Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Camaro5 members take over FONTANA.

Awhile back i started to organize a 1LE track day in that section of the forum with Speedventures. We had 6 but 3 had other commitments, invited a local guy but he decided to run autocross instead. We had 3 LE's, two ZL1's, and a couple SS's, and a couple RS's. Eleven Camaro's total, 10 are C5 members, quite a sight.

Last year sometime at one of the car shows i meet Redbolt(Byron)he has a ZL1, and my 1LE was the 1st he had seen,so obviously we started talking. He noticed my harness/belt set up and asked whats up. I told him what i do, and he needs to get that ZL1 on track. I was asked if i would like to join the Inland Empire Camaro Club, and of course i did.

When Redbolt drove up his wife got out of the car and said so i have you to thank for ALL this, we smiled then she says she hated me, she was only joking, and a very funny moment.I have only been able to make a couple of the events as im always working, but at one we all talked about doing a track day, well long story short that was yesterday. IECC glad you guy's showed up

Im sure most know by now i used to race bikes, and both Fontana and Willow springs are my home track, so you could say i know them intimately. My best time in my 1LE was 2:00, which is very fast, i so wanted to break that barrier, well i shattered it with a 1:54.628 http://www.speedventures.com/results/Default.aspx I was 7th fastest of the day,but everyone in front wasn't in a "STOCK" car(except 1 Z-06) their all in race cars.

I knew there was no way i could improve my time in the infield as im as fast as you can go through there, i knew i had to let her fly through the banking. I usually run around 115 through there, but i ran around 130 mph. When i looked at my times i would have been just fine seeing a 1:58, but when i saw the 1:54 i was blown away. When you consider a stock(except CAI)2013 1LE can do this, well that's pretty cool.
I recently installed the Quantum brake cooling system, and had something to compare it to. With 2 1LE's right off track our rotors should basically be identical KRich2587 were in the 700 degree area mine were in the 500 range so it definitely works.

The 1st video is session #1 and the 2nd is part #2 of the 1st session.This was my fastest session of the day.In the 2nd session 3rd video after i dispose of the BMW im in the hunt for that yellow Vette, and at 2:43 i lose all that i worked for as i got sideways. I reeled him back in and at 5:10 of the video he bottoms out is splitter and it explodes all over, i had to dodge flying pieces. I didn't know what it was at the time. In the Mazda right in front of me when the splitter explodes is 1LE site member Balue, riding with his brother.

The 3rd video was fun as i got to pass a bunch of people, now this is the advanced group and open passing/race like conditions exist that i was running all day. There was a Z-06 slowly catching me, and at 12:04 with his superior power makes his pass. From this point on the video is really good as were going at it, and the footage is awesome. At around 14:45 you will see a huge pass under him on the banking around 135 mph, and then at 15:18 i throw it away again and cant get stopped. I drove straight to his pit after the session to let him know i wasn't trying to dive bomb him. I thought his wife was going to kiss me she was so happy, and we all said what a *ucking rush that was. In the download meeting they asked what i had in my 1LE and i said bone stock, they were blown away, and in front of everyone said man this guy can drive, that was very cool to hear.

The 4th video is just for fun, i wanted to get the camera as close to the wall at speed thought it would look cool, and it does.

In this video site member KRich2587 and i were in the same garage and thought how cool to shoot video of 2 1LE's running together. We were only probably running at 80% as we were shooting video not going for lap times. You will see Boss 302 pass us, he probably thinks he passed 2 LE's...believe me he didn't. Hopefully someone here(Norm Peterson )can bust his bubble. KRich2587's 1LE has a cam, headers, no cat's and a tune, and is putting down some serious HP. His 1st time there and he is putting down 1:56, and im 1:54, believe me that Boss didn't pass us.

The last video is side by side NPP, one stock and one not.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Wow looks like a great day. Video was really good thanks for sharing!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
cornerspeed92

My pleasure,glad you enjoyed.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
Balue

Drives: 2013 SW 2SS/1LE
Here is a link to the pics i took. Lots are close to the same shots! hahaha

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/y2dyfifrkhb40c7/1cKVUjZjcx
Balue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balue View Post
Here is a link to the pics i took. Lots are close to the same shots! hahaha

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/y2dyfifrkhb40c7/1cKVUjZjcx
That's cause we were next to each other
I know you wanted to ride with me, and i know i tried, but timing wasn't on our side, guess we'll have to do this again
Old 05-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #6
Balue

Drives: 2013 SW 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
he bottoms out is splitter and it explodes all over, i had to dodge flying pieces. I didn't know what it was at the time. In the Mazda right in front of me when the splitter explodes is 1LE site member Balue, riding with his brother.
You should have seen this from our position! Good thing it was only splitter and not some heavy metal pieces!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
That's cause we were next to each other
I know you wanted to ride with me, and i know i tried, but timing wasn't on our side, guess we'll have to do this again
Yeah didn't work out that day but for sure again! I am shooting for the sub 2:00. Will take you up on that ride then so I can find me some time.
Balue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #7

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Mark, great vids...Thanks for setting this up....Will do it again next time...Had a blast...my best was a 2:05....I love that track...

Tom
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
cornerspeed92

Hey Tom, thanks, yeah it was quite a blast. Cool your running Spring mountian, please let us know how it goes. My main goal this year is to run Miller motorsports complex. Can you believe the front stretch is like a mile long
Old 05-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #9
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balue View Post
You should have seen this from our position! Good thing it was only splitter and not some heavy metal pieces!

Yeah didn't work out that day but for sure again! I am shooting for the sub 2:00. Will take you up on that ride then so I can find me some time.
I have the time, but with my instructing duties, and you having to be in the blue group it just didn't work. Next time you wont be in that group, so there wont be any time restraints, and we'll rock the place again
Old 05-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #10
Jenner

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
Looks like a lot if fun. I've only done auto, but definitely want to try this soon!
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #11
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
Looks like a lot if fun. I've only done auto, but definitely want to try this soon!
Then your up for the next one?
Old 05-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
KRich2587

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1LE
What a blast that was and that track cause me issues I never had on any other track. I almost overheated and I truly see the need for an oil cooler after that. I ran chuckwalla same setup no issues. I had noise from my bushings overheated so I was glad I got my 1:56.098 before all that I spoke with Ryne @ CMS and I'll be installing a huge oil cooler and a lower temp tstat which should take care of these issues on a track like Fontana. Overall it was an amazing weekend I caught a Porsche GT3 and a Nissan GTR in the turns!!! I couldn't be happier and it was an amazing turnout!!
KRich2587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #13
cornerspeed92

Hey Kirk, was the overheating because of the mod's you did?
Old 05-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #14
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Great videos Cornerspeed !! Way to represent the Camaros , beating on stangs and ricers and beamers are great , The only thing that saved that Vette was his speed in the straights , You hammered him hard in the turns and he could not keep you off him . Thanks for posting
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote