Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
A Day to Remember: My Ride with Number 3

My heart is still racing.

Last week I had talked to Number 3 about meeting up here in Michigan before he took his vacation, so I could check out his car. He quickly responded and said he'd be more than happy to meet up with me. After some discussion, we settled on today.

A day I will never forget.

I was waiting at our arrange meeting spot a good hour in advance. I didn't want to miss him rolling in to the parking lot with his infamous number three. The time slowly rolled by, and my heart started pounding faster as the clock neared 6:00. Then, ten minutes to six, down the highway ramp comes a sparkling Victory Red 2010 Camaro. I quickly hopped out of my truck and waited as he pulled up next to me. The thing owned the lot the instant it rolled in. People walking in to the Walmart slowed as they cocked their necks to get an eyeful of something they'd never seen in the wild.

The Camaro rolled to a stop in the adjacent parking space, and I felt like the most attractive girl in the room just sat down next to me. I had seen Camaros first hand in the past, but never on the road; never up close like this. Out pops Jim, all smiles and eager to meet me. We shake hands and have a quick discussion, and instead of walking back to the driver door to pop the hood so I can take a look, he instead opens the passenger door to move his breifcase out of the seat.

"I can't let you drive it, but I can take you for a ride"

I stuttered out "...um, what?"

"Well its a CTF car so you can't drive it, but we can go for a ride if you want"

Only in my wildest dreams of this day had I imagined he'd take me for a ride in his Camaro. I had assumed I'd get a quick once over, hop in the seats to check out the interior, and he'd head on home. Apparently my assumptions were way off. He walks around to the other side and hops in. As he starts it up I burst out with "Whoa, is that the 6?"

"Nope, thats the LS3" He says with a smile. "Wife's got Number 3 for the day, I have the SS."

As he says this I look down to see in fact we are in the SS, stickshift and all. Now we had completely surpassed my wildest dreams. A near spitting image of the car I have on order, and I'm about to go for a ride in it.

We roll out of the parking lot, and instantly he eradicates all doubts that this is a V8. Sucked back into the seat I can only mutter a quiet "whoa" which is quickly drowned out by the thumping smallblock. The smile that cracks across my face occurs partially because I'm as close to heaven as I may ever be, and partially because my cheeks are being sucked backwards towards the seat with the rest of my body.

We make our way down the street and through the nearest town. As we approach the on ramp to 59 I realize this isn't going to be a quick test ride. Once on the ramp, he lets the LS3 do what it does best. We blast to 70 mph like a cannon, and take the curve of the ramp like we're going in a straight line. The engine is music to my ears.

On the highway I realize all the talk about how quiet the Camaro rides is 100% true. I rarely notice things like road noise, or lack thereof, but the Camaro was noticeably quiet at speed, especially when you consider the decibels it exerted getting here. We carry on a conversation like we were sitting back in the parking lot. At one point I even mention how quiet it is, and Jim points out the stark contrast between the Camaro and Corvette's road noise.

After a few miles on the highway, it starts to get backed up so we bail and head for the on ramp in the other direction. This is where you completely forget your in a muscle car. We hit the 270 degree on ramp at a decent clip, and there's not a hint of us slowing down. In fact, as the radius decreases, our speed increases. The Camaro hugs the turn like a true sports car. As the turn recedes, I am quickly reminded that this is, in fact, American Muscle. To the back of the seat again I go, head planted on the headrest with little hope of moving it until the acceleration subsides.

After a while we end up back at the parking lot we started. What a fantastic journey that completely blew my mind and solidified my decision to buy this vehicle. Jim drops me back of at the lot, and I sort of gawk at its beauty. A kid comes running up to us, iphone in hand, asking "Whoa, do you guys work for GM?? Is that the V8??" After Jim answers some of his questions I fill him in on the pricing, the difference between the LT and SS, and some of the estimated 1/4 mile times. He mentions he is a mustang guy, but by his metaphorical drooling over the Camaro, I can tell he isn't for much longer.

With some final chatting Jim and I shake hands again and he heads back to the drivers side. He says "Do you want to sit in the drivers seat?" I say "No thanks, I think I'll save that privilege for my Camaro"

------------------------------------------------

What an incredible evening, that I will remember for the rest of my life. My entire ride home I was calling everyone I knew to tell about my experience in the SS, and what a great time I had with Jim. I can't thank him, a.k.a. Number 3, enough. He was more than eager to share with me his Camaro, and I am eternally grateful for it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH NUMBER 3!!!
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties

Last edited by kdbolt70; 03-12-2009 at 07:17 PM.
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
awwwh! good story!
Old 03-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Great story!

Need not say more!
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
BLUEMARO
A Classical Greek

Drives: DTS, Bonneville and an SS !
Tell us what you thought of the light grey interior.
BLUEMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
kdbolt70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEMARO View Post
Tell us what you thought of the light grey interior.
I actually really liked it. It was lighter than I had originally thought, which was a nice contras to the black. That being said, I'm sticking with my black interior in my Victory Red 2SS...
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
Old 03-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
ihc95

Drives: 2018 GT PP1 A10

Someone had to do it
ihc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T

Hey, Pictures or it didn't happen.

Oh, yeah, I was there. Never mind.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc95 View Post

Someone had to do it
Beat me to it!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
WOW!!! I cant frickin wait for my SS!!! Thats gota be THE best story from somebody thats ridin in one yet!(yes, from ANYBODY) But how dare you say good things about the V8 and not say how the V6 is the better choice!!!
Never2LowChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Great story dude, gave me chills
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
kdbolt70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc95 View Post

Someone had to do it
I literally didn't even think to snap any pics till I was back in my truck. I got a couple just as he was pulling out, I'm uploading them now

Edit:

Old 03-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Great story dude! Definetly keeps me aimed for the SS!

I am incredibly jealous though!
Old 03-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #13
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
What a great day to remember kdbolt70. I am anxiously awaiting mine. Thanks for sharing Number 3.

Cancelled the 2010 SS/RS (for now) and bought this instead (2009 Harley FLHX)
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
logan1080

Drives: 2003 Crew Cab Duramax
that story put a big grin ear to ear on my face, I can't wait to unleash my SS and soak up the stares.
logan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote