Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Any accountants on the board?

Just curious if there are any accountants on the board? Considering taking a double major in accounting and was curious of some peoples general opinions on the major? I have some experience in the work right now but just considering options.
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
My Dad gets $300 hr, only did a 2yr at a community college.

But he focused on the software parts of it, why he gets the big bucks keeping their systems running, not really doing any accounting work / data entry.

His big money maker was knowing Novell NetWare inside and out from the early days.

None of the local colleges or school teach anything but MS products but guess what they all still use? Novell NetWare

Can't do accounting in a large places without file sharing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novell_NetWare
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Not sure exactly what you are looking for here, but having an accounting degree (in place of or in addition to another) is a boost for just about any career. Having a dual degree in accounting and say engineering/science will give you an edge in most corporate settings by giving you the specific technical knowledge of your field as well as having an understanding of how the company makes a profit and the rules and requirements for various regulatory compliance.

Another option that is VERY popular now and helps many on their promotion track would be to get an MBA instead (or in addition). Most corporations really like seeing initials at the end of folks names and while it may not be required for promotions, it tends to help break the way forward for advances.

I did not pursue CPA, CMA, CIA or any other certifications at the time I got my accounting degree. I didn't see that the certification actually demonstrates anything other than a dedication toward short term retention of knowledge and test taking abilities. The certifications generally don't give an indication as to how a person will be able to apply knowledge. That said, certifications tend to be a method used to filter applicants ... it may be a lazy method by the screeners, but it is the realities of the world and as such holds specific value.

My suggestion is adding the accounting degree, a masters, or an MBA as well as acquiring any applicable certifications (including technical certifications in the non-business degree) could be a significant help toward career advancement, provided that the cost is manageable and within reach.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have specific questions.
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
Raven

Drives: 2001 Z28
I do accounting, but do not have an accounting degree. I will tell you that even with the economy the way it is and has been, it was very challenging to find a good accounting temp a few months back when we needed one since all the good ones had jobs! I wouldn't even hesitate to add that to your major if you think you can swing it. Good luck!
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
mike25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnyaTek View Post
Not sure exactly what you are looking for here, but having an accounting degree (in place of or in addition to another) is a boost for just about any career. Having a dual degree in accounting and say engineering/science will give you an edge in most corporate settings by giving you the specific technical knowledge of your field as well as having an understanding of how the company makes a profit and the rules and requirements for various regulatory compliance.

Another option that is VERY popular now and helps many on their promotion track would be to get an MBA instead (or in addition). Most corporations really like seeing initials at the end of folks names and while it may not be required for promotions, it tends to help break the way forward for advances.

I did not pursue CPA, CMA, CIA or any other certifications at the time I got my accounting degree. I didn't see that the certification actually demonstrates
anything other than a dedication toward short term retention of knowledge and test taking abilities. The certifications generally don't give an indication as to how a person will be able to apply knowledge. That said, certifications tend to be a method used to filter applicants ... it may be a lazy method by the screeners, but it is the realities of the world and as such holds specific value.

My suggestion is adding the accounting degree, a masters, or an MBA as well as acquiring any applicable certifications (including technical certifications in the non-business degree) could be a significant help toward career advancement, provided that the cost is manageable and within reach.

Thank you for the offer! I'm sure I will have some..just trying to decide the best path. I want to do my CPA, and maybe some other certs as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
I do accounting, but do not have an accounting
degree. I will tell you that even with the economy the way it is and has been, it was very challenging to find a good accounting temp a few months back when we needed one since all the good ones had jobs! I wouldn't even hesitate to add that to your major if you think you can swing it. Good luck!
I'm sure I can do it..no doubt on that..I was generally just curious if it would be worth it. I'm planning to double major in business administration as well as accounting. I would like to then get my CPA and possibly work on my masters.

Mods:
Old 08-29-2011, 12:30 AM   #6
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike25 View Post
Just curious if there are any accountants on the board? Considering taking a double major in accounting and was curious of some peoples general opinions on the major? I have some experience in the work right now but just considering options.
I started my professional career as an accountant, but never was a CPA if that's what you're looking for.

