Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 04-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
Vette TPI

Drives: 1987 Corvette TPI
How strong will this hold?

Will this be sufficient enough to hold my vehicle? I've thought and planned this out a thousand times. My design comes from others who have tried. There is this and this. I added extra diagonal bracing's and then triangular bracing on front, plus the ramps being on the back of the lift. Will this suffice and be safe enough for exhaust, oil/trans oil change? It should be 16" off the ground. I know many will not think this is safe, but it's honestly better than the above links.

P.S. there would be 280 square inches of contact patch to the 2x12's, with all the verticle and diagonal bracing.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
sene

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LS
Only one way to find out...
sene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Looks good to me, but it seems like a lot of work compared to using a jack and 4 jack stands.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Honestly, I wouldn't do it. Why risk your life to save a few dollars?

I was going to suggest getting a KwikLift instead but it looks like they didn't survive the economic downturn and went out of business a couple of months ago. Too bad, since they actually had a decent alternative to a 2 or 4 post lift.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Synner

Drives: cars
A 2x12 shouldn't be used for the vertical members, thats where the 4x4 or 6x6 should be used. A 2x12 isn't strong in the direction you were planning on using it. Lateral bracing can be made from 2x6, not 4x4. It should only be providing bracing in a single direction so square lumber isn't necessary if you design it properly.

Its tough to understand the drawing for what you're planning. Its possible to do this safely but I can't tell if your specific plans are. The fact that you're using incorrect dimensions for support pieces I'd say "contact a professional before proceeding."
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Your gonna use wood?????
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Vette TPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sene View Post
Only one way to find out...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Looks good to me, but it seems like a lot of work compared to using a jack and 4 jack stands.
I know this is wood but just seems better the weight more spread out instead contact patch to the ground vs Jack stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't do it. Why risk your life to save a few dollars?

I was going to suggest getting a KwikLift instead but it looks like they didn't survive the economic downturn and went out of business a couple of months ago. Too bad, since they actually had a decent alternative to a 2 or 4 post lift.
I really want one of those after seeing one! Thank you for your advice. Is there anything similar with only this height? I don't have a lot of money or space for something bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
A 2x12 shouldn't be used for the vertical members, thats where the 4x4 or 6x6 should be used. A 2x12 isn't strong in the direction you were planning on using it. Lateral bracing can be made from 2x6, not 4x4. It should only be providing bracing in a single direction so square lumber isn't necessary if you design it properly.

Its tough to understand the drawing for what you're planning. Its possible to do this safely but I can't tell if your specific plans are. The fact that you're using incorrect dimensions for support pieces I'd say "contact a professional before proceeding."
It's basically exactly the first mustang thread but with 4x4 s in each section diagonally. It's exactly why I came out here. To hopefully find something better or safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
Your gonna use wood?????
haha yeah. I can't weld at all or find something of significant other.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette TPI View Post
I really want one of those after seeing one! Thank you for your advice. Is there anything similar with only this height? I don't have a lot of money or space for something bigger...
Used Kwiklifts pop up from time to time on craigslist and car forum classifieds (check Corvette forums, they tend to like them). As far as alternatives, I'm sure that there is something similar out there, just haven't seen or heard of one yet.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
Vette TPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Used Kwiklifts pop up from time to time on craigslist and car forum classifieds (check Corvette forums, they tend to like them). As far as alternatives, I'm sure that there is something similar out there, just haven't seen or heard of one yet.
I'll have to look for them! I'm in need of one!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
instead of all that fancy stuff, you could just lay out some long pieces of 2x12's stacked on top of each other for the whole thing. Not fancy and definately not light, but would be much stronger and safer ( and I bet not too expensive).
Old 04-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
Vette TPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
instead of all that fancy stuff, you could just lay out some long pieces of 2x12's stacked on top of each other for the whole thing. Not fancy and definately not light, but would be much stronger and safer ( and I bet not too expensive).
oh #*@$ probably cost the same as buying all that wood too. So need to buy sixteen 2x12 boards.. Thanks
Old 04-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
Synner

Drives: cars
http://www.derekweaver.com/update/W-...uct.aspx?id=61

I clicked on the link, the ramp portion is a death trap with no lateral bracing. They were using the plywood as lateral bracing where the car is. A boxed 2x12 frame would be way safer.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #13
knitetrain05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary Edi
Thats not at all a good idea.You better think out what your really doing here. Really think.
knitetrain05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #14
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
So how are you going to get it up onto that truss system?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote