Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 11:32 PM   #57
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Drives: 1LE LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by idealer View Post
This statement is not always true. V8 does not always mean more expensive or better performance in its class just as this stats for Stingray and 911 shows.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-specs-page-4
I apologize I didn't realize we were comparing a V6 to a 911. Let me rephrase "buy whichever you want." But when it comes to CAMAROs that's how the trim works. Cheaper better on gas is the V6. More expensive higher trim is the V8. I've been one of the lucky few who've had both. I've loved both,raced both, washed both. I would much rather have a LS3 but that's my choice. This thread is pointless as it just bashes V6 guys. I loved my LFX it was a fun car that brought me into the car world. You ALWAYS remember your first.

Your link shows a car 2x the price running .1 faster on the 1/4th...dead even on 0-60...and .03 more G's average. FOR 2X the price. Now if I was to spend that kind of money hell I wouldn't want 8 cylinders I'd want 10. But I for sure wouldn't want 6 at that price.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:12 AM   #58
MikosV6
Account Suspended

Drives: '15 Camaro 1LS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueN20Camaro View Post
I apologize I didn't realize we were comparing a V6 to a 911. Let me rephrase "buy whichever you want." But when it comes to CAMAROs that's how the trim works. Cheaper better on gas is the V6. More expensive higher trim is the V8. I've been one of the lucky few who've had both. I've loved both,raced both, washed both. I would much rather have a LS3 but that's my choice. This thread is pointless as it just bashes V6 guys. I loved my LFX it was a fun car that brought me into the car world. You ALWAYS remember your first.

Your link shows a car 2x the price running .1 faster on the 1/4th...dead even on 0-60...and .03 more G's average. FOR 2X the price. Now if I was to spend that kind of money hell I wouldn't want 8 cylinders I'd want 10. But I for sure wouldn't want 6 at that price.
If you loved your LFX so much, why did you put "V6 delete" in your signature line?

I'll tell you one thing, I'm glad the new 6th gen LT1 is as fast as it is. It makes the 5th gen V8 owners feel like us V6er's when they brag about their performance metrics in the forums.

.9 to 1.2 seconds in the 1/4 mile is not that big of a deal for me. Now, if it was 2 to 3 seconds, then I'd be concerned. As it stands right now, I'd rather get better fuel economy in a lighter car with a more balanced chassis when it comes to handling.

If and when the need to go 1.2 seconds quicker in the 1/4 mile ever comes, I'll just get the Fabberge twin turbo kit and go 2.5 seconds quicker. With 10 more hp and 300lbs lighter, the 6th gen V6 is reported to pull mid 13's in the 1/4 and low to mid 5 sec 0-60's. Not too far off from what the 5th gen L99 cars are pulling.

I'm sure the same can be done with the 323 hp LFX in the 5th gen because we have a few dedicated members here who have done it. Once we get some good cam options, then the difference becomes even smaller. It's more fun being the underdog sometimes.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #59
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
1 - 1.5 seconds is huge at the track...huge. In the reallife it doesn't seem like much to most . The new camaro is a hard charger for sure. But the v8 5th Gen is a few mods away from that as well . Just look around on this site. You said to make up the power difference you could just turbo charge.This is true but let's not forget that the v8 guys have the same options the v6 guys have. Does the new camaro make me feel like the current v6 guys ? No. This will be the most posted claim now by v6 owners vs v8 guys... ..."the 6th Gen v8 will kick your 5th gens butt" It should this is true. But in no way shape or form does this make my car slow. Big torque ...good horsepower and imo solid handling still puts me ahead of many cars on the road. Im not upgrading everytime a new car comes out....that's why I bought exactly what I wanted. Your v6 is a good car...unfortunately we now have 2 more camaro models that beat it....see what I'm saying. Doesn't matter if you have a v6 or v8....it's tough when a new model of each comes out. Our cars are far from slow the v8 is alot more car then your giving it credit for.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:16 AM   #60
1Canuck

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
I have a fully loaded 2LT RS. when I compare it to the 2SS RS I find everything to be the same except under the hood, trans and diff.
I did not want the V8, my choice as it is the choice of those that do want it. I do not care if the V8 can out accelerate the V6 so aside from that, Go ahead, tell me what else I do not have.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #61
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Drives: 1LE LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikosV6 View Post
If you loved your LFX so much, why did you put "V6 delete" in your signature line?

I'll tell you one thing, I'm glad the new 6th gen LT1 is as fast as it is. It makes the 5th gen V8 owners feel like us V6er's when they brag about their performance metrics in the forums.

.9 to 1.2 seconds in the 1/4 mile is not that big of a deal for me. Now, if it was 2 to 3 seconds, then I'd be concerned. As it stands right now, I'd rather get better fuel economy in a lighter car with a more balanced chassis when it comes to handling.

If and when the need to go 1.2 seconds quicker in the 1/4 mile ever comes, I'll just get the Fabberge twin turbo kit and go 2.5 seconds quicker. With 10 more hp and 300lbs lighter, the 6th gen V6 is reported to pull mid 13's in the 1/4 and low to mid 5 sec 0-60's. Not too far off from what the 5th gen L99 cars are pulling.

I'm sure the same can be done with the 323 hp LFX in the 5th gen because we have a few dedicated members here who have done it. Once we get some good cam options, then the difference becomes even smaller. It's more fun being the underdog sometimes.
Test drive one
Old 01-09-2016, 12:14 PM   #62
idealer

Drives: 2015 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Canuck View Post
I have a fully loaded 2LT RS. when I compare it to the 2SS RS I find everything to be the same except under the hood, trans and diff.
I did not want the V8, my choice as it is the choice of those that do want it. I do not care if the V8 can out accelerate the V6 so aside from that, Go ahead, tell me what else I do not have.
Got a point there but except you are in the drag strip, that does not even matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueN20Camaro View Post
There you go! the key word is "spend" hence my point from the quote you referenced "Price is NOT ALWAYS a deciding factor on performance or the lack there off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
1 - 1.5 seconds is huge at the track...huge. In the reallife it doesn't seem like much to most . The new camaro is a hard charger for sure. But the v8 5th Gen is a few mods away from that as well . Just look around on this site. You said to make up the power difference you could just turbo charge.This is true but let's not forget that the v8 guys have the same options the v6 guys have. Does the new camaro make me feel like the current v6 guys ? No. This will be the most posted claim now by v6 owners vs v8 guys... ..."the 6th Gen v8 will kick your 5th gens butt" It should this is true. But in no way shape or form does this make my car slow. Big torque ...good horsepower and imo solid handling still puts me ahead of many cars on the road. Im not upgrading everytime a new car comes out....that's why I bought exactly what I wanted. Your v6 is a good car...unfortunately we now have 2 more camaro models that beat it....see what I'm saying. Doesn't matter if you have a v6 or v8....it's tough when a new model of each comes out. Our cars are far from slow the v8 is alot more car then your giving it credit for.
You know this thread and all the Camaro V6 vs V8 is just insane. Granted I was a novice in this whole muscle car thing when I bought mine and I still am to a very great extent. That said, there is no comparison if you ask me between a V6 and a V8. It all balls down to (1) preference (2) cost to include insuracne, fuel etc and (3)what you want the car for such as daily driver, hot rod, drag etc. For a lot of the V6 guys one or all of these 3 is usually the deciding factor. I said it before and I am saying it again, for what I want, my only regret with my V6 is that it is not a 4 cylinder. That is precisely what I wanted but could not wait for the 6th gen plus the talk of it being smaller at the time. That said please no one with a V6 or V8 should be angry about what I am about to say; "If you plan to drag race your Camaro and you are not driving a Z28 then excuse me dude or dudess, what is the point?" You did not get the ultimate bad-ass Camaro so it does not really matter how many cylinders you have. "The speed of the runaway camel counts for nothing". So my long story is; if I planned to drag or race with a Camaro, I would have bought the ultimate bad-ass but since I wanted a hot looking ride without all the hassles I opted for a V6. More like wearing a camouflage without all the shooting.. lol. Sure you can mod your way to a Z28 but who cares? if you were smart you should have started with the Z28 to start with.

In closing, for you young folks that might read this thread someday. Honestly just buy the lowest trim V8 or older model instead of the V6 (yes I said it) if you want to impress your male friends or that is what you want because except you keep away from forums like this, you will forever wonder why some people who drive practically almost the same car as you feel so high horsed. It does not matter so much outside forums like this because most of the time, the guy asking you if it is a V8 is still buying the fastest Camaro (he does not even know the model) in his dreams.

Waiting for glue to dry, fixing my pond so I had time on my hand..lol
Old 01-09-2016, 01:09 PM   #63
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealer View Post
Got a point there but except you are in the drag strip, that does not even matter

There you go! the key word is "spend" hence my point from the quote you referenced "Price is NOT ALWAYS a deciding factor on performance or the lack there off"

You know this thread and all the Camaro V6 vs V8 is just insane. Granted I was a novice in this whole muscle car thing when I bought mine and I still am to a very great extent. That said, there is no comparison if you ask me between a V6 and a V8. It all balls down to (1) preference (2) cost to include insuracne, fuel etc and (3)what you want the car for such as daily driver, hot rod, drag etc. For a lot of the V6 guys one or all of these 3 is usually the deciding factor. I said it before and I am saying it again, for what I want, my only regret with my V6 is that it is not a 4 cylinder. That is precisely what I wanted but could not wait for the 6th gen plus the talk of it being smaller at the time. That said please no one with a V6 or V8 should be angry about what I am about to say; "If you plan to drag race your Camaro and you are not driving a Z28 then excuse me dude or dudess, what is the point?" You did not get the ultimate bad-ass Camaro so it does not really matter how many cylinders you have. "The speed of the runaway camel counts for nothing". So my long story is; if I planned to drag or race with a Camaro, I would have bought the ultimate bad-ass but since I wanted a hot looking ride without all the hassles I opted for a V6. More like wearing a camouflage without all the shooting.. lol. Sure you can mod your way to a Z28 but who cares? if you were smart you should have started with the Z28 to start with.

In closing, for you young folks that might read this thread someday. Honestly just buy the lowest trim V8 or older model instead of the V6 (yes I said it) if you want to impress your male friends or that is what you want because except you keep away from forums like this, you will forever wonder why some people who drive practically almost the same car as you feel so high horsed. It does not matter so much outside forums like this because most of the time, the guy asking you if it is a V8 is still buying the fastest Camaro (he does not even know the model) in his dreams.

Waiting for glue to dry, fixing my pond so I had time on my hand..lol
After that post the glue must be dry by now. Some points I agree with you. I don't have the highest end camaro. But it's still a v8...and in current form it's alot of car.I do want to make myself clear...my car is not a daily driver...if it was I would have a v6. The z/28 imo is just to rare around where I live.....my car was $49000 new before taxes. I could go out today and hunt a z/28....even a used zl1. I just am finding the amount of money to aquire a car like that is off the chart's. I look at my car and think with some simple mods it's all the car I need. As you can see from this post price is a factor.....if I was to get a camaro today.....it would be a zl1, thats if i didn't al ready spend 35,000 used on my current car. But I'm happy with my car. My mods are simple yet effective....with 391 gears coming in the spring it will only get better. My car runs pretty good down the strip I just need more seat time. There are plenty of bad ass SS camaros running around. Just because you don't have a zl1 doesn't mean you can't have a nasty 1/4 mile SS.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:22 PM   #64
idealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
After that post the glue must be dry by now.
LOL Actually it is. I am on to another project and filling the pond up. But it is drizzling some light rain so I am back again at the keyboard.

By the way my post was not directed at you in particular. I quoted you because I agreed with some of the stuff you said such as the Camaro being a lot of car and the .1second stuff and so forth. But it is this "it is still a V8" bs that gets me. What if someone decided to drag and put a 911 engine in a V6 Camaro, would you still be singing it is still a V8 when you can't even see his brake light from the distance?

One thing I have never mentioned in this forum is that if the Camaro had a translucent hood, I will definitely be rocking the baddest engine I can buy. For me, it is all about the look. Otherwise, it is pointless here with the highest speed limit being 60 to 65MPH.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #65
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
LOL this lil chestnut is still going. The V6 guys always start these threads. And the V6 guys always end up angry at the end of them. No really I don't want a ZL1 or Z28. I wanted a LT.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #66
idealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
LOL this lil chestnut is still going. The V6 guys always start these threads. And the V6 guys always end up angry at the end of them. No really I don't want a ZL1 or Z28. I wanted a LT.
Ditto Maybe the V6 guys just wanted a V6
Old 01-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #67
rontammy0
Account Suspended

And it continues............
Old 01-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #68
Ides of March

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
V6 owner, no I'm not angry I don't have a V8. I really like my car for what it is, a Camaro which is what I wanted. If you can afford the V8 cool, I couldn't so I am happy with what I have. Nothing flashy at all lol but it looks cool and drives great.
I don't like the look of the 16 at all. So I'm gonna keep this one till the end probably.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #69
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
My wife liked our 2LT more than our 2SS. She likes the way it sounded and felt more than she does the 2SS. I drove the V6 a little harder than the V8 to get that feeling of acceleration. I think that's why she liked it more. The V8 gets up to speed so quick there isn't a lot of fan fare going on in street driving.

I love both. I absolutely enjoyed my V6 and I'm loving my V8. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #70
Redrocker1958
Obsessive camaro disorder

Drives: **2010 2ss/rs**
Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
V6 is way better.
Only in your wallet....

Closed Thread