Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Falkon
Lets Ride

Drives: victory red with black racing strip
Driving the Alcan

Driving from Fairbanks AK to Atlanta GA over 4000 miles, I saw this stretch of road and was wishing I was driving my Camaro instead of my wife GMC terrain, I would love to tear up this asphalt…. I have been averaging 75 mph with no Cops insight… Sad to say haven’t seen any Camaro yet.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
montyhp

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Red Jewel w/Beige
That sounds like an epic road trip. Hope you have time to take it slow and enjoy the trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I'm due for a cross country trip. Lucky you are!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
Falkon
Lets Ride

I hear this road trip is on a lot of people bucket list.... so far we have seen all of North America large land animal(beside big foot lol) and drove some of the scariest roads thru mountains and tomorrow going to west Edmonton mall with the a theme park and water park inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
That sounds like an epic road trip. Hope you have time to take it slow and enjoy the trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I remember taking my Cobra through the Smokey Mountains. Only thing you smell going through those roads are glazed brakes lol.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
SoSlow

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS/1LE, M6, NFG
Good god! Alaska to Georgia, vacation?
SoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
Falkon
Lets Ride

Yes it a Vacation but also a move too I am in the Army and got orders to be a recruiter in Georgia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow View Post
Good god! Alaska to Georgia, vacation?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
hawkfe

Drives: 2014 Stingray 3LT
The road looks better than when I drove it back in 86. Had a rock catcher installed on the front of my S10 to ward off the rocks that got kicked up.
hawkfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
Falkon
Lets Ride

There is a lot of road that is still like that, but mostly in the northern Yukon territory cannot imagine living in that place

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfe View Post
The road looks better than when I drove it back in 86. Had a rock catcher installed on the front of my S10 to ward off the rocks that got kicked up.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
My son is back in Fairbanks now, since December. He was medically retired. He loved it so much he moved back. They drove from Barstow to Fairbanks in December........

Be careful and enjoy your drive! Let us know when you get to Atlanta! We've got an active group.

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #11
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkon View Post
I hear this road trip is on a lot of people bucket list.... so far we have seen all of North America large land animal(beside big foot lol) and drove some of the scariest roads thru mountains and tomorrow going to west Edmonton mall with the a theme park and water park inside.
That road is on my bucket list, but I don't think I want my Camaro on it. I understand there's still long sections of it that are still gravel. I wouldn't want to deal with all the rock chips, broken lights, windshields, etc. I have a buddy who wants me to do it with him on motorcycles. I don't think I'm up for that either. We rode to Bar Harbor, Maine last September. That was 2800 miles round trip and it about killed me. I voting for doing in in some little beater car that's reliable and easy on fuel.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #12
moserbe

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
When I drove from Pa to Delta Junction in 1975 the Alcan was not paved and really tore up my Nova SS. The graders were constantly working on the road and leaving a couple of feet of dirt in the middle of the road. It was 900 miles of pure hell. I'll admit, the scenery was beautiful, especially driving thru the Yukon. Saw lots of wild horses and other wildlife. In 1975 unleaded gas in Canada was very difficult to find and if I remember correctly, I slept in the car in Whitehorse to get the unleaded stuff so that I could finish my trip. Where the Alcan started, everyone had headlight bubbles put on, full screens applied across the grille and the gas tank covered with thick rubber so the gravel wouldn't destroy the vehicle.
I'd love to drive it today in all it's paved wonder. Glad you enjoyed it!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #13
Falkon
Lets Ride

I would not drive my Camaro in the northern Yukon territory but after Fort nelson the roads are awesome. I would love to drive it in the summer again... I was surprise to see a lot of wild horses that was pretty cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
That road is on my bucket list, but I don't think I want my Camaro on it. I understand there's still long sections of it that are still gravel. I wouldn't want to deal with all the rock chips, broken lights, windshields, etc. I have a buddy who wants me to do it with him on motorcycles. I don't think I'm up for that either. We rode to Bar Harbor, Maine last September. That was 2800 miles round trip and it about killed me. I voting for doing in in some little beater car that's reliable and easy on fuel.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #14
ardailsmith

Drives: 2012 2LT LFX A6 RS Black on Black
Back in 76 the road turned to dirt when you crossed in to Canada for almost 1000 miles. I guess they thought why pave it only Americans use it to get to Alaska.