Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
DIY - Install Flashtech 24 LED foglights (Non-RS)

Hey folks, I recently completed a headlight conversion and Steve at Flashtech kindly offered to trade me my old halogen headlight assemblies for one of his new products.

First off, I have to say Steve was very pleasant to deal with, very quick to answer my PM's and I would most certainly do business with him again.

Now, on to his product. I'm sure most of you have heard of these LED fogs by now, so I'll skip the explanation on those. But these particular ones from Flashtech have 24 LED's rather than the competitions 16-18 (can't remember exactly how many), and when it comes to LED's more = brighter... obviously.

Here's a picture of the LED replacement next to my stock 5202 that I took out of there. As you can see, the LED replacement is alot larger, but I had no issues sliding it into place. It fits nicely into the fog light assembly.

the tabs on the stock 5202 are very fragile, so you want to be careful when taking them out. The base of the replacement appears to be the exact same as the stock one, just with the LED stack instead of a bulb, so you're probably best to be gentle with it as well.

So, How do I put these in? your asking? it was Extremely easy and only took about 10 minutes with 1 tool.

Step 1: turn your wheels away from the side you're working on. This will give you room to access the inner fender. This is where you'll need a #20 torx bit to take out the 3 screws holding the fender liner in place. Take these out and peel it back. I just pulled it back and held it open with my knee.

Step 2: Once you get the liner peeled back, you can see the fog light assembly. You don't need any tools for this part. Unclip the harness by squeezing the top and bottom and pulling. Then lift the top and bottom lock tabs on the bulb, and wiggle it out. You'll probably want to grab the sides and wiggle rather than from the top and bottom because you'll break the tabs if you pull on them. This part was kindof frustrating because I didn't want to break anything, but you really have to use some force, that bugger's really in there. Then once you get that out, slide the replacement in and plug in the harness. Again, you'll have to use some force because it's a pretty tight fit, but you'll hear it click when it's seated and you're ready to rock! Then just button up your fender liner and repeat on the other side.

Here's what the difference looks like from the stock fogs. Bet you can't guess which one I changed first.....

My only complaint is they don't match my headlights very well... so I'm going to have to spend more money on an HID kit to fix that. haha

they actually match my Halo's very well, but the stock BMW halos aren't bright enough to see in the day time, so that's another thing I'll have to upgrade to match haha.

If you've got any questions on this product I'd be happy to answer them, or PM Steve@flashtech and he'll take care of you.

Happy Camaroing!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
MOCamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, IOM/IOM
Love the look Wylde, and thanks for the half-done picture that compares the new and the old bulb colors. One question: How well do they project onto the road at night?
MOCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
wylde1
I am the Stig

I wouldn't say they project much further if at all actually. They're about the same as the stock ones, but the color is much different. I think the white tends to make things a bit more visible. So while you don't really get alot of extra distance out of them, you are able to see at least the same distance more clearly. If that makes any sense.

If you're looking for more distance, you'd likely be better off with HID fogs. But these are a great alternative.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Did you have any trouble plugging in the fashtech LEDs? I tried another brand of recently and they wouldn't fit.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
wylde1
I am the Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Drifter View Post
Did you have any trouble plugging in the fashtech LEDs? I tried another brand of recently and they wouldn't fit.

I did have to push pretty hard and wiggle a bit to get the snap/tab to engage, but they did plug in.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
thelid
Big Papi

Drives: 69 plain jane
Are there lights for the RS? What is the difference that you can't use them on the RS?
thelid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
wylde1
I am the Stig

I believe it's a different type of bulb. I'm not sure why they did it, but on the RS package they are P13W's or something along those lines, but the Non-RS are 5202 bulbs. I don't really understand why the 5202 bulbs couldn't be DRL bulbs haha but I guess that's why I don't work for GM. From the sounds of it, flashtech is working on or has an LED P13W replacement but I'm not sure of the availability yet.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
ktiblets

Drives: 1 0f 100 Coca-Cola Edition Camaro
what headlights do you have?
ktiblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #9
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
those headlights are very unique where did you get them
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
Captain McFunk
Break Necks, Cash Checks

Drives: 2010 black Camaro 2SS/RS
i think they're retrofitted bmw headlights. I LOVE them, and wish someone would make a nice replacement.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
FYI:
you don't need to unfasten anything. Just jack up the front, and the bulbs are super easy to change with no tools. Took me 5 minutes do change both bulbs out.
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote