Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-05-2023, 12:45 PM   #1
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
LSA - 8 rib belt slapping!

I use a LSX conversion for my LSA on LS3 block. I have been using a 6 rib belt and a ZL1 lower. I had to install a 220amp alternator, so I thought it was time to convert to 8 rib.

I bought all of the 8 rib pulleys from West Innovators and retained my LSX kit. Everything installed nicely. I started her up and at first it sounded great. So I went inside before taking her for a drive. When I came out there was a loud knock sound and I panicked and shut her down. Then I tried to start her back up and she didn’t want to start. I kept trying, plenty of juice, she just didn’t want to turn over. This is issue #1.

Finally she sluggishly start and ran. I opened the hood to inspect the knocking and I noticed around the crank pulley it was sloppy and the edge of the brand new belt was already worn. I think the knock is actually the belt slapping the crank pulley. Issue #2.

On install I cracked the pigtail for the oil temp sensor, I don’t think this is the source of my issues, but I include it in case it might.

Issue 1, I installed a 0 gauge power wire to the alternator. I clipped out the old alternator wire but left the power wire that runs over by the starter. When I bolted down the power wire to the alternator I just put the old ring with the other power wire on top of it. I used a 0 gauge ground wire from the alternator to the frame. I added a 2 gauge ground wire to the drivers side engine block to the chassis just for added ground. Didn’t add any other wires. Started up the first time with little hesitation. I don’t know?

Issue #2, I noticed the new pulleys are slightly out of line with the upper pulley, and the crank pulley. I might be able to align them with a slimmer shim; but I think the only problem the alignment of the belt is causing is the wear on the edge. The new 8 rib belt is slightly smaller than my old one, I had to adjust the tensioner to get it to fit. The tensioner is almost all the way pushed in, and it is bouncing slightly when running. The lower crank also looks like it wobbles, but it always looked like this. Engine runs smooth when all of this mess isn’t happening. One other detail, the new alternator came with a 6 rib ADP pulley, I swapped it with the Innovators West 8 rib, which is not an ADP. The OEM isn’t an ADP, but since this is a change I am mentioning it.

The belt is a Gates RPM. The alternator is a Powermaster. All good parts.

My next upgrade is a ATI 10% harmonic balancer and 2.55 upper pulley. I don’t know if doing that now will help fix my current issue. Or if getting a bigger belt to let the tensioner go back to a fuller release would fix this. Tomorrow going to try my 6 rib belt on there just to be able to drive. But I need to fix this fast, this is my DD.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.

Last edited by Valkyrie14; 03-05-2023 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Forgot a detail.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:47 AM   #2
Bartbart

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Need a super tensioner
Bartbart is offline   Reply With Quote