Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #29
69bossnine
Banned

Drives: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
All those issues you described come from using a sub par painter...

1. You won't find anything but sub-par painters doing factory and dealership work.

2. You still can't REPLICATE factory paint without disassembling most of the car... Least not if you're going to do it right, and as-factory.

3. No matter how beautiful the job, a repaint diminishes value. Unless it's completely undectable and you don't tell the buyer (which is unethical)

I collect cars, I know good paint.
69bossnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #30
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Diminished value of a car I intend to keep for the rest of my life. Lol. Skip replicating factory paint and go for a step above. Yeah I've got chips all down my gills, and a good mark on the bumper, but its a car, I drive it every day and keep it as clean and polished as I can. I would WAY rather have a deep well done custom paint that diminishes the value of a camaro LOL, then a redo of the lovely thin eco coat that holds the value of a $30k sports car.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #31
Mr. Unassailable

Drives: 2010 2SS MT, 2010 SHO, 2004 S60R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
1. You won't find anything but sub-par painters doing factory and dealership work.

2. You still can't REPLICATE factory paint without disassembling most of the car... Least not if you're going to do it right, and as-factory.

3. No matter how beautiful the job, a repaint diminishes value. Unless it's completely undectable and you don't tell the buyer (which is unethical)

I collect cars, I know good paint.
I can agree with 2 and 3 (3 only if you are respraying to repair very minor stuff). I would not let my dealer paint my car though. The person you originally replied to said

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
Bottom line-- If the paint was as bad (or worse) than the G8 GT that I had, I can see bailing out on the car before it got so bad, that he would have had to invest several thousand dollars into a paint job, just to make it remotely close to bringing market value price.
He was not referencing a dealer respray, he said a "several thousand" dollar job. That's pretty vague, but for $5k you can get a damn good job done that will increase the value of your car if it is full of rock chips on the hood and front facia. It won't return $5k, not ever. But it won't lower the value,

Sent from my iPhone
Old 05-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #32
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Hey pretty cool! You traded your car in because you worried about paint problems...... Now the only thing you have to worry about is the #8 piston breaking. Pretty good trade off if you ask me!

2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #33
Bumblebee2012

Drives: 2012 2SS TF3, 1971 Chevelle
My 2012 2SS TF3 car has 1,500 miles on it and is garaged, never seen rain, and chipping to hell and back. I'm extremely unhappy with the lack of quality on the paint of my $44,000 new car.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Bumblebee2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #34
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
We can agree to disagree I suppose :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
You must not know much about paint, car values, and the instrinsic value and quality of factory paint.

A "repaint" would be WORSE than poor-quality factory paint, and would totally screw the value of his relatively new car. Mask lines in all the jambs, overspray down inside every panel gap, and all over the underside of the car, if they skimp on the sanding/prep you get adhesion issues down the road, potential fish-eyes, dirt in the paint, sanding marks under the paint, inconsistent texture and orange peel, and on and on and on...

Having a dealer repaint your car is NOT fixing a factory paint job. The only real fix is getting a replacement car with good factory paint, or ditching the car for a fair price given the pro-rated service its already provided you.

Factory paint is applied by robots, in atmospherically-maintained-optimal conditions, in clean-rooms that are more dust-free than a surgery ward.

Dealer re-paints are done by Bubba, in the dealer's old poorly-maintained beat to hell booth, weather be damned...

Asking GM to re-paint your car is asking to take a bad situation, and make it five times shittier.
I'm not a professional automobile painter, but I do have two friends who are. I do know that you get what you pay for. If you go to Maaco and get a 500 dollar paint job, it is going to look way worse than a factory paint job (stating the obvious, I know) But I also know, and have personally seen cars get repainted (usually custom / color change) and the high dollar, paint job came out looking superior to the factory paint. GM/ Ford/ Audi/ Honda, etc.. Haven't somehow created a superior painting process. An "aftermarket" paint job can often times be way better than a factory paint. Especially when you can specifically request a thicker paint job, more clear coat. Where as you get what you get with the factory paint job.. And as the G8 crowd learned. Sometimes you get crap.

Keep in mind the problem wasn't just one's and twosie's with the G8 crowd, It was pretty much a common complaint. The painting process, thickness, what-have-you was a sub par coming out on the G8s.

I don't want to get in a pissing match with you, or anyone else on here. I am just stating that "IF" the paint was as bad on his Camaro, as it was on many of the G8s. That getting away from the car, before it became a resale problem was a smart thing. I won't pretend to know how bad this guy's paint was. Obviously the dealership he traded it in at, didn't mark him down too much for it, because it still brought nearly 30K for his trade.

PPS I just traded in a 2008 Mustang GT for the 2012 GT, and that 08 had new paint on the roof, hood, right front fender, and rear deck lid (all because of massive hail storm). It had 84K miles on it, and the dealership gave me over Excellent Trade in value on KBB for it. While I do realize that "trade in value" is pretty much whole sale value, I was given a HIGHER value, and my car had tons of aftermarket paint on it. So, It appears that particular dealership didn't knock me down all for having aftermarket paint.

