Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #57
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
On a side note...How many people bought the 1LE and AREN'T going to track it?
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #58
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
This isn't my first venture into driving cars and setting them up the way I want them, I don't care for the stretched tire and given the way I set this up with the Nitto's, it'll be the way I want it...stop worrying about what I'm doing...and worry about your own car's set up....
I think the contrasting comments are interesting. I dont think people are talking about your set up. As much as they are discussing the pro's and con's based on thier experiance. This is healthy and good plus add some interesting to that.
We are all different and this is what makes our car so exciting.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #59
Brian 1LE SS

Drives: 98 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Don't undervalue what autocrossing demands or what it can make evident simply because of the relatively low speeds involved. It is a VERY intense activity.

You might even notice the 1" more at auto-X, because that form of motorsports is much more about transient handling (where things like turn-in response matter the most) than running out on the big track is.

FWIW, even in fairly hard street driving it's possible to notice a 1" wheel width difference with the tire size held constant (or a 20mm difference in tire width on the same wheels) if you have the right sequence and spacing of corners and have some idea what to "feel" for.

Maybe almost 50 years of driving with an acknowledged "corner-carver" mindset really does count as applicable seat time. Maybe the difference in feel doesn't matter as much to everyone.

Norm
Thank you for this post. Most people that make comments about dodging cones in a parking lot have never autox or are diehard road racers.
If a car has handling issues good or bad an autox will bring it out in a car. You dont need triple digit speeds to know how a car will handle.
<a href=http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia/data/500/562752_4054654816027_115782456_n.jpg target=_blank>http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia...15782456_n.jpg</a>
Brian 1LE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #60
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian 1LE SS View Post
Thank you for this post. Most people that make comments about dodging cones in a parking lot have never autox or are diehard road racers.
If a car has handling issues good or bad an autox will bring it out in a car. You dont need triple digit speeds to know how a car will handle.
Here is an example of that...
Old 11-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #61
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Damn
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #62
Brian 1LE SS

Drives: 98 Camaro SS
That hurts to watch that. Definiatly driver error.
<a href=http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia/data/500/562752_4054654816027_115782456_n.jpg target=_blank>http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia...15782456_n.jpg</a>
Brian 1LE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #63
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

I watched it happen...it is still painful to watch as we still autocross there regularly...
Old 11-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #64
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
I watched it happen...it is still painful to watch as we still autocross there regularly...
Hope the course has been moved over a tad...

EDIT: Never mind, just re watched the video there is also a light pole in the middle of the course.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #65
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post

But to say stock sucks without having any basis, data, experience with it prior to your modifications. It is like saying brownies taste bad and should be out of vanilla when you never tried one in the first place.

They also stated they put heavy duty hubs to handle higher loads. Going more grip by either Tire size or compound could wreck havoc on other parts.
Believe it or not people have raced before the 1LE came into existence. It won't be breaking the laws of physics. Stock sucks, it's filled with compromise. Most drivers won't ever find the true limits of the car, only their driving. It doesn't mean stock doesn't suck, it means they're not good behind the wheel.

And if you're scared of grip don't race a car. More of the paranoia again. It sounds like you've never raced anything in your life. Grip wreaking havoc on a race car? Really? Racing is hard on parts, don't be scared.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #66
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I think many will be looking for a compromise of a show and go car. The issue is, why spend the $3,500. if the look your going for negates the 1LE package?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #67
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Holy S! I'm glad he was OK per the YouTube notes. I guess this is why helmets are worn, huh?

I once saw something similar to this at an SCCA race. A guy with a brand new 1987 Porche 911 was in the straight s curve much like this video and as he turned to the left then to the right and back left again the car went up on the right side and slid off the track along the passenger side. He finally went into a ravine off track on way to the bordering farm and landed on his roof.

The YouTube notes made it sound like he didn't brake. Do you know if that's true? Other comments said the track and his tires were cold.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #68
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Believe it or not people have raced before the 1LE came into existence. It won't be breaking the laws of physics. Stock sucks, it's filled with compromise. Most drivers won't ever find the true limits of the car, only their driving. It doesn't mean stock doesn't suck, it means they're not good behind the wheel.

And if you're scared of grip don't race a car. More of the paranoia again. It sounds like you've never raced anything in your life. Grip wreaking havoc on a race car? Really? Racing is hard on parts, don't be scared.
Synner, maybe another view is this video from hookedondriving.com. I posted this above in reply to So Cal Camaro. He raises a good point. Most stock cars should only be driving 7/10ths. A car modified for track can be driven 10/10ths and even 11/10ths (whatever the heck he meant by that). Anyway, this thread has gotten blown out of proportion a bit. If someone has the dough to roll his own 10/10ths car, then "Good on him" as the Kiwi's say. And if someone wants to be a 7/10th driver then "Good on him" too.

Maybe, just maybe, what's been lost in this thread is a difference of the user. Some people may be 7/10ths users and some may be 10/10ths uses. Neither are wrong. Just different.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ut3t2is-Gt4
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #69
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

It was cold that day, but it was not his first run of the session...he throttled it coming off the last cone with traction control off on those run flats...and he never hit the brakes
Old 11-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #70
z28racer

Drives: 12 SIM 2SS/ RS Sinergy M6,GMC2500HD
Who was the Jackass who desingned that course??? Might as well thrown some trees in there too!!! I'm glad the guy is ok!!!
z28racer is offline   Reply With Quote