Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
tatasta

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Headlight Help

Hello,

Pass side RS HID was out. I got under the hood and went to take the housing cover off and the light came back on. So while I had the cover off, I double checked that the plug was secure on the light. Thought I was good but, it went out the next day.

Changed bulb with new oem Osram and it worked for a day. Now it is back out again.

Question: can that be a bad ballast or, do ballasts either work or not work?

Thank you
Old 09-30-2018, 09:21 AM   #2
Gordy87

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Possible, but sounds more like wiring connection. Does the plug connection have a good fit. I have seen them get hot and burn out and get loose. My Tahoe done it from time to time. Changed out bulb, only to find it good, and then finally found the plug to be slightly burnt just enough to make plug loose. Hope this gives you a good starting point. Also could be in the wiring itself, just back from the plug.
Gordy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
tatasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy87 View Post
Possible, but sounds more like wiring connection. Does the plug connection have a good fit. I have seen them get hot and burn out and get loose. My Tahoe done it from time to time. Changed out bulb, only to find it good, and then finally found the plug to be slightly burnt just enough to make plug loose. Hope this gives you a good starting point. Also could be in the wiring itself, just back from the plug.

The plug seems to fit fine. I will look closer for any burned spots. So, basically, if the plug or wiring is bad, I will need to change the ballast . Correct?

Does the nose of the car need to come off in order to get to the ballast?

Thank you for the response
Old 09-30-2018, 01:14 PM   #4
Gordy87

From my experiences, if you have nimble hands, and a calm temper, it may be possible, but I have neither. Lol. Havent taken the clip off the Camarod yet, but after maybe 8-10 times of fighting with the "Hoe" I find it relatively easy to remove the front.

But look under the fender well, there is a small 4 x 4 access panel built in. As for the ballast, I have not had to change either of mine (knock on wood), but the bulb and ballast are built as 1 unit.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #5
tatasta

Thanks for the info.

I plugged the original bulb, which I thought was bad, into the plug on the drivers side and the bulb works.

So, I don't have a bad bulb but the passenger side headlight is not working on high or low beam.

Is a new ballast the next step?

Thank you
Old 10-03-2018, 06:05 PM   #6
Gordy87

Did the ballast have any discoloration to it? Say from over heating or possible water intrusion. It sounds like it has definitely gave up on you. I think the factory ones are rated for around 2000hrs.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #7
tatasta

Quote:
Did the ballast have any discoloration to it? Say from over heating or possible water intrusion. It sounds like it has definitely gave up on you. I think the factory ones are rated for around 2000hrs.

Not sure what the ballast looks like. I guess that I would like to confirm a ballast problem before I take the nose of the car off.

I understand that no one can be sure that it is the ballast. I just know that the bulbs are good and wonder if the ballast is the next logical step.

Thank you for the replies and info.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:25 PM   #8
Gordy87

[SIZE="5"]Its the round disc that bolts to the headlight housing. Pop a quick google search for 2010 camaro ss/rd headlight ballast and you will get some pics. As stated, I havent had to change mine, but I think it can be done thru the access port. Worth a shot at least.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #9
tatasta

Went for a drive yesterday. Pulled back into the garage and the passenger light was working. Shut the car off and tried the headlights again... Light was back out again.

WTF?? Does that still sound like a ballast issue?

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #10
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
To me, it sounds like the ballast as this is what mine did before it went out.

To change the passenger side ballast is a royal pain in the rear end (unlike the drivers side which is really easy). The only way to replace it is to take off the front fascia and remove the headlight assembly because the fuse box, wiring, and radiator overflow prevents you from getting to it from underneath.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #11
tatasta

Found the problem. Not the bulb or the ballast.
The fuse for the passenger headlight is messed up in the fuse block. The fuse is very loose in the fuse block. It is not blown but you can wiggle it back and forth and the light will go on and off. I never really checked the fuse because the light would work intermittently. Never seen a fuse "position/port" be bad before.

How does one fix that? I even wrapped a little wire around both legs of the fuse to tighten it up but that did not help. More like it has been pushed down to far to make a good connection.

Is there a way to get to the back side of the fuse location?
Old 10-23-2018, 07:03 PM   #12
Gordy87

The fuse box should be removable by taking out the mounting screws. Not in front of it at the moment, but when removed, all the wires should be pushed into to place in a guided housing and they snap into place using a small tab made onto the terminal. We have millions of these at work, and believe it or not, they do come loose at times, even if nothing and ever been replaced. Just take caution when unmounting the panel and moving around, as to not jerk wires out, or the wire in question coming out and not knowing where it goes back.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:32 AM   #13
tatasta

Quote:
The fuse box should be removable by taking out the mounting screws. Not in front of it at the moment, but when removed, all the wires should be pushed into to place in a guided housing and they snap into place using a small tab made onto the terminal. We have millions of these at work, and believe it or not, they do come loose at times, even if nothing and ever been replaced. Just take caution when unmounting the panel and moving around, as to not jerk wires out, or the wire in question coming out and not knowing where it goes back.
Gotcha. Thank you for the reply.

I will check it out.