Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-09-2016, 08:50 AM   #197
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I think both you guys make valid arguments. I see it as a mixed bag.

I believe newer cars are better made, and conceivably "last longer", but with a huge asterisk. Once newer cars do need some moderate to serious maintenance, the cost of newer complex electronic, air bags and computer type items that older cars never had, soon bring these modern cars to a quick end.

The expense needed for repairs, and cost of even minor accident repairs, sends many to the scrap yard way sooner than the old jalopies that could be fixed with bailing wire and duct tape and a hammer. (so to speak). The value of what could be a car in decent shape easily falls well below what it is worth due to high cost of components and very minor damage, rendering them "worthless" very quickly.

Newer cars are great, much more reliable, and trouble free until they aren't. What kills new cars today, wasn't the case in the old days. So it could be argued longevity is a "tie". Plus leasing and "non-ownership" of new cars is much more prevalent now as the full purchase price is higher and more prohibitive requiring expensive, long-term financing (which means some may only keep their cars, not having any other alternative, other than a trade-in/up to a more expensive financing deal)....

...Just my random $.02 thoughts...
Great points...
Old 09-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #198
JAZ

Drives: 86 Mustang GT Convertible
Here is an additional Pony Car Sales article that I have not seen reported here yet.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...uers-the-world
JAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #199
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZ View Post
Here is an additional Pony Car Sales article that I have not seen reported here yet.

Wow. Good for Ford. It's great to see an American manufacturer doing well world wide.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #200
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Wow that article about ford globally should have been written by Ford lol..small numbers but still a foothold.. The ending with gm stating of we would like to be the sales leader but not to the detriment of others?? Wth..
Old 09-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #201
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
Wow that article about ford globally should have been written by Ford lol..small numbers but still a foothold.. The ending with gm stating of we would like to be the sales leader but not to the detriment of others?? Wth..
Other things.

Quote:
In addition, Chevy deliberately moved the Camaro more upmarket with the latest generation, discontinuing the base LS trim. The sticker price for the Camaro now starts at $1,755 more than the base Mustang. Chevy also is selling fewer than 10 percent of the cars to fleet buyers.
"For us, it's about the right volume," said Todd Christensen, GM's marketing manager for the Camaro. "Would we like to be the sales leader? Yes, but not at the detriment of other things."

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #202
Akura

Drives: ´18 ZL1 A10 Red Hot 😍
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Wow. Good for Ford. It's great to see an American manufacturer doing well world wide.
Don't be wrong, in EU mustangs are been sold for more than a year, and Chevy started in June (and not in all countries, e.g. in Spain Ford sold more than 7000 Mustangs, but Chevy won't sell the Camaro).

BR.
Akura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #203
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
My thinking is that everything on the car is "mass produced" ...... Mass Production should lead to lower cost to customers and in turn lead to sales growth and in that aspect they should be able to make up the difference by surpassing sales goals. And to what detriment ??? By making a super car that is accessible to more and more folks ?? Instead prices go up and start moving away from a lot of people, Camaro use to be the average man's Corvette, no more ...
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #204
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
I wish I could afford a 6th Gen SS but it's too pricey for me ..... :(
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #205
rickr9504

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1 LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Who said anything about tech? And how are they charging a premium for it?

If by tech you mean disc brakes, airbags, A/C that actually works, transmissions with more than 3 gears, side impact protection, body panels that don't start rusting almost immediately, etc. then yea, tech.

The numbers don't lie. Relatively speaking, for what you get, cars are no more expensive than they've ever been.

Cheaper, actually.
Based on your calculations, you are also not taking in consideration, the cost of living: the cost of gas, housing, heating, cooling, food, electricity, etc.... Heck back in the days, only the man worked in the household and they could make it. Now days, you have to have both to work to be able to pay the mortgage and everything else.