Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #43
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGeorge View Post
I never pressed the button. I did not want it activated. I told them to delete me, my car and all info pertaining to me.

If they track my car or share or sell my info, I think I would sue.

And I didn't really know much about it before the car sale. My '05 GTO did not come with it. This is my first experience with it.

From the NY Times:
… OnStar reserves the right to share that information with other companies and organizations, even data culled from motorists who no longer subscribe to the service but who have left the two-way communications connection open.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...le-some-users/

Did your dealer explain / tell you this?
I never pushed the button either. Maybe if I had no cell phone or were 90 yrs old I might see a use for a service like onstar. Seems like overkill and a huge waste of money.
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #44
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
They are not tracking the vehicle FOR US until we pay. But your vehicle is continuously tracked. I'd be willing to bet if you are not currently paying for the service and you push the Onstar button and advisor can come on line and tell you exactly where you are. And if the police or the dealer wanted to track you down because you've been gone too long on a test drive they could give Onstar the vin # and track you down within minutes. Like I said the system is passively active whether activated or not. It's always on standby. At least this has been my experience with the system.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #45
JustGeorge
ZL1 CRT 1 of 53

Drives: 2012 & 2017 ZL1's
Just to Be Clear :)

OnStar does not track your vehicle. No way; no shape, not all. Positioning or speed is never sent to OnStar. Unless perhaps you push the button. It never records your speed or sends it to OnStar. True?
I never said continuously. I wouldn’t think that it would continuously track a parked car. Or one in storage with the battery disconnected. I'm not sure why continuously was added.
Does OnStar as of now (today is Feb 2013) sell (or share) any data from OnStar equipped vehicles?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #46
KamShows

Drives: GM
snackbar64,
If there is not a data connection to the vehicle via an active subscription, OnStar cannot provide any services.
-Kameya Shows, OnStar Communications
kameya.shows@onstar.com
KamShows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #47
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
All you guys griping about not being able to track the car and onstar and I'm pissed about how the news and the dealership are calling it a limited production car...
Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #48
KamShows

Drives: GM
JustGeorge-You mentioned in a previous post that you don't have an active OnStar subscription. If that is the case, OnStar doesn’t have a connection to your vehicle.
OnStar does not track vehicles, except in the case of Stolen Vehicle Assistance. And with Stolen Vehicle Assistance first there has to be an active subscription/data connection. Secondly, the subscriber needs to reports the vehicle as stolen to law enforcement. OnStar then will locate the vehicle via GPS and provide the location to law enforcement.

KamShows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #49
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
For a thief to defeat onstar all they have to do is break off the shark fin.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #50
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Took mine out of the garage yesterday and the day before. Temps were in the 50/60 range. Last time out was at least three weeks ago. I immediately noticed the icons, all three were lit up, in red, for the first five minutes or so of my ride. Since it had been garaged, and not connected with on star, I'm assuming it did a full system analysis. I noticed this on both days I took the car out for a spin. Maybe this happens every time I've taken the car out, but this was the first time I noticed. The lights/icons that lit up in red are in the reflective part of the mirror, not the icons you touch to contact on star. Then the next time I looked in the mirror the icons were gone. Try it out and see if this happens to you. I'll bet if your parked outside it does not happen because on star never loses the signal, but put her underground and they will make a reconnect when she emerges. I've used it for directions before, not often, but sure came in handy. I asked the women how fast I was going and she told me she was unable to see that data. I'm sure it's recording all data, but it is not given to the advisors. Whatever it is they do I hope it doesn't come back to bite me. I don't think I have ever had her out and not hit 100mph, at least. 119mph yesterday just following another car, yes on the hi way, but only for a couple of miles, then we hit some traffic and slowed right down to 80 like everyone else.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #51
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx82 View Post
All you guys griping about not being able to track the car and onstar and I'm pissed about how the news and the dealership are calling it a limited production car...

Ha,ha! I got into a heated converstaion with an idiot salesman on that same subject. They had the car locked and said he couldn't open it! I of course left and bought my car from a different dealership!
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #52
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
It won't make ANY difference, no matter how many times the OnStar rep tells us they NO they do not track us, don't record this, don't record that, etc etc, etc.

Even if it's alll true and accurate, there will ALWAYS be some people that will NEVER be convinced. Their mind is made up and that's it.

On the other hand pehaps it's not a bad idea to assume you ARE being watched at all times.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #53
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp ZL1 View Post
Ha,ha! I got into a heated converstaion with an idiot salesman on that same subject. They had the car locked and said he couldn't open it! I of course left and bought my car from a different dealership!
Good, I'm glad you didn't let them screw you! They all need to have a little more for their customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
It won't make ANY difference, no matter how many times the OnStar rep tells us they NO they do not track us, don't record this, don't record that, etc etc, etc.

Even if it's alll true and accurate, there will ALWAYS be some people that will NEVER be convinced. Their mind is made up and that's it.

On the other hand pehaps it's not a bad idea to assume you ARE being watched at all times.
Yes, did you see this? http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e95_1359267780
Old 02-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #54
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx82 View Post
So what? Even if Big Brother has this capability, do you really think they're going to use it to see if you're speeding on your way to Walmart? Or to track stolen cars? They people that own and control this type of survailance have mush bigger issues to deal with.

Yes they CAN do remarkable things these days, but unless you're some kind of threat, they're not going to waste this type of resource on you.

just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #55
Alvin@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 IOM RSS
This is scary. The dealership in question is about 2 miles away from us. We are on the same road. I hope they catch them. Word is several other dealers have been hit too recently. They will get caught.
Alvin@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #56
JustGeorge
ZL1 CRT 1 of 53

Drives: 2012 & 2017 ZL1's
Does OnStar Sell or Share Any Data?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamShows View Post
JustGeorge-You mentioned in a previous post that you don't have an active OnStar subscription. If that is the case, OnStar doesn’t have a connection to your vehicle.
OnStar does not track vehicles, except in the case of Stolen Vehicle Assistance. And with Stolen Vehicle Assistance first there has to be an active subscription/data connection. Secondly, the subscriber needs to reports the vehicle as stolen to law enforcement. OnStar then will locate the vehicle via GPS and provide the location to law enforcement.

KamShows
First of all thanks for your responses. But, you did not answer my question.

Does OnStar as of now (today is Feb 2013) sell (or share) any data from OnStar equipped vehicles?

Then you stated:

Then explain how I got a message pushed to me while driving my car from OnStar telling me that I needed to activate it?
Thanks in advance.