Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 12-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #1
vesi

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS 45th Anniv.
Send a message via AIM to vesi
Snow tires?

What are most of you doing for snow tires?

Will i be able to get through the winter without them? lol

I checked tirerack.com and a few tire shops and it seems the cheapest i can get snow tires to fit the RS wheels is $230 per tire.... Seems expensive to me but i haven't bought tires in along time.
vesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
SirBrad
The Captain

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS SIM
I know a few of the owners from our meetups that are using their cars as daily drivers are sticking with the RS tires. I can’t imagine why.

I ordered a set of 18” all season LT wheels/tires on Ebay for $900 this summer and am finally having them installed on Saturday. I know they’re not snow tires, but should be an upgrade from the RS tires.
SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
Darqueling

Drives: 2SSRS Yellow w/ Blk BB Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
I know a few of the owners from our meetups that are using their cars as daily drivers are sticking with the RS tires. I can’t imagine why.
Cause winters in NJ are a joke and it really doesn't snow much here at all. The wheels are plenty fine, just don't hot dog it and just be careful. There is enough technology in these cars that you should be alright if you just drive normally. I am not concerned at all about changing out tires, between the TC, weight of the car, and tons of other factors, I think I'll be fine. Personally I would be more worried about the idiot drivers who don't know how to drive in the snow. Then again I also drove in the great snow conditions known as Lake Effect Snow while I went to school in Ithaca, NY, I was driving a FWD '95 v6 Honda Accord that didn't have its ABS working and really old worn tires, rarely ever had a problem as I just drove smart and cautiously while others even in AWD Subarus would get stuck trying to get up some of the hills.

If you remember about 3 years ago we had a huge dump of snow in the course of 12 hours, something like 12" or so that closed most of the state and Philly. I was driving through that storm and didn't have any issues, but while I was on the Betsey Ross Bridge, some hot shot in his Benz was flying down the road, well he lost control and slammed into the divider and I just coasted by cause I wasn't driving like an idiot.

Anyway, it really comes down to personal preference, but its a lot of money. If you feel comfortable driving in snow (all of the 2" NJ ever gets) and just take it carefully, and you'll be fine. But if you do not feel comfortable then either invest in a good pair of snow tires, or buy a beater to drive during the winter. That and keep an eye out for idiots, snow tires wont save you from other peoples' poor choices.
Darqueling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
ArtfulDodger

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 BLK/BLK,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqueling View Post
Cause winters in NJ are a joke and it really doesn't snow much here at all. The wheels are plenty fine, just don't hot dog it and just be careful. There is enough technology in these cars that you should be alright if you just drive normally. I am not concerned at all about changing out tires, between the TC, weight of the car, and tons of other factors, I think I'll be fine. Personally I would be more worried about the idiot drivers who don't know how to drive in the snow. Then again I also drove in the great snow conditions known as Lake Effect Snow while I went to school in Ithaca, NY, I was driving a FWD '95 v6 Honda Accord that didn't have its ABS working and really old worn tires, rarely ever had a problem as I just drove smart and cautiously while others even in AWD Subarus would get stuck trying to get up some of the hills.

If you remember about 3 years ago we had a huge dump of snow in the course of 12 hours, something like 12" or so that closed most of the state and Philly. I was driving through that storm and didn't have any issues, but while I was on the Betsey Ross Bridge, some hot shot in his Benz was flying down the road, well he lost control and slammed into the divider and I just coasted by cause I wasn't driving like an idiot.

Anyway, it really comes down to personal preference, but its a lot of money. If you feel comfortable driving in snow (all of the 2" NJ ever gets) and just take it carefully, and you'll be fine. But if you do not feel comfortable then either invest in a good pair of snow tires, or buy a beater to drive during the winter. That and keep an eye out for idiots, snow tires wont save you from other peoples' poor choices.
Well said!!!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
8ty8 ls1
Resident Engineer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 1988 GMC S-15
for my ss, i ordered 4 blizzak 245's. they will fit all the way around and are the best winter performance tires IMO

12.68 @ 109: LSR cai, Borla S-type axle-back, Tunes
8ty8 ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
SirBrad
The Captain

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS SIM
Two things:

1. yes I am more worried about other drivers driving like idiots more than I’m worried about myself getting around – RS tires or not.

2. After living in Pittsburgh my entire life, last winter was a treat. And that was even including the areas largest snowstorm in 10 years I believe.

I drive 36 miles one way to work…I’ll feel more secure with all season tires and a lot of sand in my trunk than I would without either. I know this Camaro is supposed to be better and all, but I drove around my 96 Z-28 in 6 Pittsburgh winters and have some horrible flashbacks. Never wrecked but got stuck many of times. Luckily New Jersey (especially along the shore and my drive to work) is about as flat as the middle of Kansas compared to Pittsburgh, which is about as bad as San Francisco with hills.

If I drove about 10 miles to work, my old commute before the office moved was 3.5 miles, I wouldn’t do anything. But 35 miles in more than 2” of snow can end up being a real problem.
SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
vesi

Well i parked on a little bit of snow the other day at work because the place wasnt plowed fully, not thinking it would be a problem.

I pressed the gas to park a little further up and my car didn''t move. Tires kept spinning lol. I backed out of that spot into another. Same thing happened when i tried leaving though, tires would spin, a few tries later i got out of it though.

Just made me nervous of what might happen when it REALLY snows.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
8ty8 ls1
Resident Engineer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 1988 GMC S-15
blizzaks and some weight in the truck are your friends

12.68 @ 109: LSR cai, Borla S-type axle-back, Tunes
8ty8 ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #9
vesi

Blizzaks are like $250 a tire though aren't they
Old 12-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
If we drive on " Summer only " tires around here in the winter, (snow or no snow) and there was an accident it is an ticketable offence. The liability will cost a lot more than some tires.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #11
bkwagonss

Drives: 2011 Caprice PPV
I'm looking around right now for Blizzaks or the Pirelli Scorpions.
The Pirelli's are around $1000 for the 20" SS wheels from Tire Rack.
I've been quoted $1300 from a local tire store.
I decided to get winter tires for a couple of reasons.
First, even though we don't get much snow here in NJ, it does get cold.
And these tires get real slippery in the cold.
I also wanted a second set of tires and wheels.
I really don't want to be without a spare.
I origionally was going to get a set of winter 18" wheels and tires.
But now I decided to buy a set of chrome SS wheels.
So I'm going to put the summer tires on the chrome wheels and winter tires on the polished wheels.
1971 C10 (restoring, including LT1 from Caprice)
bkwagonss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #12
vesi

I found the Pirelli Scorpions for 230-250 per tire, the Blizzaks for 300+ per tire and then these Yokohama Parada all season's for 140 per.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....r=RS%20Package

Would these all-season tires be worth it? Or not that big of a difference from our Summer tires
Old 12-11-2009, 08:06 AM   #13
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesi View Post
I found the Pirelli Scorpions for 230-250 per tire, the Blizzaks for 300+ per tire and then these Yokohama Parada all season's for 140 per.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....r=RS%20Package

Would these all-season tires be worth it? Or not that big of a difference from our Summer tires
Personally I wouldn't mess with All-Seasons..

I just put 2 of the 275/40/20 Pirelli Scopion snow & ice on the back... We got a fair amount of snow the other day... No problem driving! In fact I watched a full size, front wheel sedan spin out in front of me!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:17 AM   #14
AdamCzap

Drives: 18 zl1, 17 sierra denali
the traction control and EST in this car is awesome. i have Firestone Winterforce tires (cheap, $99 or so from tirerack) on mine and in combination with the car's electronics they work great.
AdamCzap is offline   Reply With Quote