Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #15
almanj

Drives: 2011 RJT SS/RS
I had the same issue also on my 2011 SS. Took it to the dealer just before the warranty ran out, and after a few times back & forth with them unable to find the source, they finally said I had to replaced the rack. They did and the steering squeak went away... for a while. It's back now. It just sounds/feels like something needs to be lubed, so I'm hoping it's something I can do myself. I really don't want to replace the rack again, which only seems to temporarily fix it.
almanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #16
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Any updates on any of problems others are having with this? I'm hoping my new wheels aren't the culprit for the clunking sound going over bumps big or small and the squeaking noise. I don't feel and chatter or difficulty turning the wheel either. It's just noises at the moment.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #17
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
So I came across a post awhile back that there have been some issues with the front PFADT lowering springs that when jacking the car up and letting it down (just had new wheels put on so this could have caused it), there is a sleeve that could move on them, causing clunking sounds from metal on metal. I'm 90% sure this is the problem, but since I'm deployed I can't do squat about it atm. I have a buddy going over to take a look at it when he has time. As for the squealing, still have no idea what that could be besides a bad R&P (really hoping it's not). Not hard to turn the wheel, no rubbing, and no chatter or shutter in the steering either. Me so confused on what it could be, and not wanting to take it into the dealer. Anyone got any other input on what it could be? Thanks.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #18
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frid View Post
So I came across a post awhile back that there have been some issues with the front PFADT lowering springs that when jacking the car up and letting it down (just had new wheels put on so this could have caused it), there is a sleeve that could move on them, causing clunking sounds from metal on metal. I'm 90% sure this is the problem, but since I'm deployed I can't do squat about it atm. I have a buddy going over to take a look at it when he has time. As for the squealing, still have no idea what that could be besides a bad R&P (really hoping it's not). Not hard to turn the wheel, no rubbing, and no chatter or shutter in the steering either. Me so confused on what it could be, and not wanting to take it into the dealer. Anyone got any other input on what it could be? Thanks.
Frid,

Apologies again for the lingering concerns. Please keep us updated on this situation and feel free to contact us privately if there is anything additional we may be able to do to assist.

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #19
mudchick_alicia

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I had a squeaky noise coming from my steering wheel when turning and the dealership had to replace the rack and pinion....that was almost a year ago and no issues since.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #20
Mechman108

Drives: '12 Camaro LS M6, '16 Lexus IS200T
Just picked up the beauty from the dealership. Problem solved for the sqeaky steering wheel. They changed the rack and pinion gear. Thanks Ed Morse chevy.
Mechman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #21
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
mudchick_alicia & Mechman108,

Thanks for your kind updates. Please let me know if any further concerns arise regarding noises with your steering wheels.

Happy driving,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #22

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS 6A
My car is making the same sqeaking noise. 100% stock. It's been over a year since this post. I did a google search, and this is what came up.

did you ever look at the sleeve on your lowering springs ? was that the issue, or did it end up being the rack and pinion like everyone else had done.

Also, I'm out of warranty as I have a 2010, how much would a rack and pinion cost out of pocket ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frid View Post
191185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:01 PM   #23
Anna_Keyee

Drives: 2013 Ford Expedition
why is squeaking on steering wheel is almost becoming an issue frequently?

my 2013 SS is like that also. just found out the other day.

My front right wheel rammed into the side of a curb that jutted out unevenly, causing the hub cap to get displaced. I have to fix the hubcap of the tire and put it back on right. However, now whenever I turn the steering wheel the car makes squeaking noises. This never happened before I bumped the wheel on the curb. What could be damaged?

Last edited by Anna_Keyee; 03-12-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Anna_Keyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:15 PM   #24
Anna_Keyee

Drives: 2013 Ford Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
Also, I'm out of warranty as I have a 2010, how much would a rack and pinion cost out of pocket ?
the hired mechanic says the issue with my car was also a defective rack and pinion

Husband inquired from a certain online store and he got a1 cardone rack and pionion for $152...

purchased it from the auto parts warehouse online store only to find out that ebay and rockauto.com offers it cheaper

the mechanic also checked the steering stuffs in the car and yeah... the weird noise is nowhere to be heared anymore..
Anna_Keyee is offline   Reply With Quote