PPPS (sorry, tons of after thoughts)-- I had my 2004 Yamaha YZF-R6 custom painted by one of the above mentioned friends. Somehow "bubba" in his nasty dust filled garbage bin of a paint booth, made it look MUCH better than the factory paint job. (Yes that alittle sarcasm and snarkiness, but only a little.) I'm honestly completely okay with you disagreeing with me, I have my experiences with aftermarket paint and you have yours. But its going to be very hard to convince me that aftermarket paint is inferior to the robots over at GM. Especially since those robots don't take special orders, "Bubba" does. Bubba will also redo any F ups he makes, once said car leaves the factory, Good luck getting GM to send it back to that Robot to "fix" the thin paint issue.

jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #35
69bossnine
Banned

Drives: various
I understand that there are people (and people at dealerships) that either can't recognize partial or full re-paints, or don't have standards high enough to care.

I also understand that you can repaint a car to where the outside finish is like glass, blocked smooth, superior-appearing to factory. That takes both man-hours and talent. But it still doesn't speak much to all of the cut-lines in all jambs, under-hood, cowl, underneath, etc, which REALLY takes some extra effort, disassembly and hours to mitigate.

But fact is that these days the costs of high-quality materials has gone through the roof. You say you can get a great job for $5K. I'd wager that by the time you got through paying for the materials, you only left enough cash left over for 40-60 hours of labor... That's not going to get you there, not if you're doing it right and removing everything rather than masking around all of the windows and components.

I'll admit, it's all about standards. For me, I want my car in factory paint, and I generally keep ALL my cars forever (I rarely sell/trade, I just retire). When I buy new, I shouldn't have to load another $7K into the paint job, and I'm not going to engage the manufacturer, because there's no reason that they'll EVER let me choose my own shop and pay the bill to meet my standard.

My basic point was, suggesting to someone randomly online that because they have some oddball spots or issues with their paint that they should "demand it be repainted" is going to send that person down a path of despair 9 times out of 10 (and that's conservative). In the factory, the cars are painted as bare shells, and then assembled. There's an enormous intrinsic quality to that, regardless of how you see the car looking at it from the outside, and regardless of how slick your paint guy is.

That's my point. If you're keeping your car forever, and you plan on doing some custom deal or whatever, that's a totally different subject for a different day.

When my friend almost totalled my 1993 Corvette when it was only 8 months old, I chose the repair shop, and I tossed enough extra money on top of the insurance to receive a concours-worthy paint job. Car was black. Parked next to a factory-new black Corvette, my car looked like it had been dipped in wet ink. But it was still damaged-goods, I never got over that... I sold it eventually.
69bossnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #36
Lou_Dorchen

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
Hey pretty cool! You traded your car in because you worried about paint problems...... Now the only thing you have to worry about is the #8 piston breaking. Pretty good trade off if you ask me!
I don't believe that has happened an untuned 5.0. And even if did happen to an untuned car, Ford would replace the engine.
Lou_Dorchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #37
Xorak

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Dorchen View Post
I don't believe that has happened an untuned 5.0. And even if did happen to an untuned car, Ford would replace the engine.
finding proof that it happened to a stock 5.0 and was covered under warranty is like finding good pictures of Sasquatch.
Xorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #38
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
I would take an engine replacement over bad paint any day of the week.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #39
Witt
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: Locomotives
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm2092 View Post
Im sure I'll get a bashing for this post but oh we'll, today I traded my 2SS in for a new 5.0 Mustang, I got $29900 for my Camaro. The reason for this is the crap paint job these car have, every time I wash my car I find more little primer spots on the hood and doors and rear quarters anyways now I don't hav e to worry how my paint will look like a year from now ?
Congrats on your purchase.

I know what you mean about the GM paint, I've owned several different late model GM cars recently and dealt with the same issue.

This is my second Mustang, I've never had chipping issues with either but my black '09 that I used to have used to have would show swirl marks on any painted non-plastic surfaces no matter how careful I was in washing it. My '11 doesn't have that problem at all.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #40
peteypab2133

Drives: Mitsu EVO / 3 series
I have a 2003 cavalier with 77,542 miles on it, and literally ALL the paint on my hood is chipping too. GM paint is iffy it appears
peteypab2133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #41
Lou_Dorchen

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorak View Post
finding proof that it happened to a stock 5.0 and was covered under warranty is like finding good pictures of Sasquatch.
So I have to prove a negative?

If you can show it's happened to a stock 5.0, do so. But don't say you know it's happened, but you just can't provide proof it has.
Lou_Dorchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #42
Xorak

Drives: ...
Quote:
So I have to prove a negative?

If you can show it's happened to a stock 5.0, do so. But don't say you know it's happened, but you just can't provide proof it has.

everybody's so defensive on these forums...

FYI, i was agreeing with you.. lol... go back and re-read my post.
Xorak is offline   Reply With Quote