Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Old 06-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #29
whaler

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Fun View Post
OMG.............. I know who the he!! you are!!!!!! That's not fair......... I've been "here" forever!!!!!!
LOL, I knew you get it eventually Almost 10 posts!

Love all the info, Elite catch can on the way.

USA #1
PS 103
whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #30
thirdgenbum
Mullet-mobile driver

Drives: turdgen k-maro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Here is a link to a study by the University of Maine's Engineering department:
http://umaine.edu/met/capstone-proje...arator-team-2/
did you read this link? i appreciate that these guys did a study on it, but there was no data on that page, nothing that proved anything. it was just a summary of some theories.

i 100% believe that the catch cans work. after thinking about it a little more, i believe you are right about oil vapor going back into combustion chamber causing possible detonation situations. of course anytime the pcm picks up detonation, it immediately pulls timing and goes fat to try to get it under control. i'm aware of this also. what is the ppm concentration of oil vapor that's causing this though? seems that if that much oil was getting in, that there would be other things going way wrong. i feel like the engineers at gm, ford, chrysler, toyota, and every other major manufacturer would have addressed these problems if they were that detrimental, especially since mpg is the name of the game these days.

i will say, that in a forced induction situation, a catch can should be a priority.

my beef is with how they are marketed. it has to be one of the most talked about topics on the forum....i mean, these things should be pretty simple and cost in the 60-80 dollar range. 42 draft designs sells one for $250 and it doesn't even come with fittings! you seem to have a good head on your shoulders, and you may not be doing it, but there is blatant aggressive marketing tactics by some of the sponsors on here selling these over priced tanks to these unsuspecting check book hotrodders.

of course, it's a free market (which i believe in 100%) so maybe i should just commend you guys.

370"lsx/t56 thirdgen....11.24@125 with tons of work left to do!
"Like" MotorManiaTV on Facebook!
thirdgenbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #31
SS4Fun
and that it is!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/ SLP ZL575 #70
Thanks everyone............. I really appreciate all the info!!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #32
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Just go to the link...the 42 draft is good, but still lets oil pass through, and every manufacturer is fighting this and has been for years. GM on the LS v8 alone has made over 20 different design chages all the way to the latest LT1 DI V8 with " special oil separating valve cover system to reduce oil ingestion".

From the first move to the LS6 valley from the valve covers with poor baffels, but no manufacturer can add a separating system that will trap and stop all without adding the step of needing to drain it as the concentrates of the compounds cant be returned to the engine oil, and the trend is away from maintenance, not adding more.

But good dialog. If you search here and read the links to the pictures of the cans dissected you can see all the differences so no way to make one less expensive than the RX that can separate and trap all the oil.

Read the link to the pictures and go through that whole thread (long I know, but your being civil and seem to want to understand it).

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #33
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
So another interesting question is if you have a catch can, (even if you don't), should you also have an oil breather cap?

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #34
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
So another interesting question is if you have a catch can, (even if you don't), should you also have an oil breather cap?
I think so. It allows fresh air into the crank case. However, you may have to get a your car tuned as this extra ventilation may allow un-metered air into the intake, and cause the computer to become confused. Confused computers will say "CEL".

Not sure if I got all the verbiage and articulated the answer correctly. But hope I am close. Tracy can probably confirm. I think it was he that informed me of that info, about fresh air circulating into the motor.
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #35
thirdgenbum
Mullet-mobile driver

Drives: turdgen k-maro
you would just plug the hole to the intake, and allow the fresh air inlet for the crankcase be ONLY ambient, instead of through the intake tube. not sure how the pcm will react to that though. my experience with it is on gen III ls1/ls6 stuff.

370"lsx/t56 thirdgen....11.24@125 with tons of work left to do!
"Like" MotorManiaTV on Facebook!
thirdgenbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #36
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Correct. You don't want unlimited unmetered air entering or the MAF is telling the PCM one set of data, the MAP another, and the upstream O2's a 3rd and if they are not within the parameters the PCM expects, the fuel trims go nuts as the PCM tries to adapt.

The RX breather has a flow controlling valve to only allow in an amount the PCM can adapt to.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #37
SS4Fun
and that it is!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/ SLP ZL575 #70
OK.......... I'm going to go with the RX, but I want the "bling" hardware!!!! Just need to find it??