Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #1
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
just picked up a 2012 zl1 love it over my 2010

I bought the car in Georgia and drove it back home to Michigan with 4000 miles on it. The car handles like dream. I drove in track mode most of the way, til I hit the rough roads of Michigan. One thing I noticed is the rear quarter in front of the rear tires are getting rock chips. Mostly from Michigan roads. So I parked it in the garage til I can get some clear bra protection on the body. I'm looking at the front end 24inch up and behind the front tire and front of rear tires. And 3 inchs on the side skirts. Can anyone share there experience what else to protect or product? I have been thinking of applying it myself possibly. Anyone do it yourself?
Attached Images

TVS2300, BTR cam PD stage 3, ID1050 injectors, CHE bronze trunnions, 7.400" pushrods,.660" lift platinum springs, Titanium ret, Zl1 fuel pump, Kooks LT headers, High flow cats, Roto Fab CAI, Corsa exhaust, Mellings oil pump, HD chain, ls2 damper, all synthetic, BMR control arms, zl1 toe link, BMR body cradle mounts, washer bottle relocation, air scoop deflector, Hennessy wheels, two piece rotor, morimoto fogs, DRL harness, coilovers, Heads up display install, mgw shifter, slps splitter, slp spoiler, zl1 side skirts, painted strips, debadged, tinted, 2018 emblems.

Last edited by lionssfan; 08-21-2019 at 02:28 AM.
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 1983 z28
I have a brand new set of zl1addons rock guards I can sell you. Works great for saving the side of the car.
tartagliazl1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #3
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
A different set of tires will also help. The stock GY supercars throw pebbles like crazy.
2014 Red Hot #1503 | TBD SAE | RotoFab | 28% OD | GP Tuning 2.5 Cam | 1-7/8 LT's | JMS BAP | ID850 | TR7IX | MSD Wires |
APEX Catch Can | JRE Breather | Monster LT1-S Triple | C&R HEX | RotoFab Res | Racing Brake Rotors | Self-Tuned w/ HPT
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:58 PM   #4
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray A6
There was a guy on here RON123 that made his own templates and did great work with Xpel. Not sure if he is still around, but we shared some PM's with info, I gave it a try, and here is what I learned:

If you want it to look perfect - hire a pro
if you do not mind some imperfections - DIY

Once you go the DIY route, you are sort of committed. If it does not turn out, you scrap the material and end up paying for new material.

I can't bring myself to put mudflaps on a ZL1, but that is also an option.

btw, nice ride, congrats!
Old 08-20-2019, 08:08 PM   #5
lionssfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
There was a guy on here RON123 that made his own templates and did great work with Xpel. Not sure if he is still around, but we shared some PM's with
info, I gave it a try, and here is what I learned:

If you want it to look perfect - hire a pro
if you do not mind some imperfections - DIY

Once you go the DIY route, you are sort of committed. If it does not turn out, you scrap the material and end up paying for new material.

I can't bring myself to put mudflaps on a ZL1, but that is also an option.

btw, nice ride, congrats!
Lol a buddy of mine who owns a zl1 said they look like mud flaps too. That's why I'm looking for the paint protection.
TVS2300, BTR cam PD stage 3, ID1050 injectors, CHE bronze trunnions, 7.400" pushrods,.660" lift platinum springs, Titanium ret, Zl1 fuel pump, Kooks LT headers, High flow cats, Roto Fab CAI, Corsa exhaust, Mellings oil pump, HD chain, ls2 damper, all synthetic, BMR control arms, zl1 toe link, BMR body cradle mounts, washer bottle relocation, air scoop deflector, Hennessy wheels, two piece rotor, morimoto fogs, DRL harness, coilovers, Heads up display install, mgw shifter, slps splitter, slp spoiler, zl1 side skirts, painted strips, debadged, tinted, 2018 emblems.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #6
lionssfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 View Post
I have a brand new set of zl1addons rock guards I can sell you. Works great for saving the side of the car.
Thanks for the offer, but not sure I can do that just yet
Old 08-20-2019, 09:15 PM   #7
silversleeper
Some ol' dude

Drives: '13 ZL1
I put some of this film on the hood of a car last week. It was pain to try to get all the air/water pockets out.
Genuine 3M Scotchgard PRO Series Gloss Clear Paint Protection Film Bra PPF seller m2-racing
It is thick film. Can buy a size you need without so much excess roll keeping the price down.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:29 PM   #8
lionssfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I put some of this film on the hood of a car last week. It was pain to try to get all the air/water pockets out.
Genuine 3M Scotchgard PRO Series Gloss Clear Paint Protection Film Bra PPF seller m2-racing
It is thick film. Can buy a size you need without so much excess roll keeping the price down.
I'm beginning to think if I want it to look professional I may leave it to a experienced shop. I'm so used to doing everything myself.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:34 PM   #9
lionssfan

Gm should of put at least clear protection on the rear area in front of back tire. This area gets blasted with pebbles so easy.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:10 AM   #10
Bigtime53

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 View Post

I have put these on the ZL1's I have owned and they work pretty good. They are not the cure all but I am pleased with them.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:24 AM   #11
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionssfan View Post
I'm beginning to think if I want it to look professional I may leave it to a experienced shop. I'm so used to doing everything myself.
Yes. Get a quality shop to install a quality 3M self-healing clear bra on your ZL1. Do not attempt this by yourself. It is a difficult process and you'd be pissed if you screwed it up. I had one installed on my C7 Grand Sport. The entire front, hood, mirrors, rockers and front half of the rear fenders are covered. Do it right and have a pro do it! Good luck! Nice ride!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:50 AM   #12
tstodii

Drives: White 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionssfan View Post
Gm should of put at least clear protection on the rear area in front of back tire. This area gets blasted with pebbles so easy.
Funny you say that. I just picked up a '18 Q60 RS400, and it has some factory clear paint protection on the rear quarters. It's not exactly how I would have done it(it's visible), but it's at least there from the manufacturer. The Dynamic Sunstone Red is a crazy color in person, so I want preserve it as much as possible, which means full clearbra soon. I've already picked up a rock chip on the driver's fender from all these 18 wheelers coming to/from the port. :(

FWIW, I had the ZL1 Rock Guards on my Z/28. They actually blended well with the other little "mud flaps" already on the car. You don't really notice they are aftermarket unless you are familiar with these cars, or you look super close.
tstodii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #13
Juiced1

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Congrats on the new ride. The ZL1 LSA platform is a blast. Wait till you start modding it.

We carry & install all the hottest brands for your 5th/6gen Camaro. Get awesome deals & install rates! Call or Pm us for your CAMARO5/CAMARO6 discount. 224-63-JUICE or INFO@JUICEDMOTORSPORTS.COM ST CHARLES IL

Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #14
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Those are the exact areas to expect road rash; You will need a film to protect the paint. Its a shame but its also a fact of life as a ZL1 owner. The car is pretty sweet otherwise.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote