Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-05-2021, 03:52 PM   #15
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunchamp View Post
No benefit. The secondary sensors are there to just make sure your cat is properly cleaning the exhaust and will trip a engine light if they see an issue. Doesnt really do anything to the car
Yeh that's what I thought. Thanks
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:09 PM   #16
morepowerjoe

What are yalls opinion on this exhaust system
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-7005-t...xtensions.aspx
It's 2" headers with 3" pipe. Will it hurt anything going this big?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 03-12-2021, 01:33 AM   #17
morepowerjoe

Anyone?

Old 03-12-2021, 06:08 AM   #18
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Unless you make enough power to need 2" primaries, I think you'll find 1-7/8" easier to install.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:30 AM   #19
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Looks good, BUT - do you really need a 3" system which makes for tighter clearances, AND - how will it sound?
I went with BORLA cause their systems offer "muffler" choices for various sound levels (Touring, S Type, or aggressive ATAK), and I knew it would fit good even with my chassis brace. No cats for me cause they may not play well with a blower and clog up. I started with the cat-less ATAK and the sound was great, but then after installing a Whipple it was nasty loud. So I added a Magnaflow at the X-over and drove it a year like that, but it was a little subdued. Since I don't drive it daily I removed the Magnaflow, put the Borla X-Over back in, and it is once again just plain mean sounding and everyone knows it. The stainless clamps shown are great with a little sealer, no welding required, won't deform the pipes, and allows easy disassembly - like I did. Just my experience
Part #140356
2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS Cat-Back Exhaust System ATAK Part # 140356
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:23 AM   #20
Axe55

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I would agree with the two posts above, 2" LTs and a 3" exhaust are not necessary. Lots of people posting on here with 1 7/8" headers and 2.5" exhaust into the 700, 800hp range. Sound is another story and is up to you.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with that system, TSP has a good reputation. If you want the big one, go for it!
2012 Camaro SS LS3, JRE Scoop, CAI intake, Whipple Supercharger, Fast 85lb injectors, ZL1 pump, McLeod RXT clutch, MGW shifter, Stainless Power 1 7/8 headers w/HFC, Ridetech coilovers, BMR sway bars, trailing arms, toe rods, cradle bushing inserts, 2020 Speed Tuned.
Axe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:25 AM   #21
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesster View Post
Looks good, BUT - do you really need a 3" system which makes for tighter clearances, AND - how will it sound?
I went with BORLA cause their systems offer "muffler" choices for various sound levels (Touring, S Type, or aggressive ATAK), and I knew it would fit good even with my chassis brace. No cats for me cause they may not play well with a blower and clog up. I started with the cat-less ATAK and the sound was great, but then after installing a Whipple it was nasty loud. So I added a Magnaflow at the X-over and drove it a year like that, but it was a little subdued. Since I don't drive it daily I removed the Magnaflow, put the Borla X-Over back in, and it is once again just plain mean sounding and everyone knows it. The stainless clamps shown are great with a little sealer, no welding required, won't deform the pipes, and allows easy disassembly - like I did. Just my experience
Part #140356
2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS Cat-Back Exhaust System ATAK Part # 140356
I didn't even think about the tigher clearances. That's why I need your guys opinions. Do you think if I piece together a system with headers, x pipe, and a axle back it will all bolt together? I was hoping to install everything in my garage by myself and I do have a small welder but I don't really want to have and weld anything since I'll be doing it off my back. Also I would like it to be not too loud but noticeable. Thanks for the part numbers.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:33 AM   #22
morepowerjoe

ok I have been on the fence about weather or not to run cats or no cats. Should I be worried about the cats clogging up with the ss1vvt camshaft at GPI?

Old 03-13-2021, 06:15 AM   #23
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Mu understanding is the cats only clog under high heat situations, typically boosted supercharger or turbo applications, or crap gas maybe, so any cam should be OK. Some experiencing this issue can be found in this Forum.
With no Cats, you do notice more exhaust smell, and I imagine get more back rap when letting off the throttle. I don't mind the smell, but would not want it for a daily driver.
Other lesson learned when installing a new exhaust is pay attention to clearances - even the smallest touching to the heat shields or anything else creates really annoying sounds. I found "pinging" all of them with a finger or screwdriver uncovers rattles, and I bend them slightly to get a dead sound.
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:30 AM   #24
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Once you go FI you should have a 3 inch setup to get the most out of your engine. Most people go 3 inch once they hit 500rwhp which is a smart move. This information is evidence based by the way.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:35 AM   #25
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
ok I have been on the fence about weather or not to run cats or no cats. Should I be worried about the cats clogging up with the ss1vvt camshaft at GPI?
Cats will be fine with that cam choice. I have the SS2VVT with cats and no issues whatsoever.

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Holley Dominator ECU, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, Kooks Headers, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:27 AM   #26
morepowerjoe

I really appreciate all the feedback guys thank you. I was thinking of going with TSP longtubes with catted connection pipes and the Speed Engineering true dual exhaust but it sounds too loud. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cVPuYk2S61k
So it seems like I'm thinking of going with the TSP 1 7/8" longtubes with 3" catted x pipe and mufflers https://www.texas-speed.com/p-5459-t...xtensions.aspx The only thing is that I can't find a good sound clip of it but you would think that it is a little quieter because it actually has mufflers. Also it only comes with a 3" exhaust so I don't know.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:34 PM   #27
morepowerjoe

Does anybody know what size the connection pipes are on the Speed Engineering 1 7/8" long tube headers are? Will they bolt up to the factory size piping?