Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #12349
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Agreed. But if you can get those brakes for 5k do you gain back all of the 3 seconds? or just a portion? And more importantly is it more than a Z/28?
While it will definitely help I think in any race more than a couple of laps the ZL1 is going to start losing any made up ground due to heat soak. I think..... but I could be wrong. Pete?

Quote:
Just saw a commercial from one of my "most hated" companies, Walmart.

Offering a job to any and all honorably discharged veterans. Now I don't know if that means a good full time job with benefits or the typical Walmart part time job. Don't know what or if any * are involved.

Now I've not liked Walmart since watching them destroy small communities and farming towns in the 80s. But if this is an offer for a real, no BS full time job with benefits, then I at least have tip my hat to them.

Thoughts?
Knowing a few people that went that route the jobs are usually the part time gigs.... Like I said thats only a few people so I don't know if it's enough to base an opinion off of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Fast cars, good friends and great conversation...not much else needed. Ok maybe a good beer or two.

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #12350
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
This Z/28 is what I would have designed and build had I the opportunity. My ’91 hasn’t had a radio, speakers, or rear seats in a decade. The ‘dream’ build sheet for that car includes an LS7 and CC rotors as available. So I’ve been thinking about this Z/28 quite a bit since the announcement. To me what others see as stripped, I see as loaded.

I was slated to be a ZL1 2012 owner but the weight and FI power plant never really sat right with me. In spite of this, I came within a few words of placing an order but the constraint on the matte black without having seen the gray stripe caused me to hold off.

Due to many reasons / circumstances / etc. I ended up with a 2008 Viper instead. I planned on waiting for MY 2015 in hopes of an LS9 or other performance upgrades to the ZL1 (part of me thinks this is still a possibility). Enter Z/28.

Now the car I always thought I wanted is here. And believe me, if I had endless amounts of money it would be mine. So what is my hold up? The Z/28 is an all out track car. Perfect! Or is it? I suppose my priorities have changed as often happens in life.

Now that I have a suitable 2-seat track car, the point of a Camaro for me would be the 4 seats to haul my family around every so often between track days. Would they appreciate the lack of A/C (I most certainly wouldn’t order it); open speaker grates to the trunk / exhaust; and lack of sound insulation? If my wife dislikes the Viper for the ‘discomfort’ I’d only imagine her thoughts on the Z/28. This means, sigh -perhaps for my use, the ZL1 or 1LE is a better car for me.

Then there are the “logical” arguments over the 4 seats and heavier weight of the Z/28 over a Corvette / Viper / etc. If just buying a track car, why not eliminate two of the seats? The old answer was $$$$ - the Camaro is cheaper! Now the reality of the matter is the Z/28 price is going to push the envelope. Hopefully the Z/28 doesn’t hit the $70k mark or it will indeed be a tough pill to swallow for many, although I know, certainly they will price it as fairly as possible.

Maybe this is a case of right car, wrong time for me. I’m not sure my point here other than to declare my dilemma. For sure I am a very lucky person to have a dilemma like this.

Now I am really starting to understand this picture!
Attached Images

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #12351
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Good afternoon folks. I just found this thread based on a post elsewhere by Lowdown.

Word has it that people who actually have experience or understanding of first gen Z/28's carry on intelligent conversation here without arguing.

May I play?

Here are my creds
Attached Images

Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #12352
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
Good afternoon folks. I just found this thread based on a post elsewhere by Lowdown.

Word has it that people who actually have experience or understanding of first gen Z/28's carry on intelligent conversation here without arguing.

May I play?

Here are my creds
Welcome to the house!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #12353
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:

May I play?

Here are my creds
Nice! Even the old econoline van is cool after ~50 yrs..... "Driver always the first at the scene of an accident" (an old cabover trucker joke)
Old 04-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #12354
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Sooooooooooooooooo if you put the Z/28 brakes on a ZL1........................what happens then?
The ZL1 stops better. The Z/28 still beats it all day long. I could make a longer list, but these should cover it.

1. The ZL1 is limited by the front wheel and tire sizes.
2. The Z/28's lower CG (dropped the car 33mm) allows it to carry more speed in the corners.
3. 300 pounds lighter is another Z/28 advantage.
4. The Z/28 has a differential more suited to the track giving it an advantage putting power down out of the corners.
5. The Z/28 has an aero advantage over the ZL1 the create down force for improved cornering (but with a reduction in top speed).
6. The Z/28 is sprung for a road course at the direct expense of ride comfort for reduced lap times.
7. Tires D.O.T. Street Legal Slicks vs specially compounded GYs. Slam Dunk Z/28.

On tracks with long straights and sweeping turns the ZL1 with CC brakes will be close to the Z/28 for single throw down lap time. Take the same cars to a tight technical track and the Z/28 will really shine. Run 20 laps and the Z/28 walks away on any track.

#3, your thoughts?

Last edited by JusticePete; 04-01-2013 at 05:24 PM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #12355
JusticePete

Quote:
Like I said that's just my guess. I have no idea what went on behind closed doors or who was there. But I have heard Mr. R was a strong voice for this track tour de force.
When you say 'I have no idea what went on...' it sounds very similar to 'I can't comment on future product."
Old 04-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #12356
JusticePete

So I am a little late in using the multi-quote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
The house is value added to my camaro ownership... you guys have WAY more experience in the camaro/car world than I. So I lurked for several weeks... saw how y'all tolerated Pete and figured I wouldn't make things any worse and took the plunge.

Yall are my type of people... No way any car would be cooler than y'all. Don't tell but I have tried to bring some of this "Z" attitude to the 1LE side.... another great group of guys.
Not many complainers there!! Maybe it is all the A6 guys causin problems. :O
I can feel the love in the House

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Fast cars, good friends and great conversation...not much else needed. Ok maybe a good beer or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Welcome to the house!
I'll second that!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #12357
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Thanks guys. The '69 was my second car. The first was a '64 Chevelle. Too bad we (I) didn't know then what we know now about preserving and originality things.

The '69 was a daily driver, and was "what I really wanted 4 years earlier". I drove it from '73 to '76. The rally wheels, carb, intake and exhaust mainfolds got away in favor of "better" along the way, but same goes for so many of them.

The white '68 was bone stock except the paint, hood and added PS. (I kept all the original parts) The cars' paint actually could have been kept, but it had a small baseball dent in the top, and the typical back window corner stuff going on. I put the PS on it so my wife could steer the thing and I didn't have to wrestle it so much

It was my garage queen from 1980 to 1990. I ran the odometer from 52,000 to 55,000 miles. I succumbed to an offer for it, but I did make another investment that is worth quite a bit more now, so all fair, no regrets, other than very good memories and appreciation

Darryl
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #12358
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Here are my creds
LOWDOWN?! That blabbermouth?!

Your credentials seem to be in order, so WELCOME!

Now...about that secret handshake...
Stogies to the left us, drinks to the right, here I am, stuck in ShnoZ' HouZe again!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #12359
Mr Twisty

All these extra threads in the Z/28 section are kinda pissing me off ... should be an age limit and cover charge to get in. Example: (just one of hundreds)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
the Z/28 is an overpriced stripped out snoozefest than any properly modded Camaro will flat destroy for less. We have 3 LSX cars in my club alone that will flat leave the Z/28 in a smoking hole in the ground wondering what hit it be it drag strip or autocross while playing the stereo and keeping cool in the AC..
the car is a total miss of the mark that will end up in collectors garages that's about it.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #12360
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Some don't realize this Section wasn't created last Wednesday afternoon...

But, as we were with the car that arrived, Wednesday, we WILL be patient...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #12361
Mr Twisty

Can see a generation gap in the posts as well.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #12362
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Some don't realize this Section wasn't created last Wednesday afternoon...

But, as we were with the car that arrived, Wednesday, we WILL be patient...
Shno's house is pushing four years old... sweet!

Check out the first post... kind of sadistic

Quote:
Just a simple thread for you to come in and say "Hi Shnomac. How's it going. I hope you are doing ok and wanting a Z28 is killing you over there."

Maybe chit chat about how cool it will be if they announce it and that kind of stuff.

Shouldn't preclude you from starting a separate thread, "If GM does a Z28 should the badge be on the grill or on the fender?" or "I hope OnStar can't read the difference between the front tire revolutions and the back tire revolutions cuz then they'd know I was doing burn outs" or "Do you think they should offer door glass delete to save mass? A race car doesn't have side windows"

But mostly because I personally give Shnomac such a hard time and create so much stress in his life about the Z28 that I just wanted to create a place where he can come be among lots of friends to get him through this tough time.

So Shno's House of Z, OPEN For Business.

What'll you have tonight, sir?

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014