Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
top_of_the_pile

Drives: Piercer
Any way to confirm that oil/filter change ACTUALLY took place?

Is there any way to confirm that oil/filter change ACTUALLY took place when getting an oil change at a dealership? Let's be clear, I don't trust dealership shops as far as I can lift my Camaro and throw it, and all three Chevy ones in my area that I've had dealings don't let you watch your car being worked on.

What stops them from just resetting the computer like they usually do after a change and calling it a day? Especially now with all the 24-month-free maintenance plans Camaros come with, they can't be making much there and it must seem like low-profit taking-up-shop time wasting to most dealerships.

I ask, because I asked my dealership to change my oil on last visit and they REALLY didn't want to. Like REALLY! The service tech kept telling me to wait for a free scheduled change but I kept telling him I don't care that it's too soon, and that I would gladly pay. I mean, they wouldn't take my money and change never happened. Seriously wtf!? I ended up being told to come back when it's 6000 miles or the computer displays 20%.

So any way to track this?
top_of_the_pile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Mark the filter. Ask for the old filter back?

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #3
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
The synthetic oil is almost clear. Look at the dipstick after they change it, and if you have a SS just look at the filter that's attached to your engine. Problem solved. Your welcome.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
J-vette

Drives: '14 1le
Dealers are bad, but I don't think they would not change the oil when they are supposed to. They might have been crowded & thats why they didn't want to do it. Or it could be that they felt that you didn't need an oils change (too soon). Just check the oil yourself & if it's still clear (not too dark) then you are fine.
J-vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
top_of_the_pile

Drives: Piercer
Called to schedule appointment for oil change. (Jennings Chevy) Was told to wait until "6000 or 7000... technically you should be fine until 10,000 miles." Okayyyy. I just want to flush the factory stuff at 1500 miles. Simple as that! Why is it hard for these di**s to take my money?!!!!

I'm just going to do this myself like I do with pretty much all my other cars. Warranty wise is there anything GM/Chevy specific I should know?

Off topic: Mitsubishi never gave me crap on either of my Lancers and I did half the changes on those cars and when I wanted them to do it (usually coupon deals they mailed to me that were hard to ignore) all I needed to drive to the dealer. None of this play-date doctor appointment shit. Just change mah oil!
top_of_the_pile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
hogwild87

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
I work at a dealership myself and I change oil all day long probably 100 plus cars a week and I've never not changed the oil on any one car that's come into our shop. Just check the oil and see if it's clear and if this was ur first oil change the filter label is different from the factory than regular ac delco filters. If it's a red label it's the factory filter
hogwild87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #7
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
The included Chevy maintenance program calls for no-charge "scheduled maintenance" so technically, since they're buyin', they can define the rules however they want. With a 7000 mile OCI, many owners won't collect on that fourth oil change thereby saving Chevy millions of dollars.

I discussed this in advance with the Service Manager at my dealer. I specifically asked him if they will change the oil at 1000 miles, with M1, will it be covered and he said yes. When I called to make the appointment for this Saturday, the service writer confirmed. I will do my own changes after the prepaid ones are complete, but why not take advantage of service you've already paid for?
Old 05-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
hogwild87

Yeah in order for gm to pay for the first 2 years or 24,000 miles whichever occurs first the oil life monitor has to reach 18% or less or it won't be covered. Luckily for me I do my own work on my 2013 silverado and get paid to do it lol
Old 05-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
Indydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwild87 View Post
Yeah in order for gm to pay for the first 2 years or 24,000 miles whichever occurs first the oil life monitor has to reach 18% or less or it won't be covered. Luckily for me I do my own work on my 2013 silverado and get paid to do it lol
Interesting. I completely understand why GM would do that but why would my SM tell me it's covered at 1000 miles? I really don't have a problem doing the first one myself.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
hogwild87

I'm not sure on that one, cuz I know for my first oil change I was at 6,000 miles and still had like 20-22% left but we just doctored it a little and said I had 15% lol that oil life monitoring is bs anyways it goes off ignition cycles and distance and time of trips, has no relativity on the oil whatsoever. It's basically an idiot light for people who don't change their oil like they should
Old 05-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #11
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuzz View Post
The synthetic oil is almost clear. Look at the dipstick after they change it, and if you have a SS just look at the filter that's attached to your engine. Problem solved. Your welcome.
This.. done.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #12
Indydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwild87 View Post
lol that oil life monitoring is bs anyways it goes off ignition cycles and distance and time of trips, has no relativity on the oil whatsoever. It's basically an idiot light for people who don't change their oil like they should
That's interesting. I read a thread here about how sophisticated GM's OLM is. I've confirmed Honda's with lab analysis of the used oil. Maybe I'll do that on my LS3 as well.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #13
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Hey Indydriver, That would be interesting information to see on the LS3!
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #14
Indydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewatkins3 View Post
Hey Indydriver, That would be interesting information to see on the LS3!
My Service Manager has reconfirmed that he will cover an oil change at 1000 miles under the program so I'm going to let him. There's not much point in doing an oil analysis at 1000 miles. It will show plenty of life left in the additive package and plenty of metallic contamination. I will do some testing once I use up the included Chevy oil changes but that will be a year or two. The point of doing this is, you confirm that the OLM is accurate. If it runs down to zero at say, 8,000 miles and you test it and it has some life left, then you know for certain how long to run your oil. To me, that is worthwhile information. So my first OCI tomorrow will be at 1000 miles. I'll probably do the next one at 4,000 then follow the OLM. This "wastes" some oil but it gets the metals out a little sooner. Plus my tuner requested an oil change before dynotuning so, I'm going to give it to him.