Working in accounting in 80's led to me working a lot on PC problems which led to a career change into IT and eventually database programming which I do now. I do work for a company that does accounting software if that means anything

It's a good career. You probably won't make huge bucks, but you can do well for yourself. A good CPA can do quite well.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnyaTek View Post

I did not pursue CPA, CMA, CIA or any other certifications at the time I got my accounting degree. I didn't see that the certification actually demonstrates anything other than a dedication toward short term retention of knowledge and test taking abilities. The certifications generally don't give an indication as to how a person will be able to apply knowledge. That said, certifications tend to be a method used to filter applicants ... it may be a lazy method by the screeners, but it is the realities of the world and as such holds specific value.

I agree with this guy.

I got my BS in Accounting and have been working in accounting all my life. I did clerical work when I first started and now I have been transitioning more into finance(analytical work). I think it's a OK major to get into but I don't think you will be making the big bucks anytime soon. Actually now that I'm making my transition to finance, my pay got a bump too.

I actually studied for the CPA but at one point, I realized that this isn't something that I want to do for the rest of my life. So I pretty much gave up on that.

One thing that I realize in accounting on the lower level is that you really don't need a college degree. Yes, in certain aspects it HELPS you understand the fundamentals of what you are doing and how everything works. But that all can be taught on the job. You just need to be a detail oriented person and double check your work a lot.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Its a great way to go, the world always needs bean counters.. My wife started with an associate degeree and she is an exec now making 100k + and she is not a CPA.. She doesnt do taxes...hahahahaha
Makes me wish I had done the same....LOL
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
One of the bad thing is that everyone you know will try to get you to do their taxes LOL. I pretty much do the taxes for everyone I know unless they have some pretty technical stuff that I'm not familiar with so I don't want to fubar it up...and I do it for free.

From what I have seen, CPAs don't make THAT much money. I know quite a few and they make around 70-80k. For that type of schooling and dedication, I feel that the reward should be higher. I mean, we got a lot of other jobs out there that don't require half of what it takes to be a CPA yet they pay more. I guess it's the tried and true path in life so it has some security.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
mike25

I dont plan to solely get into the CPA field of accounting...im thinking more along the lines of tax/ auditing. Not sure what it all entails..but i know several students from my college graduated last semester with entry level jobs starting at 50-60k a year..so the moneys definitely there..just up to whoever to really delve into the market and do your best..i believe if you really try and do what you want..you will be no less than perfect at it.

Mods:
Old 09-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #11
Red Rocker
I can't drive 55!

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 CRT
I have a BS in Accounting and a MBA in Finance, Management (Entrepreneurship) & Marketing along with my CPA license in OH.

I've read some of the other posts and the best advice I can give you is to get your MS in Accountancy which is now required to take the CPA exam in most (if not all) states. If you want to double major as an undergrad, I'd suggest Finance or Entrepreneurship if your school offers either. Where do you go to school? Marshall? WVU?

If you want to get into Auditing/Tax then you want to get your CPA license and work for a Big 4 (Price Waterhouse Coopers, KPMG, Ernst & Young and Deloitte), a national firm (Grant Thornton, McGladrey, etc.) or a large regional firm.

When you take the CPA exam, I'd look at the requirements for any surrounding states (OH, PA, VA, MD, NC, KY) besides WV to make sure you can get reciprocity for that state if you pass the "quiz" in WV. Nowadays, most states have the same requirements unlike when I passed the exam back in '93.

Also, check the resources of the state society of CPAs:

www.wvscpa.org/students/
www.ohioscpa.com/Students.aspx

Or the state board of accountancy.

I would suggest trying to get a part-time job or internship at some point before graduation at a regional or large local CPA firm (at a minimum) which does audits. Not all CPA firms do audits because of the liability involved.

If you have any more questions, PM me.
Red Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote