Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
thetournykid

Drives: 03 mustang, Upgrading!!
Custom stripes/other painted??? or go with Ridergraphix "stickers"??? HELP! please

Hello all, first off just want to say, 99 percent of you guys are very helpful, and nice, when it comes to people that dont know much about cars ( i'm pretty much a car virgin lol )

Anyway, i've been saving for a while now, and in 30-60 more days i'm going to be buying a beautiful new black 2ss.

However i dont want a hood stripe package from them, as they dont have the color i want, ( same for the interior but i guess i cant do much about that. )

So i figure i'm going to buy the black camaro, and my original thought was to take it to a paintshop, and have them paint on RED hood spears, red rally stripes on trunk, red gills by the back tire, ( the 3 indentures by the rear tires, unsure of what the actual name is, but u should know what i mean ) Possibley a red stripe on the side of the car as well, lastley i want to get red brake capsules, and black powdercoated rims.

So.. i came across this site http://www.ridergraphix.com/Camaro.html

and we'll they have pretty much everything i'd want in any color red i'd want. ( other then the rims and brake capsules )

So i'd like too know a couple things if anyone can help:

About how much would it cost to do in painting?? just a guesstimate.

Can you tell its not painted if i got the graphixx? and if you can, does that mean it looks cheezy?

What overall looks better do you think, ( im guessing paint )

Bascially, what option do you recomend, and why, also if i were to get it painted, and then wanted a graphixx stripe piece, would it look wierd having that, while other pieces are painted??

So if someone could shed some light on this, i'd be very appriative

Thank you

- Scott

Last edited by thetournykid; 11-09-2010 at 04:39 PM.
thetournykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Uncle Harvey

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
My custom stripes cost $2,200. That might be on the high side. They had to basically disasemble the car. You should try to photoshop your ideas prior to painting. This is a lot easier than doing something that is exspensive and you hate.
Uncle Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
thetournykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Harvey View Post
My custom stripes cost $2,200. That might be on the high side. They had to basically disasemble the car. You should try to photoshop your ideas prior to painting. This is a lot easier than doing something that is exspensive and you hate.

I'm so bad with photoshop, but i mean i'm not too worried about the look, i've seen black and orange and black and white, and i figure black and some bright red will look realll nice

Thats not so much my question, my questions were how does custom painting it, compared to getting these graphyixx that u can just take off?

From the pictures, it looks liek u cant tell, but i'd like someone to tell me if they look cheezy, or you can tell its obvious not paint, or it looks good/bad or what.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
Gonzo

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM 6M
Best thing to do is to go down to the dealer and take a look at the factory stripes - which are all decals. Most people that go with painted stripes want a more custom look than what you can get from the dealer. Personally, I had mine painted because I did not want the stock colors and I wanted stripes that extened beyond the hood and tail spoiler. I can definitely tell the difference between vinyl decal and paint. I think paint looks much cleaner but it also costs 3-5 times as much as vinyl. On the plus side, you can always remove vinyl when you get tired of it and go for a new look.

If you decide to go with paint, be sure you find a reliable painter and check out their work. I have seen some cars that have tried to save some money but the paint job came out very poorly. So do not always shop by price - check the quality of completed jobs.

It comes down to what you want and how much you want to pay.

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS 6M IBM
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I would go with paint 100%.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
Gonzo

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM 6M
Found this pic - similar to what you wanted.

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS 6M IBM
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
without a doubt....HAVE THEM PAINTED ON! you woll be MUCH happier with a quality paint god over stickers.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
maxhunter

Drives: 3... (4 now!) camaros and counting
We bought a SIM with the factory flat black decals..... A week later I had it in the paint shop putting on CGM stripes. I told the guy I want them just like the factory stripes.....but wrap the rear stripes half way down the spoiler.
I also specified I wanted the hood, deck lid and spoiler removed and completely cleared. I really didn't want them painted on the car.....tape edges or sratches from draggin drop clothes or paper across the fenders... So it did cost me a little extra to have the parts removed and re-installed.
The paint guy asked if I wanted any other changes and I said no I wanted them to look like the factory had painted them on.
I went to pick up the car to find that they even left the reveal on the hood and deck lid! And on the underside of the hood and trunk lid you can barely see that they prepped about a 1/2 inch wrap around where the clear was layed on the underneath side too.
The shop I took it to, did an fantastic job (I think) All for just over $1300.00
Plus after waiting 90 days,(ugh) I could wax the whole car and not fight any wax build up on the stripes.
From what you are discribing you may have less paint but maybe more prep work with the gills...
Here you decide what you think....

here you can see the reaveal on the deck lid.....
Old 11-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
Hess Motorsports
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS with WAY TOO MANY MODS
Go with paint! We can help ya out!
Hess Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
ZooDad

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Go custom.
Mine are high res printed vinyl with lament overlay.

I actually went through numerous revisions to get this.

This is #15

ZooDad
ZooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
maxhunter

Drives: 3... (4 now!) camaros and counting
Looks good.....can you wax those?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
I say go with the paint but maybe I am just a little bias.
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #13
ZooDad

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhunter View Post
Looks good.....can you wax those?
I Do !

ZooDad
ZooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #14
thetournykid

Wow guys, thanks alot for all your responses, i'm still a bit torn here, i love the black/red idea, but damn zoodad that custom is sooo tight, you say it only cost you 1.2k? I've been hearing all diffrent prices for paint, from, $500 to $5000 for what i wanted done

I was also considering white with a bunch of black stripes , AHHHH IM SOOO TORNNN LOL

If anyone has any pictures of black or white camaros, with somthing sick as stripes, please post, or link me, i've been up and down all the picture posts, and used the search feature multiple times, yet i can only find 1-2 cars that resimble what i want

Lookin for other ideas i just want somthing really sick lookin ( dont we all )