Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #71
JustGeorge
ZL1 CRT 1 of 53

Drives: 2012 & 2017 ZL1's
Take a Look at this Video

Since OnStar has read and skipped over my question not answering it about selling or sharing any data from OnStar equipped vehicles… And then stating that unless you activate OnStar they do not have a connection to your vehicle when I had an unwanted message from OnStar pushed to me when I never activated it. I would like to know how to disable it without impacting any other functionality. In an effort to do this I found:

Has anyone tired this? Has anyone replaced the OnStar module to get the data sent to their cell phone?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #72
KamShows

Drives: GM
JustGeorge,

OnStar doesn't sell any data. In cases like OnStar Automatic Crash Response (ACR) we share information pertinent to condition of vehicle occupants with first responders.

Regards,
- Kameya Shows
OnStar Communications
Kameya.shows@onstar.com
KamShows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #73
Kluch

Drives: CTS-V
I love how paranoid some people are. Watching too many movies thinking they are under constant surveillance and having their privacy violated. Onstar has been around for MANY years now. And I am not aware of 1 case where someone has been violated or sold out to the cops by onstar for speeding or other violations. I have had onstar in my last 6 vehicles and frankly won't buy a car without it. They have helped me out of many traffic issues that could not be overcome by my traditional navigation. Its nice to know that help is just a button push away (or automatic if in an accident) when u have young children on board and are far from home.

But now I have to go. There are 2 guys in black suits with ear pieces at the door. Onstar must have tipped them off...dang it!!!!
Kluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #74
Sweet Zness
Because I Can

Drives: 08 IOM G8GT 11 Victory Red SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamShows View Post
JustGeorge,

OnStar doesn't sell any data. In cases like OnStar Automatic Crash Response (ACR) we share information pertinent to condition of vehicle occupants with first responders.

Regards,
- Kameya Shows
OnStar Communications
Kameya.shows@onstar.com

Im curious to know something though.

Recently Progressive insurance wanted to use their Snapshot to help lower my bills. It would track how I use my car and if I was deemed a safer type driver they would lower my bill accordingly. When I pressed the agent as to who would receive this info they told me only Progressive. I asked if they could use this info as a way to raise my insurance later on to which they would have no answer. Also they wouldn't tell me weather or not this info could be in certain cases shared with law enforcement to determine if I was speeding in an accident situation. To which Progressive wouldn't deny this.

Can onstar be used in the same manner? Not that I don't want to be responsible if I was speeding, but I don't want it held against me as if it was the main reason for an accident. ie. Im doing 73 in a 65 and some nut job sideswipes me. He claims its my fault and onstar gives this info to cops who then use it to determine I was the one at fault.
Sweet Zness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #75
RedWingsZL1

Drives: 2013 AGM M6 ZL1, 2008 Tahoe LTZ
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Zness View Post
Im curious to know something though.

Recently Progressive insurance wanted to use their Snapshot to help lower my bills. It would track how I use my car and if I was deemed a safer type driver they would lower my bill accordingly. When I pressed the agent as to who would receive this info they told me only Progressive. I asked if they could use this info as a way to raise my insurance later on to which they would have no answer. Also they wouldn't tell me weather or not this info could be in certain cases shared with law enforcement to determine if I was speeding in an accident situation. To which Progressive wouldn't deny this.

Can onstar be used in the same manner? Not that I don't want to be responsible if I was speeding, but I don't want it held against me as if it was the main reason for an accident. ie. Im doing 73 in a 65 and some nut job sideswipes me. He claims its my fault and onstar gives this info to cops who then use it to determine I was the one at fault.
As a UAV operator, I just want to let you know that Onstar is the least of your concern. Not only is Onstar tracking your vehicle, but the US Government monitors the information and is informed of your every action and current location at all times. If you stray from normal activity, they dispatch a drone to over-watch you and make sure you aren't doing anything nefarious.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #76
JustGeorge
ZL1 CRT 1 of 53

Drives: 2012 & 2017 ZL1's
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamShows View Post
JustGeorge,

Regards,
- Kameya Shows
OnStar Communications
Kameya.shows@onstar.com

Thanks for answering KamShows. Is that (ACR) the only instance that OnStar shares data?

Where can I find OnStar's complete written policy?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #77
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsZL1 View Post
As a UAV operator, I just want to let you know that Onstar is the least of your concern. Not only is Onstar tracking your vehicle, but the US Government monitors the information and is informed of your every action and current location at all times. If you stray from normal activity, they dispatch a drone to over-watch you and make sure you aren't doing anything nefarious.
Wow! I'm certain the drone can keep up with me when my foot gets a little heavy, so my question is "should I wave to the camera or flip them the bird"?
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #78
Kevlar382

Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitman View Post
I believe that the OnStar system has a separate, hidden backup battery for that purpose
How come I have never had to replace the hidden battery? I all ways sell my pickups to the same person and they have never replaced it.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #79
BigV8LS3

Drives: 09 G8 GXP, 99 Silverado,10 Cobalt
Its amazing how this thread about stolen Camaros has turned more into an onstar this/that thread. Geeeeez
09 G8 GXP A6 SRM with sunroof. Mods:Livernois maggie 2300, 3.0" pulley, 160 stat, KB Bap. Rotofab, Corsa catback, Kooks 1 7/8 mids, 502rwhp/479tq. Suspension: BMR, Pedders supercar coilovers. Show:CTS-V2 rims w/nitto invos 255/40 and 285/35. Oracle yellow halos. HSV triple gauges.
BigV8LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #80
RedWingsZL1

Drives: 2013 AGM M6 ZL1, 2008 Tahoe LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Wow! I'm certain the drone can keep up with me when my foot gets a little heavy, so my question is "should I wave to the camera or flip them the bird"?

Actually, you could out-run the one i fly. max speed 110kts. but we never go more than 70-100 kts. So just go over 130 and u'll out-run us!

However, we can see a long way away. so run far AND fast!

Actually, we can't even fly inside FAA airspace. so phooey. :(