Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #1
firehead

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Mods

I'm currently working on installing some kooks headers, a FAST intake manifold, and a 102mm Throttle body from Nick Williams. Out of curiosity, will my stock transmission be able to handle the increase the new torque output? The only other mod that is on this vehicle is a Borla Atak exhaust and a cold air intake from CAI. I'm fairly new to modding so I don't want to screw it up.
firehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
2014white2ssrs1le

Drives: 2014 white 2ss rs 1le
Should be fine...some guys have said their stock clutch worked fine up to around 600rwtq
2014white2ssrs1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:44 AM   #3
firehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014white2ssrs1le View Post
Should be fine...some guys have said their stock clutch worked fine up to around 600rwtq
Awesome, I was just looking around on the chevy perfomance site and saw that the stock trans was technically only rated for 440 ft/lbs of torque. I don't exactly want to be replacing that yet!
Old 04-24-2018, 08:21 AM   #4
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Absolutely.....If you treat the trans/clutch right, it will last a long time. You can kill the clutch with stock power if you really wanted to.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:47 AM   #5
firehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Absolutely.....If you treat the trans/clutch right, it will last a long time. You can kill the clutch with stock power if you really wanted to.
Very true
Old 04-25-2018, 07:21 AM   #6
Andoskyy

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehead View Post
I'm currently working on installing some kooks headers, a FAST intake manifold, and a 102mm Throttle body from Nick Williams. Out of curiosity, will my stock transmission be able to handle the increase the new torque output? The only other mod that is on this vehicle is a Borla Atak exhaust and a cold air intake from CAI. I'm fairly new to modding so I don't want to screw it up.
If you're not getting a tune, your mods are likely to decrease your HP anyway.

I have essentially all available bolt-ons and have 402hp at the wheels, about a 30-40hp gain over stock and no issues.
Andoskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:06 AM   #7
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehead View Post
I'm currently working on installing some Kooks headers, a FAST intake manifold, and a 102mm Throttle body from Nick Williams. Out of curiosity, will my stock transmission be able to handle the increase the new torque output? The only other mod that is on this vehicle is a Borla Atak exhaust and a cold air intake from CAI. I'm fairly new to modding so I don't want to screw it up.
Clutch n trans will handle that fine. The NW102 n FAST IM won't give you much rwhp on a stock displacement/compression LS3; especially with a stock cam. You'll gain far more power with a cam upgrade than the 102/IM pairing. As mentioned, you'll need a tune after the parts are installed to get the full benefit.

Last edited by PapaKlutch; 04-26-2018 at 01:06 AM. Reason: typo
PapaKlutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:16 AM   #8
firehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andoskyy View Post
If you're not getting a tune, your mods are likely to decrease your HP anyway.

I have essentially all available bolt-ons and have 402hp at the wheels, about a 30-40hp gain over stock and no issues.
Well that's a given, I've done enough research to know that it needs to be tuned after putting the mods on.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:25 AM   #9
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaKlutch View Post
Clutch n trans will handle that fine. The NW102 n FAST IM won't give you much rwhp on a stock displacement/compression LS3; especially with a stock cam. You'll gain far more power with a cam upgrade than the 102/IM pairing. As mentioned, you'll need a tune after the parts are installed to get the full benefit.
I agree with this. LTs, CAI, catch can, ported stock TB, and a tune are all I plan to do until I can come with the money (and balls) to do heads/cam. Anything else is just not worth the money until then IMO.
LSA Blower w/ 2.45 Griptec, Reinforced Brick, FIC 1000 injectors, JRE FPCM, LFP Dual Pass HX, ZL1 IC pump, RotoFab CAI, Bo White TB, Coated Stainless Power 1-7/8" LTs, NPP, NGK TR7IX, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, AEM X-Series WB, Aeroforce Interceptor, MGW Shifter, Z28 Grill, Gary's Custom ZL1 Rockers, Hero Tails, Tuned by IMC
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #10
firehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
I agree with this. LTs, CAI, catch can, ported stock TB, and a tune are all I plan to do until I can come with the money (and balls) to do heads/cam. Anything else is just not worth the money until then IMO.
I'm hoping to do the cam and heads next winter, I've heard the cam is pretty easy, but as a novice, that may not be the case.