Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-02-2021, 01:24 AM   #1
moezer

Drives: Camaro ss
Grinding or abs sound when turning?

Hey guys I noticed this sound while turning and while turning and reversing

It’s NOT like a metal grind but more like an abs humm or the abs coming on and off and I don’t see any lights or anything when it happens

Has any one experienced this before? Car only has 21k on it 2010 2ss

Found the issue not really an issue but the steering wheels flexing

Last edited by moezer; 09-03-2021 at 10:50 AM.
moezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:49 AM   #2
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Has the differential been serviced lately?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:29 AM   #3
RacerBX1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS R/S
It’s a known issue with this car. The noise comes for the clutches in the differential slipping and sticking, and repeat. The official GM fix, which was a TSB is to put a different fluid and additive. This however also requires the differential seals to be changed as the new fluid will leak with the original seals. I had my 2011 fixed a few years ago and it’s been good since. Mine started showing up around 13K miles. Others might know of different fluids that can be used without changing the seals.
RacerBX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:27 AM   #4
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerBX1 View Post
It’s a known issue with this car. The noise comes for the clutches in the differential slipping and sticking, and repeat. The official GM fix, which was a TSB is to put a different fluid and additive. This however also requires the differential seals to be changed as the new fluid will leak with the original seals. I had my 2011 fixed a few years ago and it’s been good since. Mine started showing up around 13K miles. Others might know of different fluids that can be used without changing the seals.
^^^ This. I had mine done looked at several times and the fluid and modifier changed twice back when I was having the issue and it still kept coming back, so they replaced the entire diff and never had this issues again. Happened around 12k miles and now I have 122k on her. Good luck..
Old 09-02-2021, 10:37 AM   #5
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I already researched this in the spring because my car was also doing it. When my cam was installed in the spring I had the shop change the diff oil. Haven't had an issue all summer.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:05 AM   #6
moezer

Sorry guys this sound is coming from the front of the car not the rear, and only when I’m turning right and reverting and have my tires turned right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2021, 02:51 PM   #7
moezer

Ok for sure it’s not the diff, i was coming off my drive way and as I came to a full crank to the left it did the sound and I can feel it in the brake pedal

Could it be the abs airing out or something?

My brakes are good and clutch is good

Old 09-02-2021, 02:59 PM   #8
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
[QUOTE=moezer;11064572]
Could it be the abs airing out or something? QUOTE]

No
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:53 PM   #9
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
If I were you and had this issue going on and it is coming from the front, from my past experience from NOT checking out my front suspension on my 1979 Thunderbird when I heard something weird and felt it too, and one day turning onto a parking lot and all of a sudden she went POP, CLUNK.... And there I was, the right front sitting on the ground with a broken lower ball joint!! Take your car to a shop and put it up on a lift and check all your front suspension and brake rotors and calipers!! Move stuff around for play and look for excessive wear before something breaks and your stuck, or worse yet, have an accident!! Be safe about it and stop guessing. You'll thank me later. Good luck sir.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:01 PM   #10
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I’d check the front hub bearings real good.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:34 PM   #11
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
what 1JEWLDSSRS said.

noises in the rolling bits are not good. Noises in the steering or stopping bits really should be physically checked sooner rather than later.
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:47 PM   #12
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
If I were you and had this issue going on and it is coming from the front, from my past experience from NOT checking out my front suspension on my 1979 Thunderbird when I heard something weird and felt it too, and one day turning onto a parking lot and all of a sudden she went POP, CLUNK.... And there I was, the right front sitting on the ground with a broken lower ball joint!! Take your car to a shop and put it up on a lift and check all your front suspension and brake rotors and calipers!! Move stuff around for play and look for excessive wear before something breaks and your stuck, or worse yet, have an accident!! Be safe about it and stop guessing. You'll thank me later. Good luck sir.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:32 PM   #13
moezer

Grinding or abs sound when turning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post

I’m the mechanic on all my cars my cars don’t see a shop unless I need a wheel balance or an alignment

I’ve already check everything u mentioned everything is solid and doesn’t show any kinda wear the house happens when I’m moving slow back up or when turning slow doesn’t do it when I’m driving normal speed

Also doesn’t shake or shimmy when I press the brakes or driving fast and no abnormal tire wear

I bought the car with 15500 k km now has 21000

Old 09-03-2021, 05:21 AM   #14
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Power steering pump or rack problem possibly?
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote