Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
lelzie

Drives: Black 3LT -Non Z51
Wheel Option Feedback Appreciated - PLEASE

First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Leon and I am a member of the permagrin club. I have a 2012 Black SS that I want to finally get some wheels put on.

I am hoping to get some feedback on the final two wheels I am look at.
After about 3 months of endless searches, reviewing feedback on this forum, seeing what others are running and why, I feel that these two choices fit me.
(Of course if you think something else my catch my eye, I am always down to look)

I looking at the 22" Giovanna Mecca

or

A set of these Cordon CR1 in 20''

I like the concave mesh style as it tends to look more aggressive as a wheel in my opinion.
The 5 spoke concave looks clean and minimalist and I am basing the MECCA on the D2 Forged that I have seen. The D2s that I have seen are a little more than I want to pay for a daily driven SS.

I hope to make my final decision today and make the purchase then.
I have had the privilege of talking to a few members here on C5 and have had great experiences, so I am hoping to reach out to more individuals on their thoughts and comments on the two options.
I have read quit a few Mecca threads and Cordon threads but never comparing or considerations between the two.

If you have criticism or other suggestions on the wheels, I welcome that as well. Thanks.

Last edited by lelzie; 04-26-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling error
lelzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
ss409cid

Drives: 2011 SS RS Convertible
The mesh....
Old 04-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
blgl1800

Drives: 11 SS/RS Vert/E-ForceSupercharger
I have been in the same 3+ month searh for wheels. I have a silver SS and have been looking at something similar to the American Racing Villain.
Machined front / black accent - was told it is not a good fit (even though tire rack info says yes). I do like the Giovanna Mecca your deciding on.
Think I'll have a look at that site.
blgl1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Stewcam

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
mesh
Old 04-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
lelzie

And mesh is out to an early advantage. I do like the look as well.
The mesh in the brushed silver (as it were) gives it a nice way to stand out without being very prevalent as chrome would be. But that is just my thought on the matter.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
lelzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgl1800 View Post
I have been in the same 3+ month searh for wheels. I have a silver SS and have been looking at something similar to the American Racing Villain.
Machined front / black accent - was told it is not a good fit (even though tire rack info says yes). I do like the Giovanna Mecca your deciding on.
Think I'll have a look at that site.
There are a couple of vendors on C5 that sell the Meccas. I have been chatting them up with questions for a while now and they have been great as far as response and getting you the information you are looking for.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Mesh please.
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
Bmbl-B
THE TERROR CONTINUES

Drives: 95 imp ss 67 TT PS NOVA 07GMC
I tried to order these wheels yesterday and i was told that they wont fit my ss that the calipers will touch so is this guy that wouldnt sell me the wheels wrong or is everyone in here trying to push these wheels forgetting to say that they need spacers any info on this would be great thanks???
Old 04-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
lelzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmbl-B View Post
I tried to order these wheels yesterday and i was told that they wont fit my ss that the calipers will touch so is this guy that wouldnt sell me the wheels wrong or is everyone in here trying to push these wheels forgetting to say that they need spacers any info on this would be great thanks???
When you say these wheels, are you saying both sets have had the same issue or one vs. the other.

In each of the correspondence that I have had with sellers of these wheels. None have made mention of needing spacers. I have noted I am running SS with Brembo, but now you bring a good point. I will have to ask specifically about this.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
Sickwitit

Drives: Fast, Faster, and O My God...!
You can't go wrong with either one...great choices...But I tend to like the wheels in the MECCA style...with the correct offset and wheel size as well as a lowered car...the wide lowered stance will give you the aggressive look your after...and on the plus side it exposes your big breaks to which adds another element to a custom looking car.
Good luck with your choice but Mecca wheel hands down...and 1 last point as I've read the CR1 Mesh style wheels are very popular with those to whom will be using their car's to go auto crossing...their said to be lighter and stronger to handle the extreme g's.
Sickwitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
Bmbl-B
THE TERROR CONTINUES

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelzie View Post
When you say these wheels, are you saying both sets have had the same issue or one vs. the other.

In each of the correspondence that I have had with sellers of these wheels. None have made mention of needing spacers. I have noted I am running SS with Brembo, but now you bring a good point. I will have to ask specifically about this.
Iam sorry about that i tried to order the Mecca wheels
Old 04-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
Sickwitit

Drives: Fast, Faster, and O My God...!
Something like these

Both are very nice.
Attached Images

Sickwitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
Bmbl-B
THE TERROR CONTINUES

I just spoke to the same wheel shop and he told me that they did a fit test and the giovanna mecca wheels the front ones Do rub on the calipers and you can use a 3mm or a 5mm spacer to clear the caliper so all these wheel companies need to do a test fit so people can get the right info about these wheels
Old 04-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
I like both as well. Kinda of a hard choice. Put it like this either way you decide to go your still on top of your game kid. The decision is on you.