Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
You Aint Slick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Oil Leak? Any Help is Appreciated.

Hey Guys,

So I have or had a small leak on my 2010 Camaro SS

I brought it to the dealership because I needed an oil change anyways and they were having a good deal on synthetic oil changes.

They told me it looked like the oil filter was leaking over time, and caused a mess under the car, they wiped most of it up, did the oil change and all was good.

Brought the car home, and decided to jack it up. It was still a bit messy, and residual oil laying around so I washed it with a rag as best as I could, and then dropped the car.

About a week later, I drove the car, brought it home, and let it sat, I just took a quick peak underneath the car and found a small droplet of oil sitting where there wasn't any before.

Is it possible this is still residual oil making it's way out or something? the oil looks pretty dark and old, but not sure.

I've attached photos, any help is appreciated guys..

Thanks in advanced,
Attached Images

You Aint Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Oil can get in all kinds of places. Get brake kleen and clean the area. Some oil may have bled into the lower trans opening. Just do a good cleaning yourself. May take a week to clean all of it out...

I had the same issue, just kept cleaning until I was certain I had the area clean and no leaks.

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #3
You Aint Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Oil can get in all kinds of places. Get brake kleen and clean the area. Some oil may have bled into the lower trans opening. Just do a good cleaning yourself. May take a week to clean all of it out...

I had the same issue, just kept cleaning until I was certain I had the area clean and no leaks.

-Don

Thanks Don for the quick reply, I really am hoping I'm not going crazy.

The dealership had the car up in the air, and I would have assumed they would of seen if the oil pan gasket was leaking.

I've heard the oil pan gaskets go on these cars and it's a PITA to change out.

The Oil cooler is dry as a bone, so that's not the problem.

I guess I'll just keep waiting it out and see what happens, the good thing is, if it's a leak, it's ****ing slow as hell!

I'm just praying it's not the oil pan gasket.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
My filter leaked:

Kept cleaning until I was sure. Very rare for a pan gasket to leak unless it was dropped. Our cars have top notch gaskets...

I’m an auto and the oil went everywhere. My dipstick still read full. Took about 2 weeks of cleaning and driving. I have a new engine so I made certain my leaks were fixed. You would not believe where oil can seep into...

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 05-17-2018 at 06:12 AM.
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #5
nancygrl
ジプシー 青

Drives: '17 2SS/A8, '17 Z71 Truck
Early 5th Gen SS's had an issue with the back of the engine block being too porous. I searched and found this old thread about the block porosity problem. I had a 2010 SS that had this issue. Not saying this is what you're dealing with. I also remember that the rear main seal was also a problem.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...0+ls3+oil+leak
Old 05-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #6
You Aint Slick

I have an 2010 SS, From what I've been reading on the forums is that they are notorious for rear main seal and oil pan gasket.

I'm just gonna keep driving it like I do, and keep an eye on it.. the leak is so small that I don't really care too much, it's just making a mess underneath the car.

I don't have the funds to be dropping into the car just this second.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:45 AM   #7
Dave@Sturgiscamarorally

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS
had the same issue a few months ago. I pulled car out of garage and saw a few drops on the floor. Thought the worst at first and started pricing out a new build, since I would have to pull motor to change rear seal might as well upgrade LOL. pulled it back in garage and didn't drive it for a few months (winter) went to change the oil when weather warmed up and low and behold oil filter was so loose I removed it with 3 fingers. Cleaned it up and have had no issues since. It did do a little residual from the bell housing for about 2 or 3 days but been dry since.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:26 AM   #8
sixty9fordkiller

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
dont know if you have one, but if youre running a catchcan and its connected wrong, its possible to permanently damage the rear main seal

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
You Aint Slick

UPDATE:

Brought the car to the dealership just for a diagnoses.

Rear Engine cover leaking & Oil pan leaking.

They replaced the rear engine cover, rear main seal and oil pan gasket, I also have the part number for the oil cooler gasket on my work order so I'm guessing they replaced that to because they had to take the cooler off to replace the oil pan gasket?

$2700.00 out of pocket.

The leak was getting worse, so I had to get it diagnosed.

If anyone is curious

9 Hours billed for the Rear engine cover / Main Seal

6.5 Hours billed for the oil pan

I also had them check my heater core inlet hose for the screen, apparently there is no screen, and they backflushed the core. (I've been having hissing sound near my glove box for awhile)

Not sure if that did anything, But that was included in the $2700.00 bill.

Super bummed out, I'm just hoping that's it for awhile.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:34 PM   #10
QUICRNU

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Aint Slick View Post
UPDATE:

Brought the car to the dealership just for a diagnoses.

Rear Engine cover leaking & Oil pan leaking.

They replaced the rear engine cover, rear main seal and oil pan gasket, I also have the part number for the oil cooler gasket on my work order so I'm guessing they replaced that to because they had to take the cooler off to replace the oil pan gasket?

$2700.00 out of pocket.

The leak was getting worse, so I had to get it diagnosed.

If anyone is curious

9 Hours billed for the Rear engine cover / Main Seal

6.5 Hours billed for the oil pan

I also had them check my heater core inlet hose for the screen, apparently there is no screen, and they backflushed the core. (I've been having hissing sound near my glove box for awhile)

Not sure if that did anything, But that was included in the $2700.00 bill.

Super bummed out, I'm just hoping that's it for awhile.

I REALLY REALLY hate to see stuff like this.... I am sorry for your misfortune.... I am also skeptical... seems odd all those things went bad at the same time, seems more likely they wanted to replace them all to be sure they fixed the leak because possibly they didn't really know where it was coming from (or worse they wanted to bill for them and not actually replace them). Mine developed a leak on the oil pan and it was all over alike yours. From what I recall, it was nearly impossible to truly test the rear seal leaking or not without removing the trans and oil pan, which I did. Turned out the oil pan gasket was leaking and oil cooler had slightly warped, so I added an external cooler and replaced the oil pan gasket. Dry as a bone thru numerous passes and even a track day.

Perhaps this is a useless post and I apologize but if for nothing else I would want others to be more demanding of their dealer or shop on confirming the exact issue.

And how would it take 6.5 hours for the oil pan if you are replacing the rear main seal.... that should have been 30 minutes or 1 hours tops? Someone might need to correct me.

$2,700 makes my heart hurt.

584 RWHP / 520 RWTQ

Build Thread - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481043
QUICRNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:00 PM   #11
sixty9fordkiller

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
i have a 2010 (#35770)

is this a known issue on the early models? i know that the really early one (before #22000 i think) had numerous issues that were corrected.

mine has 77,800 miles now and has never leaked anything but this post worries me. The only issue i had was the spider gears going out on the diff at 42K and was covered by GM

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2018, 08:10 AM   #12
You Aint Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICRNU View Post
I REALLY REALLY hate to see stuff like this.... I am sorry for your misfortune.... I am also skeptical... seems odd all those things went bad at the same time, seems more likely they wanted to replace them all to be sure they fixed the leak because possibly they didn't really know where it was coming from (or worse they wanted to bill for them and not actually replace them). Mine developed a leak on the oil pan and it was all over alike yours. From what I recall, it was nearly impossible to truly test the rear seal leaking or not without removing the trans and oil pan, which I did. Turned out the oil pan gasket was leaking and oil cooler had slightly warped, so I added an external cooler and replaced the oil pan gasket. Dry as a bone thru numerous passes and even a track day.

Perhaps this is a useless post and I apologize but if for nothing else I would want others to be more demanding of their dealer or shop on confirming the exact issue.

And how would it take 6.5 hours for the oil pan if you are replacing the rear main seal.... that should have been 30 minutes or 1 hours tops? Someone might need to correct me.

$2,700 makes my heart hurt.

I have no idea man, the worst part is, there is still oil accumulating where I originally had oil.

I don't know if they replaced the rear cover and put the RTV like they were supposed to or what.

I'm hoping it's residual oil from the actual repair, I'm gonna wipe it down a few times and see if it stops accumulating.

If not, the repair has a 1 year or 20,000 warranty on it, so they will have to fix it for free.

I don't know why I was billed 6.5 for the oil pan, something about lifting the motor and dropping the cradle to clear the cross member to get the pan out?

Is it easier when the trans is out?

I highly doubt they knew 100% what was leaking, what I think was they saw oil, thought it was the rear cover, once they finally had it all apart they saw the pan was the actual culprit.

The good thing is, I should NOT have an oil leak at any of the notorious parts on the Camaro because everything has been fixed and or replaced.

If it does start leaking again, they will be doing the work for damn free.

It is sad, I've have nothing but problems with this damn car, I still love it tho because it's what I've always wanted, a good ole muscle car that's nice and loud and goes quick in a straight line.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:45 PM   #13
ChevyCamaroGirl

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS RS BLACK
I bought my 2010 SS with 2k miles and had the problem with the rear main seal leak. It took 5 visits and 2 different dealerships to diagnose. Every time I drove the car I would smell oil venting into the cab. It was awful. It was finally fixed at 23k miles and a year and a half 5k miles later it's happening again. I can't even hardly stand driving it because the burning oil smell makes me sick. I won't drive with my kids in the car anymore its that bad.
ChevyCamaroGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:38 PM   #14
You Aint Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCamaroGirl View Post
I bought my 2010 SS with 2k miles and had the problem with the rear main seal leak. It took 5 visits and 2 different dealerships to diagnose. Every time I drove the car I would smell oil venting into the cab. It was awful. It was finally fixed at 23k miles and a year and a half 5k miles later it's happening again. I can't even hardly stand driving it because the burning oil smell makes me sick. I won't drive with my kids in the car anymore its that bad.
Man these ****ing cars suck, I honestly regret buying it.

It's problem after problem...

Now they say there's air in the coolant system, it's the hissing I've been hearing.

First baffles in the exhaust, then the speakers go, then the stupid oil leaks, now air in my coolant, I've had the damn car for 1 year, it only has 20k miles on it.

It's so damn discouraging, I've always wanted a damn Camaro my entire life, finally got the cash to buy 1, and now it's just the worse thing I've ever done.