Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-23-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
hftech

Drives: 2000 Chevy Camaro Z28!
Thought you all would get a kick outta this!

I found this news thread on Yahoo... http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/la_a...QtY29uY2VwdHM-

BUT basically it was talking about the LA auto show...

Hyundai is looking to branch out into the traditional front-engine, rear-drive American pony-car segment with its Genesis Coupe concept (a thinly disguised prototype of a production version slated to launch next year. The 2-door coupe, which will be pitted against the Ford Mustang and upcoming Chevy Camaro and Dodge Challenger, is being shown with a 3.8-liter V-6 making 300 bhp. No word yet on whether the coupe will come with the Genesis sedan's announced V-8 powerplant.

Come on!! Hyundaii thinking they can compete?!?! Thought it was just a bit hilarious...
hftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:03 AM   #2
neo2227

Drives: 2007 Chevy Tahoe sittin on 22'
I don't know it looks pretty bad ass, though it is a Hyundai. But then again I do have a Camaro Fund an not a Hyundai Fund!!!!
neo2227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
It may compete with the high output v6 camaro, which would be significantly cheaper. $ 4 $, Camaro wins.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
hftech

Drives: 2000 Chevy Camaro Z28!
From what I heard they're gonna have the V6 be 300HP and then a V8 they haven't said a rating for yet.... It looks neat...but alot like a Tiburon still... Just something out there that will be just as fun to smoke in my Camaro. :P
hftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
http://www.myride.com/research/edito...9?videoId=1223

Not bad at all. Really...looks like a 350Z or an Infiniti. I like it's looks. But, when someone asks me what kind of musclecar I drive......don't think Hyundai is going to ring that bell for anyone. It'll sell...it's actually going into production. I have to say, that's probably the coolest Hyundai I've seen. In fact, that's is the only good looking Hyundai I've seen...Good for them. They'll get to put their next car in fast and the furious part 8.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:32 PM   #6
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
I hope the General takes this thing seriously... Yeah it may be a Hyundai, but its a cheap, rear wheel drive, powerful, decent looking coupe... LOTS of young guys and gals without much cash are going to FLOCK to this thing if the Camaro is either too expensive, too crappy, or both.

Personally I like the idea of this car... its AT LEAST keeping people interested in fun to drive cars. The problem is that its going to be made pretty well, have 300hp V6 in it, and cost probably around 23K to start (only my guess).

I just want my Camaro SS (or Z28, pick your fav) to have enough 'presence' to keep these kids in check... sort of so-big-and-mean-I'd-better-keep-my-mouth-shut kind of presence.

LSx
Old 11-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
competition breeds greatness! It will be sweet to see steve saleens face when Hundai beats saleen mustang

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
From what I heard, it will have a high output forced induction (can't remember if it was turboed or SC'd) I4 for the base engine, 300 hp V6 for the upper level model. Depending on the price, both could conceivably compete with the base Camaros and Mustangs, and the V6 would compete with the Z car. If the V6 is the base engine, I doubt Hyundai's V8 will compete with the Camaro's V8, but it might, just might encourage Chevy to give us the 300 hp DI V6. I think this car will be more of a challenge to the current Mustang and 350Z, but when the new Camaro, Challenger, Mustang, and 370Z all come out in a couple years it might be left behind. In any case, this is definitely a car to pay attention to as a serious entrant in the affordable performance coupe market. I have to give props to Hyundai for this one.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
competition breeds greatness! It will be sweet to see steve saleens face when Hundai beats saleen mustang
+1 This is a very good thing for us, because it adds more pressure on GM to make the Camaro great.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
After having gone to the L.A. car show and having viewed this car in person, I'll say this; It's one thing to see the car in pictures and entirely different to see it in person. I liked it so much that I'll be considering it if the base Camaro V8 has crappy city driving fuel mileage. The lines are super clean and defined (can't say that for the vast majority of Asian cars) and the proportions are all there. I had a slightly dull moment after I viewed this car and walked over to the Camaro convertible that was on display. It's 4 inches shorter in overall length than a Mustang and 4 inches wider, so it's not a tiny Asian car. It's also funny to hear some of the disses towards Hyundai as they will be a major car company to look out for in the next five years or so. Now as for some official tidbits on the new RWD Hyundai Coupe:

-4 cylinder turbo with 200+ hp
-3.8 liter V6 producing 300+ hp and 250+ lbs of torque
-Choice of 6 spd man or auto
-E46 M3 was engineering and development benchmark, the Hyundai is 20 % stiffer.
-18" wheels std. 19" optional
-Concept is 90% of the production car
-Production car will be unveiled in March '08 @ the NYIAS
-Will be the "cheapest" 300hp sports car on the market

Some pics I snapped with my cell (digi cam was broken)

Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #11
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Okey, here's my take. Sure it's a nice looking car, I'll give it that. But personally, I don't care if it's cheaper(price), or faster(doubt it) then the Camaro, Mustang or Dodge. My money's still going for a nice American Camaro.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:47 PM   #12
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
When i think about who would buy that car, there are not many people. People who want a rear wheel drive (muscle) car are not going to get a Hyundai. And people who want a fast good looking car just to show off are not gonna want to deal with rear wheel drive.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #13
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
When i think about who would buy that car, there are not many people. People who want a rear wheel drive (muscle) car are not going to get a Hyundai. And people who want a fast good looking car just to show off are not gonna want to deal with rear wheel drive.
Everyone is more than entitled to their opinion, but this response and the overall tone of this thread doesn't surprise me; 1) This is a Camro board. 2) A lot of guys here seem to hate anything that isn't made under the red white and blue, which is kinda funny. But hey, to each his own.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:15 PM   #14
fiveohh

Drives: stratus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerScotsman View Post
Everyone is more than entitled to their opinion, but this response and the overall tone of this thread doesn't surprise me; 1) This is a Camro board. 2) A lot of guys here seem to hate anything that isn't made under the red white and blue, which is kinda funny. But hey, to each his own.

I think that is a decent looking sporty car....an if I were 20-25 years old I would probably really really like it, with that said I am 40 and we grew up with a different style than that... like I said it's a decent looking car but it does not in my opinion, fit into the same catagory as the Camaro's, Mustang's and Challenger's, but yes this is a Camaro forum and it would be hard if not impossible for most Camaro enthusiasts to endorse that car.
fiveohh is offline   Reply With Quote