Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #15
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
The current rumor going around is a NA, flat-plane crank, DI, TiVCT 5.2L V8 (or 5.4, I can't remember which). Producing somewhere in the neighborhood of 550-600bhp. Code named : "Voodoo"
Wonder why they would go with a flat plane crank. It would sound interesting.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #16
ford20

Drives: Boss 302
Quote:
The current rumor going around is a NA, flat-plane crank, DI, TiVCT 5.2L V8 (or 5.4, I can't remember which). Producing somewhere in the neighborhood of 550-600bhp. Code named : "Voodoo"
I do believe that it is only going to be the 5.0L unless Ford figured out a way to make the bores bigger then 3.700 than the biggest they can go is 5.1 IIRC without going to a stroker style crank. It looks like Ford is really serious when it comes to the handling of this car. 6 piston brakes in the front 4 piston in the rear looks like possibly a 2 piece rotor and brake cooling ducts with a heat extractor in the hood. This one is supposedly the GT350 with a second SVT product coming out as well.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #17
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford20 View Post
I do believe that it is only going to be the 5.0L unless Ford figured out a way to make the bores bigger then 3.700 than the biggest they can go is 5.1 IIRC without going to a stroker style crank. It looks like Ford is really serious when it comes to the handling of this car. 6 piston brakes in the front 4 piston in the rear looks like possibly a 2 piece rotor and brake cooling ducts with a heat extractor in the hood. This one is supposedly the GT350 with a second SVT product coming out as well.
There are a couple companies that can get the Coyote to 318ci without using a longer stroke. Livernois, rgrengines, and I realize that this is the aftermarket, thus there are huge differences . One such difference is the aftermarket still having to use liners instead of PTWA. So it's possible that Ford would have an ever so slightly easier time to get the same displacement.

Last edited by crysalis_01; 09-18-2013 at 11:42 PM.
crysalis_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #18
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
Cool the pop up tent option for camping at the track
The camo Ford has been using on these cars has been a bit excessive to say the least.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #19
ford20

Drives: Boss 302
Quote:
There are a couple companies that can get the Coyote to 318ci without using a longer stroke. Livernois, rgrengines, and I realize that this is the aftermarket, thus there are huge differences . One such difference is the aftermarket still having to use liners instead of PTWA. So it's possible that Ford would have an ever so slightly easier time to get the same displacement.
Yeah but now we are not talking about a production engine. I know Livernois can make a 5.3 engine along with their 5.1 and JPC/RGR has a 351 block but for something that Ford wants to put out they are heavily concerned with reliability. I agree with the PTWA statement though so you are correct, I think that now the 5.4 series is done for Ford will be using PTWA somewhere else but IDK how much strength that is going to give the block while opening up the bore to more than a 5.1L. I could be completely wrong because I can not say how strong the block would be with the PTWA treatment to be honest. It would be pretty awesome to have a big bore block from Ford though and I would love to see it, I would certainly snatch up that block if Ford made it available. So I really hope you are correct.

Hell I wish Ford would try and use the PTWA on a regular 5.0 on their sportsman block and see if that would hold up to the power levels that people need them to.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #20
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
The 458 Italia extracts 567bhp from 4.5L. Granted that's an engine that'll spin to 9000rpm. Also it only makes about 390ft lbs of torque, but on a very flat curve from about 3200rpm up. Obviously that's a very pricey engine, so whether or not Ford can pull off similar output numbers, with .7-.9L more displacement, is yet to be seen.
Hell look how high people are spinning the new 5.0 with boss intakes!!! If they really want it to be a track beast it will probably spin pretty high stock with the ability to spin even higher once tuned. Ford loves to make high revving motors and they do a damn good job so why stop now?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #21
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle4.6GT View Post
Whatever this is gonna be called, it'll be taking on the ZL1.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851
3 years later, lol. Ford is a bit behind. But cool info nonetheless.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #22
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
3 years later, lol. Ford is a bit behind. But cool info nonetheless.
Are you really knocking ford for being behind? Gt500 years later the Zl1. Boss mustang years later the 1le. Nothing wrong with playing catch up as long as you up the ante regardless of which brand it is...IMO
Old 09-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #23
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Those are some serious brakes and tires. If they put this supposed voodoo v8 in it and the rumored weights are accurate, that car will be stupid fast for a Mustang. The rumors and pics are making me a little antsy, I'm having flashbacks to 2003 when the terminator came out.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #24
right to travel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
so im a noob at this engine stuff but if upping the displacement on the 5.0 is not a real easy thing to do would it be also hard to lower the displacement on the 5.8, lose the blower and update the tech with di and whatever else it needs?
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #25
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
Are you really knocking ford for being behind? Gt500 years later the Zl1. Boss mustang years later the 1le. Nothing wrong with playing catch up as long as you up the ante regardless of which brand it is...IMO
Yes I'm knocking Ford for once. They were on top for along damn time. The ZL1 and 1LE wouldn't have happened if sales weren't made IMO. So to sit there and say they came out years later, yes your right in that aspect now they clearly concentrated so much over the years of big HP #s which doesn't always win. The GT500 competition is the 1LE. Until it beats that around a road course then Ford has plenty of improvement to be made as far as performance goes.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #26
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Yes I'm knocking Ford for once. They were on top for along damn time. The ZL1 and 1LE wouldn't have happened if sales weren't made IMO. So to sit there and say they came out years later, yes your right in that aspect now they clearly concentrated so much over the years of big HP #s which doesn't always win. The GT500 competition is the 1LE. Until it beats that around a road course then Ford has plenty of improvement to be made as far as performance goes.
Not that you don't have something if a point, Ford did focus in straight line performance over road course performance, but don't the GT500 and ZL1 pretty much split wins 50/50 in most road comparisons? Whereas ZL1 definitely under performs in the 1/4, when using GT500 as a reference point. So one could argue that GT500 is a more rounded performer.

But I digress, this thread needs not be overly derailed by a discussion that we've all had too many times. This thread is about the next gen.

And this new SVT car, I see being a car more apt to play in the realm of Z/28 and perhaps even Z51 rather than ZL1 like the OP stated.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:26 AM   #27
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:
Not that you don't have something if a point, Ford did focus in straight line performance over road course performance, but don't the GT500 and ZL1 pretty much split wins 50/50 in most road comparisons? Whereas ZL1 definitely under performs in the 1/4, when using GT500 as a reference point.

Everything underperforms in the 1/4 if using a GT500 for a reference point.

So one could argue that GT500 is a more rounded performer.

But I digress, this thread needs not be overly derailed by a discussion that we've all had too many times. This thread is about the next gen.

And this new SVT car, I see being a car more apt to play in the realm of Z/28 and perhaps even Z51 rather than ZL1 like the OP stated.
On road courses the GT500 can be competetive depending on track layout for maybe 1 or 2 laps due to brake fade. On some tracks its even, others its behind. The ZL1/1LE can repeat the same lap without issue. IOW, its good for a hero lap then it falls behind. Obviously this is easily rectified with upgraded pads, fluid and maybe some cooling ducts but in stock form it'd fall behind after a few laps.
Ford has done a wonderful job with the solid rear axle setup and have likely taken it as far as they can at this point. For reference the 1LE is less than a second off the GT500 lap times at VIR. So we dont get off track (pun intended) and to fold the above into the current topic I fully expect Ford to try to go after the 1LE with an IRS setup. Less weight, IRS and an already proven powerplant in the 5.0 would make for a potent combination.
I'd expect GM to give more attention to the drag strip while trying to sharpen road course ability.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #28
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
Quote:
I've gotta disagree with you there.

The 2013GT500 is not a direct competitor to the 1LE. It is a direct competitor to the ZL1. The Boss LS is the competitor for the 1LE.

The ZL1 has a slight edge on road course in comparison with the GT500. However, in sheer drag racing performance, the GT500 takes the cake every time. Not sure how Ford is behind as they were released around the same exact time.

Ford never really designed cars strictly for the Road course except for the 00' Cobra R and the Boss/Boss LS.

Ford is not years behind man, they are right on top of GM and vice versa.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote