Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-21-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
cabbe

Drives: 2014 2ss 1le
is the warranty valid if I do my own oil changes?

I have a 2014 ss and noticed yesterday that it had dripped a little bit of oil on my garage floor. I have not taken the car to the dealer for the oil changes. Will they still honor the engine warranty? Wasn't it 5 years or 36k miles? I'm right at 21k.
cabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:40 PM   #2
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
bumper to bumper is usually 3 years 36k, powertrain was 5yr 100k.

While my car is under warranty and I do my own oil changes, I keep records in a book, with receipts (showing Wix filters and Mobil 1 and dates). It's just for my own peace of mind, but I'm meticulous with that stuff.

This is the book I have in each car: https://www.amazon.com/GLANCE-Mileag...C6QW9VYB9GEQ7W

Although I've never had to warranty an engine on my cars.

ChibiBlackSheep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:29 PM   #3
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
For oil leaks I don't ask for proof of oil changes. If you have an engine failure I will. Keep receipts for all the oil and filters you have done and keep a log of what mileage you changed it.

Last edited by JerTM; 02-21-2017 at 05:02 PM.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #4
cabbe

They wont give me any trouble because of my CAI right?
Old 02-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
JerTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbe View Post
They wont give me any trouble because of my CAI right?
I wouldn't. GM warranty has to prove whatever modification you have done caused the issue. It would be impossible to say that an intake caused an oil leak.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:07 PM   #6
cabbe

Alright, great!

I'll call them tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #7
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I wouldn't. GM warranty has to prove whatever modification you have done caused the issue. It would be impossible to say that an intake caused an oil leak.
Unrelated to the issue at hand, GM can and has before denied warranty claims to the smallest modifications out there.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #8
JerTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
Unrelated to the issue at hand, GM can and has before denied warranty claims to the smallest modifications out there.
This is true. The tech got carried away, and messed it all up. The reason they get away with it is because it would cost a lot of money up front to fight the claim. Ultimately in court if you can have an expert show a modification could not have caused the concern you can get it covered and any legal fees. But lets be honest, that's a huge pain in the rear so it's really not worth it. I try to be understanding when it comes to modified cars, as most techs need to be. If you lift your truck and get pissed because you keep going through u-joints it's your own fault. I will warranty the first u-joint in the off chance it was a defective part but once it does it again it's on your dime. If I were to tear down an engine for oil consumption and find the cylinder walls sand blasted and you had any type of oiled air filter I would deny warranty but it's not possible it caused an oil leak so I just repair the oil leak and keep a happy customer. I also wouldn't expect GM to foot the bill for a blown engine that has been modified with a cam or tuned. It's a pay to play sport, if you can't afford to fix anything on the car, don't modify it. My suggestion is to get to know the techs, find a common ground and be nice.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:20 PM   #9
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
This is true. The tech got carried away, and messed it all up. My suggestion is to get to know the techs, find a common ground and be nice.
lol you knew exactly what I was talking about huh? The dude that got fukt over by GM with the ****ing catch can out of all things? ...

But I agree, cold air intake and maybe a catback, most dealerships look the other way. If you start talking headers and tune, put your money on them saying "Nahhh not my problem!"
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:42 PM   #10
94z28inok
Camaro- Life Member

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS/RS, 19 Tahoe
Send a message via Yahoo to 94z28inok
Not to thread jack, but since you are in the position you are I have a quick question for you. Would I have any chance getting a moisture filled headlight with a blown ballast covered or partially covered at 41K miles on my 14? Or should I just suck it up and spend the money? Never know if you dont ask, right?

Quote:
This is true. The tech got carried away, and messed it all up. The reason they get away with it is because it would cost a lot of money up front to fight the claim. Ultimately in court if you can have an expert show a modification could not have caused the concern you can get it covered and any legal fees. But lets be honest, that's a huge pain in the rear so it's really not worth it. I try to be understanding when it comes to modified cars, as most techs need to be. If you lift your truck and get pissed because you keep going through u-joints it's your own fault. I will warranty the first u-joint in the off chance it was a defective part but once it does it again it's on your dime. If I were to tear down an engine for oil consumption and find the cylinder walls sand blasted and you had any type of oiled air filter I would deny warranty but it's not possible it caused an oil leak so I just repair the oil leak and keep a happy customer. I also wouldn't expect GM to foot the bill for a blown engine that has been modified with a cam or tuned. It's a pay to play sport, if you can't afford to fix anything on the car, don't modify it. My suggestion is to get to know the techs, find a common ground and be nice.
91 Camaro RS 305 TBI 700R4
85 Corvette - TBD
05 Envoy 4.2 4x4
94z28inok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:10 PM   #11
1Canuck

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
Quote:
.... If I were to tear down an engine for oil consumption and find the cylinder walls sand blasted and you had any type of oiled air filter I would deny warranty but it's not possible it caused an oil leak so I just repair the oil leak and keep a happy customer. .....
please explain why
1Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:41 AM   #12
Junior

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS A6 AGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Junior
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94z28inok View Post
Not to thread jack, but since you are in the position you are I have a quick question for you. Would I have any chance getting a moisture filled headlight with a blown ballast covered or partially covered at 41K miles on my 14? Or should I just suck it up and spend the money? Never know if you dont ask, right?
Nope. You are over the bumper to bumper (36k miles). Also I'm pretty sure we diagnosed your issue to be the bulb, and they aren't covered obviously.
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #13
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Canuck View Post
please explain why
Because the diagnostics of a sand-blasted cylinder wall, means the filter let in too much dirt and fine particles, and the filter is not OEM spec

ChibiBlackSheep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #14
JerTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94z28inok View Post
You can ask the dealer you bought the car from, they have leeway beyond the factory warranty called "customer satisfaction" It's a possibility, but they usually reserve that for customers that do service work not just warranty with them. It never hurts to ask though.

To answer the question about the oiled air filter, ChibiBlackSheep is correct. GM will request the engine block back and they will inspect it to see if it's a defect they can prevent or a change in design they can make. Damage like that can only be caused by debris brought into the engine and they will debit the repair back to the dealer, meaning we pay for it.