Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #309
PIC

Drives: 2005 YJM6 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharp View Post
So should kooks not have to back these up? These babys are like 100 bucks for junk!
If people are getting these many problems out of their cats then they need to be talked to and they need to pay for replacements, although replacements wouldnt matter because they suck anyways. If I were you guys, I would get a hold of kooks and ask them who their supplier is, which is more than likely Random Technologies. Give random tech a call and ask why their cats are such big pieces of garbage and demand they get replaced.

The company I work for supplies for ARH, Bassanni and Magnaflow and so far we have only got 1 person that has messaged me about a detonated cat, which can more than likely be traced back to our heat treating furnace. We had major over heat problems with it a couple months ago and it more than likely weakened some of the cores, thats our bad. But I can't tell you the hundreds and hundreds of posts ive seen on many different forums about kooks, dynatech, slp and stainless works cats, which are all supplied by, you name it.....random technologies.
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #310
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PI_CATALYTIC View Post
Thanks man, from what I hear we are the only cat manufacturer that's coming out and saying that there needs to be a design change for sure on boosted applications and even non-boosted applications. I will be talking with alot of shops around my area and some big shops such as Hennessey and Lingenfelter for example to see if they can send me pictures or the cats themselves that have failed so we can see what needs to be changed.

As far as Dynatech goes, I believe they are supplied by Random Technologies, we've been hearing from alot of people that their cats are failing hardcore. We've done our own in house testing with them and just visually we can tell that our design is much better. We just have to get the heat dissipation and everything figured out so we can get you guys a product that will stand up to boost and heat.
WOW, I'm impressed a cat manufacturer actually can see the need for improvement for the high HP boosted cars and is taking action

Talk with Graham at Lingenfelter - I'm sure he can give great feedback and hopefully pictures too.
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #311
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
The company I work for supplies for ARH, Bassanni and Magnaflow and so far we have only got 1 person that has messaged me about a detonated cat, which can more than likely be traced back to our heat treating furnace. We had major over heat problems with it a couple months ago and it more than likely weakened some of the cores, thats our bad. But I can't tell you the hundreds and hundreds of posts ive seen on many different forums about kooks, dynatech, slp and stainless works cats, which are all supplied by, you name it.....random technologies.
I feel a little better now.. My cats are Magnaflow and purchased through SouthWestSpeed for install with my Doug Thorley LTs..
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #312
PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue70SS View Post
WOW, I'm impressed a cat manufacturer actually can see the need for improvement for the high HP boosted cars and is taking action

Talk with Graham at Lingenfelter - I'm sure he can give great feedback and hopefully pictures too.
I'll tell you this. Almost all of our employees drive muscle cars or some kind of performance vehicle. We are a bunch of gear heads up there, we talk shop literally all day. The owner of our company is a big gear head too he drives a Maserati Gran Turismo Quattro GT and is about to get a Gallardo. When I told him last thursday that I was hearing reports about failed cats in boosted applications he told me to have a design ready for him by wednesday morning so we can start testing and pre-production.

I'll be sure to give Graham a call.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #313
PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
I feel a little better now.. My cats are Magnaflow and purchased through SouthWestSpeed for install with my Doug Thorley LTs..
We supply the company that supplies Doug Thorley, you're in good hands bro lol
Old 01-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #314
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Who makes or supplies the cats for JBA???
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #315
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Quote:
We supply the company that supplies Doug Thorley, you're in good hands bro lol
FYI, I'm pretty sure some ARH cats blew out at LPE
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #316
PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue70SS View Post
FYI, I'm pretty sure some ARH cats blew out at LPE
OK, thanks for the info. I haven't got around to calling them yet but I will here before the end of the week. It seems everybodies cats are failing under boosted applications, even ours. We kind of have a design already in place, were just waiting for materials.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #317
PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Who makes or supplies the cats for JBA???
Pertronix supplies JBA and we supply pertronix.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #318
TCAT

Quote:
Pertronix supplies JBA and we supply pertronix.
Gotcha. Thank you. So, that may be better news as yours don't have much failure rates in comparison to the competition. Hopefully I'll be safe for a bit.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #319
PIC

Quote:
Gotcha. Thank you. So, that may be better news as yours don't have much failure rates in comparison to the competition. Hopefully I'll be safe for a bit.
IF you ever have a problem with them please let me know, I'd love to try and help you out man.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #320
TCAT

Thanks. I truly appreciate it. It's not to have a company find this thread and notice that there may indeed be a problem that's needs a remedy.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #321
PIC

Quote:
Thanks. I truly appreciate it. It's not to have a company find this thread and notice that there may indeed be a problem that's needs a remedy.
I think we have a really good design were going to try out, my boss just sent me the CAD renderings with all the specs. It looks awesome.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #322
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
@PI_CATALYTIC; Are you going to be selling these new "high" performance cats directly to consumers? I'd love to test out on this platform.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194591

I'd say if you pass this test you'll be good.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote