Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
Exclamation MAJOR TRANSMISSION ISSUE, PLEASE HELP

Hey guys, bad news the car just developed a major issue. It's a 2011 v6 automatic. Went out to the store and it had one or two weird moments encaging the clutch. Small jumps forward but nothing violent. I parked and shopped for about 40 min came back and started the car. Kinda has a weird rattle I went to put it in reverse and it jumps back a few times trying to find the gear. I hit the break, try drive and it can't find it at all. Nothing pops up on my screen or any sign from the car that it is unhappy. I turn off the car and restart, it feels like it's not even trying to find a gear. I put it in neutral and rev quite high and I can feel something small happen. I put it back into reverse and it sort of jumps then finds it. I put it in drive and it finds it after a couple jumps. Once the car is in a gear it feels good. When I shift gears it struggles to find the next one and sometimes it can't find it at all. When coasting you can hear a small rattle from under the car.As a college student a transmission problem is my worst nightmare, they get expensive quick. Any and all thoughts are welcome. Any helpful advise is greatly appreciated. How screwed am I?

Last edited by TheGhosty; 10-24-2014 at 03:24 PM.
TheGhosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
garyw

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS
clutch is what it sounds like.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
The first thing I would check is the trasmission fluid level. I don't recall if the V6 A6 includes a dipstick or not. Low fluid can make an automatic transmission do strange things.

The car comes with a 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty and a 5yr/100k powertrain warranty standard. If your car is still within the drivetrain warranty then it might be time to contact a dealer to have them look at it. It might not cost you anything to get fixed.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
TheGhosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
The first thing I would check is the trasmission fluid level. I don't recall if the V6 A6 includes a dipstick or not. Low fluid can make an automatic transmission do strange things.

The car comes with a 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty and a 5yr/100k powertrain warranty standard. If your car is still within the drivetrain warranty then it might be time to contact a dealer to have them look at it. It might not cost you anything to get fixed.
great advice. Unfortunately you cannot check the trasmission fluid level in this car.

A warranty repair would be incredible, I am not looking forward to the fight the dealership will put up..
Old 10-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Unless you have modded the car you have a 100K mile 5 year warranty. Have it towed to dealer and fixed. If modded warranty is voided and you might have a 3-4K repair on your hands.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
garyw

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS
I just saw it as an auto, my bad, u kept saying shifting it so i was thinking manual
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Its most likely low on fluid.
I believe there are aftermarket pans that are available a dipstick now.

When you take it to the stealership, they will give you some BS about how a machine checks the fluid, and swaps out the fluid to the correct level, they wont top it off.
they will nab you for 170 bucks most likely.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
TheGhosty

Got the car back today. The whole transmission had to be replaced. The car only had 50k on it. I was able to get it replaced under warranty which was a struggle. But now the car feels better then ever. Honestly makes me want to buy another chevy, this 100k mile warranty just saved my ass.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhosty View Post
Got the car back today. The whole transmission had to be replaced. The car only had 50k on it. I was able to get it replaced under warranty which was a struggle. But now the car feels better then ever. Honestly makes me want to buy another chevy, this 100k mile warranty just saved my a--
TheGhosty,

Thanks for your update! It's great to hear that the dealer addressed your transmission concerns and now service is complete. Please let us know how the vehicle operates moving forward and don't hesitate to message us if any additional questions arise.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, transmission, trifecta