Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 08-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #15
naikaidriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
A fast car that goes off the line to pass a slow car on the line is an idiot. I'm learning so much about camshafts and racing.
Something important to remember about track days is "This is NOT a race and there are no trophies." Before every track day at the driver's meeting this mantra is repeated but still you get hot shots that either ignore that advice, or once they get out on the track, think they are Ayrton Senna.

Last year I was at Pacific Raceways and there was a guy with a brand-new 2018 ZL1. Over the course of the day I let him by twice and each time I said to myself, "This guy is driving like an idiot. He's going to destroy that car!"

Sure enough on the last few laps of the last session, he overcorrected and put it into a wall at 100mph. Thankfully the driver was unhurt but the car was a total loss.

I do about 5-7 track days a year between two tracks and I would say on average, 5 cars per season are destroyed by people driving beyond their skill level or equipment failure. Just don't let it be you.

Scott
Diablo T1000 with Phastek custom tune, K&N Intake, Hurst Short-Throw Shifter, Flowmaster, Outlaw II Exhaust, BMR 1" Lowering Springs, BMR 3-way Adjustable Anti-Roll Bars, BMR End Links and Reinforcement Brackets, BMR Trailing Arms, ZL1 wheels, Nitto NT555 G2 Tires, Z28-style Rear Spoiler, Hawk Plus Brake Pads, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:21 PM   #16
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
Something important to remember about track days is "This is NOT a race and there are no trophies." Before every track day at the driver's meeting this mantra is repeated but still you get hot shots that either ignore that advice, or once they get out on the track, think they are Ayrton Senna.

Last year I was at Pacific Raceways and there was a guy with a brand-new 2018 ZL1. Over the course of the day I let him by twice and each time I said to myself, "This guy is driving like an idiot. He's going to destroy that car!"

Sure enough on the last few laps of the last session, he overcorrected and put it into a wall at 100mph. Thankfully the driver was unhurt but the car was a total loss.

I do about 5-7 track days a year between two tracks and I would say on average, 5 cars per season are destroyed by people driving beyond their skill level or equipment failure. Just don't let it be you.

Scott
I know exactly what you mean. My SS may not have the power of a ZL1 but it can keep itself in the drive line pretty good in the twisty part. Last year at NCM, ZL1 is chewing my bumper off on the very first lap of the very first session. My tires haven’t even got warm yet. Coming up to “deception corner” I let him go by, then off he goes at deception corner and never lifts the throttle , sideways all the way to the tire barrier and then comes rocketing back across to almost slam his nose in my drivers door, if it was not for me locking down the brakes he would have slammed me in the door. Definitely an eye opener that day.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:23 PM   #17
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Door Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie killer View Post
I know exactly what you mean. My SS may not have the power of a ZL1 but it can keep itself in the drive line pretty good in the twisty part. Last year at NCM, ZL1 is chewing my bumper off on the very first lap of the very first session. My tires haven’t even got warm yet. Coming up to “deception corner” I let him go by, then off he goes at deception corner and never lifts the throttle , sideways all the way to the tire barrier and then comes rocketing back across to almost slam his nose in my drivers door, if it was not for me locking down the brakes he would have slammed me in the door. Definitely an eye opener that day.
I remember you talking about that. An cam technology has changed so much over the last 20-30 years and I haven't kept up with it, back in the 80 it was I have a 3/4 race cam and everyone thought you was the man. I'm just wanting to add some more reliable power to the car to make it perform a little better an I do agree the more seat time the better but I'd like a little more punch out of it.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #18
51LE50

Drives: 2015 1LE, 2SS, Bright Yellow
The GM LS3 upgrade heads are a good 'bang for the buck' addition. For A/X or road course corner exit at partial throttle you might consider a cam other than the LS7 that comes with that kit.
I like both events but you get maybe 10 minutes seat time at A/X. That always leaves me wanting more.

These guys focus on A/X and you get A LOT of seat time (though you may have to travel or wait until the come nearer to you).
http://evoschool.com/
51LE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #19
olblue75

Well I got some good cam specs finally and think I'll be going with them
228/242 113+4 with LSGHL/LSG Lobes. said with a good tune and my other parts should put me right around 460-475.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:01 AM   #20
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
What will the lift be?
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:58 PM   #21
olblue75

I have it wrote down at work but will get back to you next week.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #22
Matty Ice

I want to do a cam this coming Feb-Mar. I am leaning towards the Howards ASA. But will contact cam mfg's when I have the cash in hand. Trying to stay RC/AX type, torque/response over peak hp. Might do heads with it too. Slippery slope, it's always just one more component to make it that much better.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #23
Synner

Drives: cars
The lift on that thing is a waste of a cam swap, don't bother. Heads don't get you as much with a safer cam but it's your money. I'd shave them vs port.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #24
51LE50

Drives: 2015 1LE, 2SS, Bright Yellow
Looks like a nice build you have there! If you're running stock seats you might consider the GC-Lock for your seat. I bought one from Sube' Sports and tried it last weekend (run group 3 with NASA) and it works very well in keeping you planted in your seat.
51LE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #25
olblue75

If it's a waste then what's a good cam spec, all I've gotten is seat time and it's not a race, I get that part but I still wanna a little more power, so if someone can give me a good cam spec I'd appreciate it!!!
Old 10-21-2018, 02:13 AM   #26
Synner

Drives: cars
My comment was in reference to the Howard ASA, I already gave lift recommendations on the first page before the passing makes you dumb crowd chimed in.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:47 AM   #27
Matty Ice

Quote:
The lift on that thing is a waste of a cam swap, don't bother. Heads don't get you as much with a safer cam but it's your money. I'd shave them vs port.
Thanks for the advice/opinion, makes sense and gives me a direction to look into.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #28
olblue75

Quotes

Quote:
My comment was in reference to the Howard ASA, I already gave lift recommendations on the first page before the passing makes you dumb crowd chimed in.
This was my post from the beginning and you should have "quoted" the post you was referencing. An calling someone dumb like that is uncalled for!!!