Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #1
Blown1LE

Drives: 2015 Supercharged Camaro 1LE
e85 idle issues

I am having an idle issue since adding a stage 3 cam and going to e85 and although the tuner got it better its still not right. Idle sometimes surges too but my biggest problem is the idle struggles to stay stable especially when the car is hot. On my second tuner and cant seem to get it resolved so at this point I wonder if I have a vacuum leak I am not finding plus hot starts are terrible, after some hard runs the AIT reads 140 degrees and its dumping way too much fuel on start up and chocking the engine until the temps drop into the 120s and then it clears up.
The radiator hose runs under the air intake so close to the tube and directly under the MAF sensor that the tube is red hot to the touch so no wonder the air temps are so high. Has anyone with the heartbeat supercharger ran into any of these issues ? Thanks in advance
Old 06-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #2
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Which fuel injectors are you running? If over 127# has the tune been scaled? Did you double stoich and halve IFR?

As for hot starts, I had to add 20% to the warmer areas of this cranking time table. It made a huge difference. The car wouldnt even start before this change. Now it starts everytime, no matter the temp.

140 IAT's are pretty damn hot. I'm not running a PD, but I have never seen anything over 126 degrees after back to back runs. Is your tune setup to pull timing at 140? Mine doesnt pull until 158 (which I've never seen).

Do you have HPTuners? Can you share your tune file?
Attached Images

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
Blown1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
Which fuel injectors are you running? If over 127# has the tune been scaled? Did you double stoich and halve IFR?

As for hot starts, I had to add 20% to the warmer areas of this cranking time table. It made a huge difference. The car wouldnt even start before this change. Now it starts everytime, no matter the temp.

140 IAT's are pretty damn hot. I'm not running a PD, but I have never seen anything over 126 degrees after back to back runs. Is your tune setup to pull timing at 140? Mine doesnt pull until 158 (which I've never seen).

Do you have HPTuners? Can you share your tune file?
Sorry I do not have HP Tuners, I took the car to a tuner in Tampa over the weekend and the car runs way better than before but the idle issue is still there at times. We were seeing 143 degrees air intake temps after runs
I do not have a copy of the tune. Did a cold start yesterday and that was all over the place until it stabilized
I am running ID 1050 injectors. No idea if the tune has been scaled. I by no means have any tuning knowledge so I am relying on the pros to get this right and I am two tuners into this and although the car makes great power the idle is just not settled at all. It is slightly better on 93 than the e85 but I didnt spend all this money to not run the e85, just need to get this resolved and make sure its not a mechanical issue also I guess but other than the idle and hot and now cold starts the car seems happy on the road.

The first tuner at Kings Performance in Orlando actually downloaded a tune off a Chevy SS he tuned the week before and called it good and the car would not idle at all, was backfiring and getting 7 mpg so I will be calling them about that, the car can be driven now, just feel like it needs a little more tinkering
Old 06-12-2019, 06:05 AM   #4
jamieereynoldss

Drives: ZL1 1LE
No, I haven’t had one yet. Did you figure it out?
jamieereynoldss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
Blown1LE

No not yet, Idle still searches like crazy for a while even on a cold start and then it eventually levels out and is fine..
Old 06-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #6
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
With my new motor install, changed a lot of things from my previous tune. How I resolved the idle hunting was to add just a tad more Airflow Final Minimum (like 3-5%) and added more fuel in my VE table cells 50-60kPa at 800rpms (MAF is you're running that). The RPMs swings were coinciding with the O2 sensors so I figured it was something to do with fueling.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:36 PM   #7
Blown1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
With my new motor install, changed a lot of things from my previous tune. How I resolved the idle hunting was to add just a tad more Airflow Final Minimum (like 3-5%) and added more fuel in my VE table cells 50-60kPa at 800rpms (MAF is you're running that). The RPMs swings were coinciding with the O2 sensors so I figured it was something to do with fueling.
My tuner contacted me and said he wants to add more airlow so I will be going back next week
Old 06-14-2019, 04:08 PM   #8
eLeSthree

It’s very common to need more base Running airflow when u upgrade the cam, especially an aggressive one. But sometimes it takes a few tweaks to get it right. HPtuners is a great investment. It beats driving back to the tuner...

630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
Old 06-14-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
Blown1LE

Quote:
It’s very common to need more base Running airflow when u upgrade the cam, especially an aggressive one. But sometimes it takes a few tweaks to get it right. HPtuners is a great investment. It beats driving back to the tuner...
Yep. Debating whether to just go ahead and invest in HPtuners now as I’m sure it would pay off in the long run. I just know nothing about it at all so I don’t even know what I would need to buy. Do they ever run any promotions on it ?
Old 06-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #10
Blown1LE

The car keeps hitting a dead spot in any gear right around 2200 rpm, falls flat on its face then comes right back but only under light to moderate acceleration. Could this also be in the tune as I never experienced this before all the mods, I did replace the MAP sensor when I added the DSX aux pump and injectors but other than that everything else id the same, car runs super strong except right there at 2200-2500 rpm and it doesnt happen all the time but quite often
Old 06-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #11
eLeSthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown1LE View Post
The car keeps hitting a dead spot in any gear right around 2200 rpm, falls flat on its face then comes right back but only under light to moderate acceleration. Could this also be in the tune as I never experienced this before all the mods, I did replace the MAP sensor when I added the DSX aux pump and injectors but other than that everything else id the same, car runs super strong except right there at 2200-2500 rpm and it doesnt happen all the time but quite often
Which MAP sensor did you install?
When you switch to a ZL1 MAP sensor you have to change these tables in the tune.

Did you install this stuff after you got tuned? Or before?

It's hard to diagnose online, but it could be tune related.
Attached Images

630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
Old 06-19-2019, 02:17 PM   #12
Blown1LE

Quote:
Which MAP sensor did you install?
When you switch to a ZL1 MAP sensor you have to change these tables in the tune.

Did you install this stuff after you got tuned? Or before?

It's hard to diagnose online, but it could be tune related.
Its a 3 bar MAP that came with the DSX aux pump and it was put on before the tuning was done. The car runs really strong under load like I said but I will take it back to the tuner and have him scan over everything as he is very thorough, I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this