Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-18-2021, 05:46 AM   #1
ruby2010

Drives: 2010ss
Does this sound normal tune/trans

Recently had the car dyno tuned after some bolt on's. From what Ive read everyone says from the factory the 6l80's are tuned like sh*t and after a tune there is a huge difference. I honestly do not notice much other then maybe little firmness under heavy throttle shifts. I also noticed there is now a longer delay when using the tap shift. Other then setting air fuel, decreasing torque management , tuning out O2's for headers don't think he did anything or even a good tune at that and a definite waste of time and dyno money.
Anyone experience this before? I know a improper tune will send a 6l80 to a early grave but the longer delay in tap shifting etc has me hating the tune. And no I'm not going back to the tuner, they've been around 20+'s yrs and if you cant get this right first try idk. Honestly feel they just benched tuned it and it didn't go on the dyno

Last edited by ruby2010; 01-24-2022 at 11:22 AM.
ruby2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:53 AM   #2
ruby2010

Nobody with any insight?
Old 10-21-2021, 04:41 AM   #3
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I had mine remote tuned by GPI and then dyno tuned by a local shop. Even the remote tune significantly increased the firmness. So I pulled the tune with hp tuners and looked at what they did. They increased the max pressure and the adaptive oncoming pressures. If you get hp tuners you could easily do this yourself and not have to mess with the tuners. Now I don't know about your engine side of the tune and how it runs because there is a lot of things that you can do that will hurt the engine there. If it runs good then I would recommend getting hp tuners and doing the tranny tuning yourself but if it doesn't run perfect then I would just get another dyno tune.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:20 AM   #4
ruby2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I had mine remote tuned by GPI and then dyno tuned by a local shop. Even the remote tune significantly increased the firmness. So I pulled the tune with hp tuners and looked at what they did. They increased the max pressure and the adaptive oncoming pressures. If you get hp tuners you could easily do this yourself and not have to mess with the tuners. Now I don't know about your engine side of the tune and how it runs because there is a lot of things that you can do that will hurt the engine there. If it runs good then I would recommend getting hp tuners and doing the tranny tuning yourself but if it doesn't run perfect then I would just get another dyno tune.
Think ultimately I’m going to have to get to another tuner and have it gone over for at least peace of mind. When asked if he did shift points he gave me some run around answer and that’s when i knew went to the wrong shop, and it’s a GM that’s been around for decades
Old 10-21-2021, 04:11 PM   #5
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
I would find another tuner. Back when we did my LT install and dyno tune they did the trans as well and the difference in what it was stock to the tune they did to the trans was night and day different!! Higher shift points, firmer shift pressure at WOT, and also at normal driving it would shift a whole lot better than the stock tune.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:43 PM   #6
Rem0v3r

Drives: 2013 ss2 vert l99
I ran a pat g tune on my 6l80 stock.. shifts nice at low throttle.. barks 2nd 3rd 4th on mid to hard throttle on street tires... 0.1ms shift times..4500lb turbo car on 10 psi.. boosted for 3 years, before that I drove it hard na.. before I baught it it was a rental... as a precaution I rebuilt the trans at 100k miles to a max effort /fully built deal...
The old clutches and internals looked brand new.. if thats not convincing then I dunno what to tell ya..
Rem0v3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:50 PM   #7
redrum_maro
Runs on caffeine

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Ive had my trans tuned for roughly 4 years now. The day I had it tuned I wasn't expecting too much. So there I am giving heavy throttle and shifting from first to second I completely spun the tires not expecting it at all. Also my torque limiter was removed, ABS, TC and many other goodies were tuned to not be so interfering. Under normal driving condition you can feel the trans changing gears aggressively. With these aggressive shifts and a 6700rpm redline I spin tire from second to third with 305s on the rear as a bolt on only car.
redrum_maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:09 AM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum_maro View Post
Ive had my trans tuned for roughly 4 years now. The day I had it tuned I wasn't expecting too much. So there I am giving heavy throttle and shifting from first to second I completely spun the tires not expecting it at all. Also my torque limiter was removed, ABS, TC and many other goodies were tuned to not be so interfering. Under normal driving condition you can feel the trans changing gears aggressively. With these aggressive shifts and a 6700rpm redline I spin tire from second to third with 305s on the rear as a bolt on only car.
^^^^ this is how it should be!! When we tuned mine for FBO's, in "D" the tune is a little more aggressive than stock, but in "sport mode", S, is where he did my aggressive tune, so to say the least, I drive in "S" , sport mode all the time. And that was before I had a stall converter in her. Now it's all different. lol.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:53 PM   #9
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby2010 View Post
When asked if he did shift points he gave me some run around answer and that’s when i knew went to the wrong shop, and it’s a GM that’s been around for decades
My little V6 needed the TC replaced under warranty and the transmission guy at the GM dealership noted that he had "adjusted the shift points" while he was in there.
Wow!
It was night-and day-different when I got it back so yeah, something sounds fishy.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote