Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 07-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
DSworo9
Original Polish Memeber

Drives: 2002 WS6 Trans Am
Angry Can anyone justify the price madness?!?!?

I am looking for a low miles, T-top, Burgandy, 5-Speed. Every where I look, people are trying to sell their 3rd Generation Camaros with a ridiculous price. For example; some yahoo has this vehicle available for $19,900! It has just under 7k on it. Is there anyone here that would pay this or even can justify the price/thought? Thanks.

“I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”
DSworo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
BlueZee28

Drives: 1991 Z28 convertible
More info on the $19,000 car please? Its hard to say without knowing WHAT the car is, and with what options. If you haven't noticed, 3rd gens have started increasing in value (for the performance models) while the 4th gens have started decreasing in value.

It sounds like you're trying to find a jem but don't want to pay the price for it. I'm not saying you will have to pay $19,000 for a nice car, but don't be suprised if a low mile car that you WANT is going to cost you in the $7,000-$10,000 range.

LSX Powered

For More Pics Click:
http://www.omnipotent-goku.com/iroc/gallery/album140
BlueZee28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
DSworo9
Original Polish Memeber

Drives: 2002 WS6 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZee28 View Post
More info on the $19,000 car please? Its hard to say without knowing WHAT the car is, and with what options. If you haven't noticed, 3rd gens have started increasing in value (for the performance models) while the 4th gens have started decreasing in value.

It sounds like you're trying to find a jem but don't want to pay the price for it. I'm not saying you will have to pay $19,000 for a nice car, but don't be suprised if a low mile car that you WANT is going to cost you in the $7,000-$10,000 range.
Maybe you're right. But I do not see the justification in some of the prices out there, or maybe its just me. The link to the IROC is at the bottom, tell me if this is worth 20k. Thanks.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

“I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”
DSworo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
GTAwheelman

Drives: 1985 Camaro Sport Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSworo9 View Post
Maybe you're right. But I do not see the justification in some of the prices out there, or maybe its just me. The link to the IROC is at the bottom, tell me if this is worth 20k. Thanks.

i'm going to say no based on the fact that is just a 305. although it is a 5spd car which can/does push the value up. i'm sure you could find one almost as nice for $9k less, but you will also have more miles.

that is a damn nice car though. i wont lie, if i had the cash i would buy it.

BTW for that those of you that dont know, the 3rd gens never came from the factory with a 350 and a manual.
GTAwheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
BlueZee28

If the car looks and drives like a brand new car (which it SHOULD with that low mileage), then I would say someone out there would definitely pay around $15,000 for it, if not more. That's got super low miles on it, appears to be in extremely mind condition, and has every option on it that I can tell just from briefly going over the description.

LSX Powered

For More Pics Click:
Old 08-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
dayvedayve

Drives: 2006 Chevy Avalanche
Take a look real close to the window sticker in the listing. It was 19K+ brand new. Guess he is trying to get his money back. Even mint "I" think its too high. Would go with the 12K to 15K if it checked out in person.
dayvedayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
BlueZee28

You guys crack me up. Do you have any idea how much MORE $19,000 was back in 1987? Inflation inflation inflation!!!

I truly believe this is a $15,000 + car. His starting price may not be too far off.

Maybe I should show you a scanned copy of my appraisal on my convertible. It has 103K miles on it, got it appraised at like 101K or 102k. Care to take a stab at what it was appraised at?

LSX Powered

For More Pics Click:
Old 08-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm actually thinking that a 3rd generation Camaro should be at least $19k if it only has 7k miles. That's amazing. I've put over 20k miles on my Subaru in under 2 years. Think about how much time has passed since the car has been released. That's simply a remarkable ratio of miles to years. Additionally, a car driven so rarely probably has significant value due to the quality maintenance that went into it. Finally, consider that classic Camaros are classic cars. We're not talking about Ford Probes here. A 3rd generation Camaro is a highly desirable car for multiple reasons, perhaps most notably for their potential as lightweight performers since they weigh less than the 2nd generation and bear more advanced technology at the same time.

If you can find a 3rd generation Camaro without rust and dents for under $10k, expect to pay in high mileage.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
BlueZee28

This is the appraisal on my 103K mile convertible. It was a reputable appraisor (I paid $125 for these two pieces of paper). It is fully insured for the amount of $12,000.

LSX Powered

For More Pics Click:
Old 08-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
Finding third gens in good shape with low miles is tough. Parts are hard to come by as well. The good news may be that they are not in high demand. I would not pay more than 10K for one though, regardless of condition. I paid a little over 10.5K for my 1984 Z-28 (leftover in 1985) so I couldn't justify exceeding the original sticker price.

Now a first gen...that is a whole different subject.
MikesZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #11
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesZ View Post
Finding third gens in good shape with low miles is tough. Parts are hard to come by as well. The good news may be that they are not in high demand. I would not pay more than 10K for one though, regardless of condition. I paid a little over 10.5K for my 1984 Z-28 (leftover in 1985) so I couldn't justify exceeding the original sticker price.

Now a first gen...that is a whole different subject.
how can that be, they made the car with almost NO changes for 10 years. other than fascias, tail lights and side cladding along the bottom and wheels the cars are the same. and the drive-trains if its a V6 they made TONS of the 2.8 and later 3.1 ditto for the 305 (carbed and or throttle/multi port fuel injected) and 350. I have a Year One catalog that covers 82-92 and you can almost build a car with the stuff in it .
Old 08-08-2009, 02:38 AM   #12
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Well it makes sense if it's mint. 3rd gen's are just more and more rare. A lot of them where abused and are just gone.

Also they could just be shooting high. Never know unless you do cash offers on how low they would go.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #13
myblackcamaros

Drives: #156 ZL575, 97 SS, 87 IROC-Z
I understand the price to a degree. I had a new IROC-Z in high school and I would love to have mint car optioned exactly like mine. I would have been in the market to pay top dollar but then the 5th gen came out and took all my funds. My replacement IROC is on hold for now.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #14
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
it seems to me hes aiming a little too high, but maybe not much. id try offering lower, and see wat he says
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote