Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #1
Sabot

Drives: ZL1 Gone :(
Ordering your ZL1 Do's and Don'ts or what to expect

I bought my '13 ZL1 from the show room floor, now I want to order a '17 and since I have never order a car before, I want you gurus on the subject to drop knowledge on me...nothing else..lol

Do I sign a contract when I make the order?
How trade-in works?
Is it better?
Do dealer rather you not?

I know maybe the dealership is the best place to ask but I like to know as much as I can before I throw myself to the wolfs. Thanks in advance.
Sabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
This will be my first time ordering as well.

I asked my dealer and he said all financials would need to be ready to go when I take delivery (down payment, trade-in, loan), not when I order.

Getting on the list required a 1k refundable deposit.

I went the day my rep told me they were taking deposits and was told I was 3rd. Last convo he said 4th. Something I have to hash out next time I see him : /
datboi448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
My dealer already has 2-3 deposits for ZL1 so Id go and find out from your local dealer if they are already taking deposits.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:31 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Read this and then read the link in the post very carefully.....dealers really like to screw around with you on hot cars......

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...25&postcount=3

Last edited by Glen e; 04-13-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
Sabot

Drives: ZL1 Gone :(
WoW thanks I didn't see this before. Mod please delete thread if need to.
Sabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:34 AM   #6
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
Every car that I've bought has been CTO (Custom To Order) Always agree on a price before placing an order get it in writing ESPECIALLY if putting a deposit. I usually negotiate that I pay Invoice +500.

Also say NO to dealer prep (car wash) any add on such as bullshit nitrofill or paint protection etc...
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:29 AM   #7
Heavymetal454
Account Suspended

Drives: '69 RS Pro Street
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_Nick3.8 View Post
Every car that I've bought has been CTO (Custom To Order) Always agree on a price before placing an order get it in writing ESPECIALLY if putting a deposit. I usually negotiate that I pay Invoice +500.

Also say NO to dealer prep (car wash) any add on such as bullshit nitrofill or paint protection etc...
How confidant are you that you could order a ZL1 at this point for $500 over invoice? That doesn't look likely for quite some time. Just curious?
Heavymetal454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:40 AM   #8
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavymetal454 View Post
How confidant are you that you could order a ZL1 at this point for $500 over invoice? That doesn't look likely for quite some time. Just curious?
Turnover rate is a boost to the dealership bottom line. Ordering even at or around invoice helps offset some of those 2014/2015 models still on the lot.
datboi448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #9
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
I bought my '13 ZL1 from the show room floor, now I want to order a '17 and since I have never order a car before, I want you gurus on the subject to drop knowledge on me...nothing else..lol

Do I sign a contract when I make the order?
How trade-in works?
Is it better?
Do dealer rather you not?

I know maybe the dealership is the best place to ask but I like to know as much as I can before I throw myself to the wolfs. Thanks in advance.
I did this with my 1LE, and you are smart for asking.

Do I sign a contract when I make the order? Nope, you only sign when the car is delivered and you are ready to buy. I signed about 2 days before arrival because I had a $1000 special offer that was expiring.

How trade-in works? Trade in works the same way. You can trade it in when you go order the car, minimizing depreciation. I did this, but am able to use mass transit so for me that was an option where it is not for most.

Is it better? The only downside is some people hate to wait. You can order exactly what you want.

Do dealer rather you not? Some act like they dont. The reality is, this is free money for the dealership. Every car a dealership has on their lot is on 'loan',and shows up on their balance sheet. A customer ordered car does not show up the same way, so it is MUCH better for the dealer. Do not let them lie to you, as this is certainly a bargaining tool you have at your disposal. Just dont be afraid to walk away and go elsewhere.

Good luck man!!
Old 04-14-2016, 10:09 AM   #10
Heavymetal454
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by datboi448 View Post
Turnover rate is a boost to the dealership bottom line. Ordering even at or around invoice helps offset some of those 2014/2015 models still on the lot.
And what do you imagine invoice would be compared with MSRP since most dealers are looking for well above that. I personally believe getting a ZL1 for MSRP will be somewhat challenging for awhile based on demand initially.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #11
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I would say that unless you are family/good friends with a dealer then there is no way folks will be getting a 2017 ZL1 for invoice. Of course there are always exceptions, but even getting MSRP would be a bargain for these cars.......unless Chevy says they can build as many as people can order. If they go limited production in any way similar to the GT350 then there will be MASSIVE markups. I saw a GT350 (Not R) in the showroom with a MSRP of $47900 (or something like that), dealer markup raised price to $95000.....and somebody bought the damn thing! Chevy, please don't do that to your customers. Give us what we want and don't turn this into a $100k car.....
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #12

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Some of your plans may be premature....I can't see negotiating a lower cost now, when the MSRP isn't even known....A trade-in is something I wouldn't even bring up. It may be worth a certain amount now, but when the car comes in, how much is it worth then?...

Just sayin' being anxious to get your hands on one is a salesman's dream come true.

Personally, I can wait til they have older, unsold ones on the lot with the 20% off MSRP...(That may be a while, if ever....but it's worth it to wait and see)...Negotiate a cash price first, then talk trade-in or any financing....

Good luck.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #13
Heavymetal454
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandiloro View Post
I would say that unless you are family/good friends with a dealer then there is no way folks will be getting a 2017 ZL1 for invoice. Of course there are always exceptions, but even getting MSRP would be a bargain for these cars.......unless Chevy says they can build as many as people can order. If they go limited production in any way similar to the GT350 then there will be MASSIVE markups. I saw a GT350 (Not R) in the showroom with a MSRP of $47900 (or something like that), dealer markup raised price to $95000.....and somebody bought the damn thing! Chevy, please don't do that to your customers. Give us what we want and don't turn this into a $100k car.....
Agreed. Not everyone is going out looking for this car but those that do are competing against each other to be one of the first to take delivery. It's not like the dealers don't know that. My dealer and I have been working on this for over a year. I will admit I will be pissed if I see that there are any orders placed before mine or if I'm given the run around. If that happens I'd be willing to walk away in principle though starting over elsewhere just means I'm at the end of the line so it's a no win situation. If there's any gouging going on I may have to get a vinyl graphic that says XYZ dealer raped me. Call 911
Old 04-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #14
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavymetal454 View Post
Not right away because initial demand. After that wave a good high volume dealer will easily accept those terms.
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote