Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
2ss-booya

Drives: 2015 SS Sedan M6
Grinch threw up all over my rear right wheel/knucke :(

Well I suppose things could always be worse, but today when I was adjusting my endlinks I noticed dark green grease all over the rear right of my car :(...Gotta take it in.

Any ideas what would cause this? defective part?

never been to the track.
Attached Images

2ss-booya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
fastlane2010

Drives: 2010 camaro with fast lane stage 2
looks like an axle boot issue is there a hole in the cv shaft boot

fastlane2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
Gotta love that! Happened to mine and several others of us locally, but we were racing when it happened.
Don't be too hard on it until its fixed, or you may blow the axle like this:

I think its the poor quality boot GM uses, there isn't much flex in them so they split and spew when you're hard on it, especially when lowered.

We stabbed the above new GM axle in to replace it to get back on the track, and by the end of the day, the brand new one looked worse than yours does.

A couple of us had warranty take care of it, the rest upgraded to better axles with better boots.

- Jeremy
JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Yep, leaky boots are the cause of that. Good luck with the repair, since it doesn't look like you're lowered you shouldn't have too much trouble getting that covered under warranty.

By the way, nice trailing arm!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ss-booya View Post
Well I suppose things could always be worse, but today when I was adjusting my endlinks I noticed dark green grease all over the rear right of my car :(...Gotta take it in.

Any ideas what would cause this? defective part?

never been to the track.
Is your 5th Gen lowered?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
JDP Tech

Its weird, 98% of the boot's I've seen like this have all been the right side outer boot...

Here was mine:
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech@JDP View Post
Its weird, 98% of the boot's I've seen like this have all been the right side outer boot...

Here was mine:
Is your's lowered?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
JDP Tech

Yes, mine is.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
JusticePete

Heat.

When you lower a 5th Gen the half-shaft angle changes and with it the amount of heat generated increases. The OE grease liquifies at a modest temp. The boot is not designed to hold a liquid. It is designed to keep road debris a moisture out. When the grease in the joint gets too hot the liquid state 'grease' is slung out. When it cools you have Grinch Grease.

Half-shafts from reputable sources use a much higher temperature lube. Changing shafts changes the grease. The other option is to replace the OE lube with the high temp lube. There is a fair amount of labor involved for both.

With the unusually hot summer we had across the country there were an unusually large number of lowered 5th Gens that experienced this failure. It is generally restricted to lowered 5th Gens that are run on road courses. Don't ask how I know
Old 12-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
JDP Tech

Exactly, though it was a particularly cooler day of racing (compared to others in the season) we figured it was the heat build-up from the length of sessions; each session was 40 minutes, instead of the normal 25 minutes. None of us had had a problem before the longer session days.
That, combined with the lowered cars and the extreme driving we were forcing caused it.
Most of us upgraded to some nice DSS axles, since now's the time to upgrade, when its broken, right?

I just find it odd it's the right boot on almost all of them...

- Jeremy
Old 12-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Inspect the boot carefully.

Since there was work done in the area, it could have been punctured by a wayward tool.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
ss/rs-matt

Drives: 2015 ZL1
So is there a solution to this short of replacing the entire axle? I just installed coil overs and Im about 2" lower than stock. If I can I like prevent this from happening. Suggestions?

ss/rs-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #13
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss/rs-matt View Post
So is there a solution to this short of replacing the entire axle? I just installed coil overs and Im about 2" lower than stock. If I can I like prevent this from happening. Suggestions?
If you plan on running road course tracks at speed for longer sessions, repacking the shafts is the solution. Use a very high temperature synthetic lube that will not liquify under load at higher temps. If you are lowering and will run an occasional 20 minute session you shouldn't have any issues. Unless you live in a dessert like climate. The solution would be the same.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #14
ss/rs-matt

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
If you plan on running road course tracks at speed for longer sessions, repacking the shafts is the solution. Use a very high temperature synthetic lube that will not liquify under load at higher temps. If you are lowering and will run an occasional 20 minute session you shouldn't have any issues. Unless you live in a dessert like climate. The solution would be the same.
Thanks for the info! Info plan on going to the auto club speedway or willow springs the next time speed ventures is in town. How hard is it to repack the CVs?

ss/rs-matt is offline   Reply With Quote