Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #1
jravenfan

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic
should I be happy or concerned catch can

So I installed the Elite E2 Catch can after my supper charger install. I did not have a catch can previously.
Checked after 500 miles only a few drops, checked today after an additional 1100 miles and only a little (see pic).
Should I be happy that not that much oil is there or concerned that it's not working correctly. Looking at some catch can vids on youtube they seem to catch a lot more.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Not sure how much is typical or what "should be", but in my case I go 6000 - 7000 km (say 4000 miles) between oil changes (I just go by the oil life meter from the car) and always fill about 20 - 25% of the E2 can. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic, if that makes any difference.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #3
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
OP: You have a V8, what you are seeing is normal & why a catch can isn't as needed as it is on the V6s.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:28 PM   #4
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Looks like condensation

I got a milky texture in mine back when I had it, unless you have blowby the only thing your elite can will catch is condensation from the V8

Perfectly normal and seems like your can is doing it's job!
Old 10-10-2018, 08:57 AM   #5
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I only had a little bit like yours when I had my '11 SS. Seems your rings are sealing very well and as others have stated you're catching the oily condensation.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:58 AM   #6
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
For some reason I seem to get a lot more in the catch can on my truck (5.7L Hemi) than I do in my car.
LSA Blower w/ 2.45 Griptec, Reinforced Brick, FIC 1000 injectors, JRE FPCM, LFP Dual Pass HX, ZL1 IC pump, RotoFab CAI, Bo White TB, Coated Stainless Power 1-7/8" LTs, NPP, NGK TR7IX, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, AEM X-Series WB, Aeroforce Interceptor, MGW Shifter, Z28 Grill, Gary's Custom ZL1 Rockers, Hero Tails, Tuned by IMC
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:38 PM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Having had a supercharger install you should have been directed to use the right routing of the hoses and couple check valves because your FI which may affect how much you get. For me N/A I may get a ounce per 5k oil change with my Driven racing ls30 oil in my Elite catch can and my rings are sealed well along with my heads...I have a engine with 15 K or so on it , not the original either......And yes it was broken in right as was the CAM. Your check valves should stop more oil flow than a unchecked catch can system IMO.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:44 PM   #8
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
For some reason I seem to get a lot more in the catch can on my truck (5.7L Hemi) than I do in my car.
Do those 5.7's burn any oil?
Old 10-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #9
jravenfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Having had a supercharger install you should have been directed to use the right routing of the hoses and couple check valves because your FI which may affect how much you get. For me N/A I may get a ounce per 5k oil change with my Driven racing ls30 oil in my Elite catch can and my rings are sealed well along with my heads...I have a engine with 15 K or so on it , not the original either......And yes it was broken in right as was the CAM. Your check valves should stop more oil flow than a unchecked catch can system IMO.
I have the check valves and it's routed correctly.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:33 AM   #10
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post
Do those 5.7's burn any oil?
Nope, not mine anyway. I change it every 5k miles and it's always at the same level.
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #11
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Can you send us or post pictures of your hose routing? If rings are seated real well that may be normal, but lets see how it is routed and we can advise.

Thanks!

Tech@EliteEngineeringUSA.com

Sales@EliteEngineeringUSA.com

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #12
jravenfan

I color coded it: it's an L99
Red line from rear of Drivers side valve cover to center of can.
Yellow line from can to vacuum barb on Supercharger with check valve flowing away from can

Green line from can to just in front of throttle body with check valve flowing away from can

Blue line from clean side separator to intake tube.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2018, 08:39 AM   #13
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Frankly his catch can looks suspiciously like a Styrofoam cup with a zip tie in it to me.....lol
Old 10-14-2018, 11:00 PM   #14
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Frankly his catch can looks suspiciously like a Styrofoam cup with a zip tie in it to me.....lol
That's called the hardcore "ghetto style" catch can mod.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote