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
If it were me, I'd do cold air intake, headers, exhaust, cam, and tune. The car would be making 500+ rwhp and you could do that for 1/3 of your budget If you want more at that point, certainly there are other fun things to do.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:32 AM   #23
BMT CAMERO

Drives: 2010 CAMARO IS BLACK SS2RS #2599
GO GET A LSX AND BE DONE FOR ABOUT 14
BMT CAMERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:53 AM   #24
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
ls3 wont take 700 twin turbos, pistons cant do it. low 6's maybe. you want powa, drop a ls7 charged in there, and plan on snapping trannys and halfshafts.
hot ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:41 AM   #25
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot ss View Post
ls3 wont take 700 twin turbos, pistons cant do it. low 6's maybe. you want powa, drop a ls7 charged in there, and plan on snapping trannys and halfshafts.
The LS7 is even worse for FI then the LS3, cylinder walls are much thinner. If you are going to get a new engine, it has to be the LSX, nothing else is worth it (except ls9, but thats a fair bit over 15k...lol)

either go for some mods (cai, cat back, cam, turbo/super ect ect) or drop in a LSX and be prepared to upgrade the drive line and suspension for that bad boy
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #26
Ron@Vengeance

Drives: 2013 Artic White GrandSport
15k can go a long way on the new Camaro. You really need to think about what your ultimate goals are.. What kind of power do you want to make? What sort of drivability? All Motor? Nitrous? SuperCharged?Turbos?

With the Camaro weighing as much as it does power UNDER THE CURVE is going to be the key to making the cars quick/fast. Gears will help tremendously as soon as they are available.

If I were modding my Camaro with 15k, I would use my stock block and build a 427 LS3 with all forged internals/CNC the cylinder heads/add all supporting bolt ons/clutch. This combo would easily be good for 550/525 to the tires with EXCELLENT drivability and insane power under the curve. You would still have numbers matching block/heads and you would be set up in the future for any sort of power adder should you get bored with your 550rwhp/525rwtq. Fuel economy would remain unchanged and reliability would actually improve with the better internals in your 427 stroker.

I actually got my VIN yesterday and I plan on pulling my engine the week the Camaro arrives. Im going to build a 418 stroker with low compression and build a twin turbo kit. I will upgrade clutch/shifter/half shafts. The stock T56 is MORE than capable of supporting big power as it has been proven for YEARS.... I plan to make 900 to 1100RWHP and be daily driver capable. We have done this MANY times over so I have no worries going into the build.

As I said, there are several ways to make big power. Find someone you trust to help guide you down the right path and enjoy the build of your Camaro.

If we can be of any help dont hesitate to call. We have been building Camaros since 1998 with GMMG Inc and have an insane amount of experience/knowledge in the LSX world.

Last edited by Ron@Vengeance; 07-07-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Ron@Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #27
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance View Post
15k can go a long way on the new Camaro. You really need to think about what your ultimate goals are.. What kind of power do you want to make? What sort of drivability? All Motor? Nitrous? SuperCharged?Turbos?

With the Camaro weighing as much as it does power UNDER THE CURVE is going to be the key to making the cars quick/fast. Gears will help tremendously as soon as they are available.

If I were modding my Camaro with 15k, I would use my stock block and build a 427 LS3 with all forged internals/CNC the cylinder heads/add all supporting bolt ons/clutch. This combo would easily be good for 550/525 to the tires with EXCELLENT drivability and insane power under the curve. You would still have numbers matching block/heads and you would be set up in the future for any sort of power adder should you get bored with your 550rwhp/525rwtq. Fuel economy would remain unchanged and reliability would actually improve with the better internals in your 427 stroker.

I actually got my VIN yesterday and I plan on pulling my engine the week the Camaro arrives. Im going to build a 418 stroker with low compression and build a twin turbo kit. I will upgrade clutch/shifter/half shafts. The stock T56 is MORE than capable of supporting big power as it has been proven for YEARS.... I plan to make 900 to 1100RWHP and be daily driver capable. We have done this MANY times over so I have no worries going into the build.

As I said, there are several ways to make big power. Find someone you trust to help guide you down the right path and enjoy the build of your Camaro.

If we can be of any help dont hesitate to call. We have been building Camaros since 1998 with GMMG Inc and have an insane amount of experience/knowledge in the LSX world.

Excellent post, all very true, except, as highlighted, the fuel economy would defiantly not stay the same.

Bigger engine (displacement) means more fuel and air entering the engine for any given RPM compared to the normal displacement. Also by adding gears, and by that i asume you mean rear end gear,something along the lines of a 4.10 or so, and that would most defiantly hurt gas milage as any given speed will now have a higher engine rpm compared to normal gears, thus increasing fuel consumption

But i digress, when you drop that much cash on an engine and mods, somehow i don't think gas mileage is one of you chief concerns.....

So yea, as im a N/A guy myself, i would do exactly as Ron suggested

And judging from this guys experience with the L76 (see page 3)
http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=109744 You'll be making right around 540 WHP (630 crank HP)
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #28
Ron@Vengeance

Drives: 2013 Artic White GrandSport
Speaking from experience I disagree ... Tuning plays a HUGE role in fuel economy. Our customers typically tell us that they pick up 2mpg on the highway and lose 1 to 2 around town... Averaging the same fuel economy overall.. Yes, larger cubic inches= more air/fuel.. BUT larger cubic inches also= more power/torque requiring less throttle to do the same job as before

In regard to gears, again I disagree... 4:10s in a 4000lb Camaro will make 6th gear more usable on the highway avoiding down shifting and cruising at a higher rpm in 5th gear... Dont believe me?? Go out in your Camaro, cruising 70mph in 6th and try to accelerate to pass the vehicle in front of you.. It wont happen..
While I can see a SLIGHT change in fuel economy the gears will actually HELP the engine move this heavy vehicle and put the engine in its optimal rpm range more efficiently.

We all have opinions guys, I just happen to be lucky enough to be part of a team that has produced a few thousand LSX combos to this point
Ron@Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote