Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #15
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Seems like a busted rocker or spring....
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #16
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Seems like a busted rocker or spring....

Really? Ugh! How do I know for sure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #17
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Really? Ugh! How do I know for sure?

A CEL code will just show a misfire but could pinpoint what cylinder is having the issue.... mine was a P0300 for cylinder 3 if I recall correctly. You'll need to take it to a shop or uncover the engine yourself to know for sure.

It's not so bad... dealer charged me under 600 to repair in 48hrs when it happened to me. Car will run like new again after the fix if this is your issue.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:06 PM   #18
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
A CEL code will just show a misfire but could pinpoint what cylinder is having the issue.... mine was a P0300 for cylinder 3 if I recall correctly. You'll need to take it to a shop or uncover the engine yourself to know for sure.

It's not so bad... dealer charged me under 600 to repair in 48hrs when it happened to me. Car will run like new again after the fix if this is your issue.

It’s kind of weird though why would both sides have oil on the plugs.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:30 PM   #19
Spec
Account Suspended

I swapped my plugs out a couple of weeks ago for the second time with a good set of wires too... I remember a little something on all 8 of the plugs, though even wear which was a good sign after about 50-55k since the last swap... they looked a bit oily too.

Some of that stuff on your plugs is normal. You'll probably see a bit more or less due to unique driving conditions and engine wear etc and/or how long you've had them on the engine.

I don't know man, but I think that if I couldn't figure it out after some troubleshooting and frustration - its time to take it to a shop/service dept. to have it checked out. You could be doing some damage driving it and turning it off and on trying to figure out what's up, especially if it is a busted rocker or spring.

Just hope you don't have a spun bearing or something like that.......
Old 04-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #20
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Anyone know the torque specs for the spark plugs?

11 ft lbs
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #21
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
That seems like a pretty thick coating of oil on that plug. The thing is, if you had that much oil going into the CC chamber you would have some blue smoke I would think, and the electrode end of the plug would at least have some carbon on it.

I assuming that the other 6 plugs all looked normal?

You mentioned headers, were the plugs removed during the install? It is not uncommon for plugs to get damaged during install from what I understand. This would explain intermittent misfire, but not he oil, unless the plugs thread with oil instead of anti-seize. But then I would think they all would look like that.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:44 AM   #22
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Clean your MAF sensor IMO and air filter first......make sure its all installed tight.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:02 PM   #23
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
I'd swap those two plugs around with two others and see if it continues on those same cylinders. Just remember what got swapped where.

An ohms test on those two wires would be a good move too.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:55 PM   #24
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Ok, I'll ask the obvious.....how long ago were headers installed? When did this problem present itself? What else has been done to the car?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #25
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

All, thanks for all the advice. I wound up changing the plugs and holy shit it’s like a new freaking car, I can believe the power I was missing. As a note, the stock plugs were gapped to nearly 58, crazy!! According to my research the gap is supposed to be 44, so the new ones are gapped to 44.

I believe the plugs were just fouled because I’ve only put about 750 miles on the car in about 2 years. So I drained the gas as well and put a fresh tank in with a can of sea-foam and stabilizer.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:50 PM   #26
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
All, thanks for all the advice. I wound up changing the plugs and holy shit it’s like a new freaking car, I can believe the power I was missing. As a note, the stock plugs were gapped to nearly 58, crazy!! According to my research the gap is supposed to be 44, so the new ones are gapped to 44.

I believe the plugs were just fouled because I’ve only put about 750 miles on the car in about 2 years. So I drained the gas as well and put a fresh tank in with a can of sea-foam and stabilizer.

Did you check the new plugs from the cylinders that had oil on the threads of the old plugs ?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:56 PM   #27
KerseySS
Joey

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 Cyber Grey
One of my plug wires came loose just cruising home one day and started miss firing. Seems like you fixed your issue, I just thought I would share.
RoboFab intake-Dyno Steve tune
ZL1 Rocker Panels-SLP Splitter
Lowered on Phastek springs
Pray Performance ported TB
KerseySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:38 AM   #28
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Did you check the new plugs from the cylinders that had oil on the threads of the old plugs ?
Yeah, keep an eye on those. Your pic just seemed like a lot of oil. Not trying to be a kill joy here, but changing the plugs may have temporarily fixed the symptom. I do hope you're correct however, and she's back to normal. I don't really know all the effects of lack of use, I'll put 700 miles on my car in two weeks.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote