Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #2479
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefemanG View Post
No doubt the 6th gen was an improvement over the 5th without radically overhauling the platform or styling, but I think he's referring to the refresh.
On some he did, this one is hard to read since references the 5 when talking about the 6. I dunno either way. I digress though.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #2480
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I thought the sixth gen was the natural evolution of the fifth gen.
A more modern, edgy version of the fifth gen, slimed down and better performing.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:15 PM   #2481
x55cam

Drives: Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyGTR View Post
First of all, I'm sorry for not doing it when I told you, I had a lot of work to do in college and I missed my time.

I know that we are more or less in the stage to defend why we love it and defend why we hate it, but I want us to focus on this part, why this Camaro has more heritage than 16-18, why the word CAMARO it comes to mind every time we see it, and why Chevrolet has not thrown 50 years of an iconic car in the trash. Maybe after this you'll see a little sense of this beautiful "Frankenstein", maybe some like it, maybe others hate it, we do not care, we're just going to make things clear here. after that, you decide which side to take ... and for the love of Julia, do not become a mosquito submerging that hates it ... nor that you love it, just debate.

As we are only going to focus on the front, I will divide it into three parts; 4th Gen, 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen. And here we start:

Relationship with the fourth generation:

1- HEADLIGHTS CAVITY: Although it does not look like it, the Refresh of the sixth generation of the Camaro has a similarity with the fourth, and is at the entrance of its headlights. from the third generation until the fourth before its respective refresh, the Camaro has had the cavity of the headlights, black, and in this refresh that part has been taken into account apparently, even if we look at their respective headlights, the light bulb makes reference that the headlights are divided like quadlights because this one has a finer lens than the rest of the lighthouse that looks thicker, and if you do not believe me then look at the post # 1933.

Relationship with the second generation:

1- BADGE POSITION: Yes, the apple of the disc .... The bowtie of discord apparently has a possible justification of why it is in the middle of the two grills. In the second generation of the Camaro, say 1970 to 1973 and only in those models identified as SS and also had the option of a split bumper, came with the logo "SS" in the middle of the grill, even the first generation had that peculiarity in 1969 in said SS models. Now in the new Refresh and specifically the SS model took the same, but with the chevrolet logo and in the black bar between the grills that gives the illusion that it is a BIG grill. Beautiful recreation, no? Do not respond

2-CHROME BARS ... OR AT LEAST THE SHAPE: Another characteristic in common are the chrome bars, or at least in the new Refresh they have taken that shape at the ends of the bumper, and another thing is that the part of the bumper that is between the chrome bar and the grille in the second generation it is evident in this refresh, only that it does not reach the bottom of the bumper so that the lower grill runs to the ends and achieves that sadistic smile.

3- FOG LIGHTS:They are the same, the only thing that varies is the technology of each one and its size, but with regard to form and position, they are the same.

Relationship with the fifth Generation:

1- SS BADGE: I do not think I have to explain it
By the way, the entrance of the upper grill now has a width and shape similar to that of the fifth generation, only with its own design.

All this combination is accommodated in such a way that it can flow according to the silhouette of the vehicle, and maybe it looks more sporty, but not for the reason you think, at least that's what I think it. Definitely has its unique characteristics, because each Camaro brings something unique in its generation, but the Legacy can not be denied.

Who does not know the history of something, has no right to mention it to defend why he does not like his change.

If you like the car, Amen, if not, then Amen too, just try to be coherent and do not say anything that comes to your head to make others understand that you are "right" ... and I'm not saying this because of Shaffe, I say it in general for anyone who is going to say something against or in favor of the car.

This is my perspective of what I see in the car, the heritage that I see in it, and I love it, and if they do not agree well that is respected, every taste must be respected

And now without further ado I will show in photos those features that I talked about above
Great effort into over emphasizing something that is just not obvious , to me anyway, in these comparisons. Looks as always are very subjective, and this proves it.

The refresh still looks way more like a Charger than any previous gen Camaro, and one can easily I mistake the Charger for the Camaro SS from the front.

Last edited by x55cam; 06-27-2018 at 10:40 PM.
x55cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:40 PM   #2482
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefemanG View Post
No doubt the 6th gen was an improvement over the 5th without radically overhauling the platform or styling, but I think he's referring to the refresh.
The platform was an overhaul, the styling (which I loved) wasn't that different from the 5th generation. The platform was a huge step up from the Zeta platform and the 7th generation Camaro will sit on the Alpha 2 platform which will be lighter then the current Alpha platform.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:50 PM   #2483
x55cam

Drives: Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
The platform was an overhaul, the styling (which I loved) wasn't that different from the 5th generation. The platform was a huge step up from the Zeta platform and the 7th generation Camaro will sit on the Alpha 2 platform which will be lighter then the current Alpha platform.
The platform of the 6th gen without a doubt makes the refresh very acceptable. Did GM have to make the changes to the appearance from the the 5th because of the change to the new platform? I don't know but I would have easily been very happy with the technical changes, only.

I just feel that the more changes they make to it's appearance , year to year, you wound up with something that is morphed to the extreme of being unrecognizable. Sort of like what Michael Jackson made himself into with all those plastic surgeries.
x55cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:14 AM   #2484
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by x55cam View Post
Great effort into over emphasizing something that is just not obvious , to me anyway, in these comparisons. Looks as always are very subjective, and this proves it.

The refresh still looks way more like a Charger than any previous gen Camaro, and one can easily I mistake the Charger for the Camaro SS from the front.
Subjective or not, there is something certain ... They will never be the same or look alike:

1983 (Sorry)

(2017 but Wharevah)

JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:58 AM   #2485
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
JhonnyGTR,

Thanks for the photo-walk down memory lane. About the last two pics...I know how “thrilled” everyone is about the similar blackout look of the Charger and SS grills, but there is a reason for that. In order to meet EPA regs, engines have to operate a lot more efficiently. For a whole host of reasons, that by and large means “take in a lot more air”. Toyota started down this path a little earlier than others, followed soon by Mazda. Both have engines with better than 40% thermal efficiency. That’s the big catch phrase in engine development these days. Thermal efficiency. For decades, gasoline engines have tended to be in the mid to high 20%s for thermal efficiency. Diesels around low 40s.

Now gasoline engines are borrowing technologies from Diesel engines (direct injection being the most obvious) but are also approaching diesel levels of compression ratio and attempting to get close to diesel levels of thermal efficiency. Once you go down the path of needing a lot more air, you commit to openings like the mouth of a baleen whale. Look at the Lexus (Toyota) spindle grills, the Mazda 3 fascia, and now the grill areas of the Charger, Camaro, and upcoming GT500. All similar.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:39 AM   #2486
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Thanks for the photo-walk down memory lane. About the last two pics...I know how “thrilled” everyone is about the similar blackout look of the Charger and SS grills, but there is a reason for that.
Still could have the grille in bodycolor and a flowtie in the upper grille which fixes like 90% of what bothers people on the SS frontend
Old 06-28-2018, 06:40 AM   #2487
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
JhonnyGTR,
In order to meet EPA regs, engines have to operate a lot more efficiently. For a whole host of reasons, that by and large means “take in a lot more air”.
Now gasoline engines are borrowing technologies from Diesel engines (direct injection being the most obvious) but are also approaching diesel levels of compression ratio and attempting to get close to diesel levels of thermal efficiency. Once you go down the path of needing a lot more air, you commit to openings like the mouth of a baleen whale. Look at the Lexus (Toyota) spindle grills, the Mazda 3 fascia, and now the grill areas of the Charger, Camaro, and upcoming GT500. All similar.
Hard to buy the notion that large grilles are a functional necessity to provide more air. V12's, V10's, and the many auto diesels than were commonplace in Europe all seemed to breathe just fine with ordinary fronts. Even if there is merit to the theory of needing more air, the blacked out/body colored fangs look of the SS does more to drop jaws of critics than open airways for engines.
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:43 AM   #2488
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
JhonnyGTR,

Thanks for the photo-walk down memory lane. About the last two pics...I know how “thrilled” everyone is about the similar blackout look of the Charger and SS grills, but there is a reason for that. In order to meet EPA regs, engines have to operate a lot more efficiently. For a whole host of reasons, that by and large means “take in a lot more air”. Toyota started down this path a little earlier than others, followed soon by Mazda. Both have engines with better than 40% thermal efficiency. That’s the big catch phrase in engine development these days. Thermal efficiency. For decades, gasoline engines have tended to be in the mid to high 20%s for thermal efficiency. Diesels around low 40s.

That's interesting and helps to make alot of sense as to why cars often end up with similar looks. Some however do a much better job at using the cards they are dealt while maintaining good looks.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #2489
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
Black stripes really work on the SS. Add black wheels and make it a Coupe and the it looks really cool imho

Old 06-28-2018, 07:54 AM   #2490
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weege View Post
Hard to buy the notion that large grilles are a functional necessity to provide more air. V12's, V10's, and the many auto diesels than were commonplace in Europe all seemed to breathe just fine with ordinary fronts. Even if there is merit to the theory of needing more air, the blacked out/body colored fangs look of the SS does more to drop jaws of critics than open airways for engines.
I don't think he's referencing intake efficiency when he says thermal efficiency. I'm reading this as airflow around the engine, not breathability. I'm sure I could be wrong.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #2491
SDG23

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
I do agree the RS looks better than the SS on the '19 refresh and like the poster above stated, the black stripe on the '19 SS does help, but it's like putting makeup on an ugly girl, better technically but still ugly.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #2492
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
The giant grill opening still has the cross bar like a normal bumper, it's just grill colored now. As far as I know, bumper color doesn't effect air flow.

It's just an ugly design trend in the industry currently.

The new Toyota Avalon is the worst, looks like an alien catfish.

Tags
2019 camaro refresh, 2020 camrao, becky, beckyd, camaro refresh, camarodestroyed, new camaro, ugly camaro, wtf?!?!