Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #29
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Is your SS fixed yet?
Fixed? You mean my little air bag incident? Yeah I got it back together for a third of what the dealer wanted. Wasn't that hard, and with the interior tore down I'm having a harness/roll bar made. Still looking how to disable the air bag system completely for the track.

I'm also in the process of upgrading my sways to the FE4 style, ZL1 hubs and 1LE axles. I have a few other mods in the works to help with the track as well.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #30
bannonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUBslow View Post
Also, dont waste your money on corner balancing unless you are going to the track often. Use your money on something more important.

Lastly, this is from info@peddersUSA.com -

"Corner balancing should be the last thing you do for open track events. To do it properly, you will need coil overs, adjustable sway bar end links on all 4 corners. But you should really have a complete upgrade prior to truly gain any positive benifits.

but for aggressive street driving, it is not worth it."

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70402
Duh!! Look at my signature pics. WTF do you think I'm doing.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #31
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
Duh!! Look at my signature pics. WTF do you think I'm doing.
Sunday drive
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #32
Big C CamaroSS

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Slight thread hi-jack.....what's "corner balancing? I have my beautiful red Pedders 1" lowering coils ready to go on next spring and I want to as much information so I have all my bases covered.
Big C CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #33
bannonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C CamaroSS View Post
Slight thread hi-jack.....what's "corner balancing? I have my beautiful red Pedders 1" lowering coils ready to go on next spring and I want to as much information so I have all my bases covered.
Instead a writing a paper I'll refer you to this link.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performa...nerbalance.htm

The equipment my friend has uses 4 digital strain gauges that the wheels are set on that feed an electronic box that displays the loading (weight) from each wheel. They look like bathroom scales without the readout.

Then you either sit in the car or put weights on the drivers seat to equal your weight. From there it's pretty much as that link discusses adjusting the coilovers to shift the weight around.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #34
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:

The equipment my friend has uses 4 digital strain gauges that the wheels are set on that feed an electronic box that displays the loading (weight) from each wheel. They look like bathroom scales without the readout.

Then you either sit in the car or put weights on the drivers seat to equal your weight. From there it's pretty much as that link discusses adjusting the coilovers to shift the weight around.
Nice Link on corner balancing. Thanks for providing that...even if it does hijack the thread a little. I don't really mind though. To me the purpose of these forums is to educate and learn. That's why it bug's me a lttle when people always tell new comers to "Use the Search Button". Unfortunately these forums are not set up as the best data bases for searching so it can be rather difficult to find what you are looking for sometimes. Plus sometimes the results are 2 or 3 years old and new knowlege might be out there that isn't discussed in a two year old thread. Therefore I think your reply is right on topic and perfect!

Thanks Bannonm!
Nick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #35
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
My car already bottoms out at the splitter getting into and out of parking lots and parking garages. I can't imagine lowering it further. What's more this is a daily driver.

I'm wondering are many of you are lowering the car b/c the low profile tires look tiny in the wheel wells? Or are you doing it for performance and handling reasons?
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #36
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:

Good post and reference. I would add disconnect your sway bars when you start work with the scales. Having adjustable length endlinks is a big plus too.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #37
bannonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
I'm hoping I could get one of you 1LE owners to take a few quick measurments of your cars ride height at the front and rear tires. Preferably from the ground up to the bottom of the wheel well arch just above the top center of the tire.
Since I just recently put pics of my new ZL1/1LE wheels up in the photo's section there's a common "suggestion" being made to lower the car. I know the overall tire diameter of the 1LE tires is smaller than the stock SS Pirelli's so that will make the gap in the wheel well larger and make the car look like it's riding higher too. But I was wondering if the 1LE suspension will lower the car a little to make that wheel well gap look better.

Thanks.

Nick.
Nick, so getting back on track with your question. The SS's height is 54.7", the SS/1LE is 54.2" as is the ZL1. That 1/2" difference is mostly due to the tires. So I doubt moving to the 1LE suspension is going to help you with what you are looking to do regarding lowering the car and decreasing the fender gap. You are probably going to have to look at coilovers or springs. If I read your post correctly you don't have a 1LE, just the ZL1 wheel/tire setup. So just with that you are height of a 1LE. But you want to get rid of the fender gap and that will take springs or coilovers. Here's a side shot of my SS with 285s and lowered one inch. Compare this to the 1LE pics that Tramtwo posted a link to. Quite a bit of difference. I have lined up next to a ZL1 and my overall height difference is noticeable as is the fender gap.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #38
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Nick, so getting back on track with your question. The SS's height is 54.7", the SS/1LE is 54.2" as is the ZL1. That 1/2" difference is mostly due to the tires. So I doubt moving to the 1LE suspension is going to help you with what you are looking to do regarding lowering the car and decreasing the fender gap. You are probably going to have to look at coilovers or springs. If I read your post correctly you don't have a 1LE, just the ZL1 wheel/tire setup. So just with that you are height of a 1LE. But you want to get rid of the fender gap and that will take springs or coilovers. Here's a side shot of my SS with 285s and lowered one inch. Compare this to the 1LE pics that Tramtwo posted a link to. Quite a bit of difference. I have lined up next to a ZL1 and my overall height difference is noticeable as is the fender gap.

Thanks for clarifying these height dimensions Bannonm! I have been talking with Pete via PM's and I think I've decided that the Pedders Pace Car Z package will be the package for me! Now I just need to figure out when I can afford it and when I'm going to catch a good sale.
Nick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #39
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Fixed? You mean my little air bag incident? Yeah I got it back together for a third of what the dealer wanted. Wasn't that hard, and with the interior tore down I'm having a harness/roll bar made. Still looking how to disable the air bag system completely for the track.

I'm also in the process of upgrading my sways to the FE4 style, ZL1 hubs and 1LE axles. I have a few other mods in the works to help with the track as well.
Cool. Hope you get the rest figured out.