Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-19-2018, 10:54 PM   #1
Arkangel-77

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Lifter Tap when car first starts up?

So I am hearing a tapping sound and I am 99% sure its the lifters. It dose it when I 1st start the car and only last for a second or so. When I 1st got the car it was much worse but I added some Marvel Mystery in the oil and then even some sea foam to clean it all out and it got a LOT better. It also only happens after the car has sat for a while. Now I just have pure Mobil 1 Synthetic oil in there. Should I use an Additive? Car has 69K miles on it. Should I use High Millage oil? Do I even need to worry about the lifter tap on start up? What do U guys think? Anyone else seen this outa there car?

Thanks, Arkangel77
Old 10-19-2018, 11:36 PM   #2
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
I don't know if they still do it or not, but Chevy used to install an intake lifter on cylinder 7 (closest to the driver) that would tick when pressure was low.

It worked as you described. If it only happens on a cold start that would be normal. It quiets when oil is flowing to the farthest place from the pump.

It is normal on startup and when it quits ticking you are assured that oil is flowing through the engine and it is safe to operate the vehicle.

If it happens while operating, it is a quick, cheap, easy way to notice something is wrong before a failure.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:59 AM   #3
Arkangel-77

No Idea - Its a 2010 Camaro SS. I did not know that.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:45 PM   #4
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I assume it's an auto, correct? The L99's are AFM engines, I've changed quite a few lifters/cams for this.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:57 PM   #5
Arkangel-77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I assume it's an auto, correct? The L99's are AFM engines, I've changed quite a few lifters/cams for this.

Yes it is Indeed an L99 Auto Car.

My Wife's 2010 GMC Truck did the same thing (It was worse actually). After I got it all cleaned I started using Valvoline High Mileage Oil and it never happened again. Perhaps I will try some of that Valvoline HM in there and see if it stops it?

PS - FWIW, I hate AFM........
Old 10-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #6
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Search in the camaro issues/ tsb,recall section. Search afm lifter tsb. There's only one fix. Given the mileage and age of the car, unless you've been looking for a reason to freshen it up, drive it.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:50 PM   #7
Arkangel-77

I will look. The car only has 68K on it, it is however a 2010. I do have a Very good warranty that I purchased when the car was Bought. If its a Known Issue - I could always go that wrought. Whatever the fix is it would only cost me $100

PS - http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=161795

Last edited by Arkangel-77; 10-20-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Arkangel-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Normal don't sweat it, if it gets worse look to ditch the AFM lifters and do a DOD delete IMO the best for it anyway...requires new regular lifters all around new head gaskets, new lifter baskets, and might as well change out the cam with the miles on it...if your looking for reliable higher lifts require more often spring changes so the ASA cam is about the most radical for not having to worry so much about springs if you should upgrade..and the ls3 type chain dampener is garbage if you in there a dog bone is smarter...if your stock ones still in one piece.... then theres new pushrods etc...…. just some thoughts. AFM is garbage made to comply with stupid regulations....you wont see it anywhere else really other than the GM and maybe one other makers use as its problematic …….. I studied it thoroughly when I owned a l99.... Back when MAST was the only one making VVT cams for the aftermarket application...….. And BTW you would freak if you heard my tight lash preload on my stroker with headers and no engine cover ….LOL typewriter...….
Old 10-21-2018, 05:54 PM   #9
Arkangel-77

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Normal don't sweat it, if it gets worse look to ditch the AFM lifters and do a DOD delete IMO the best for it anyway...requires new regular lifters all around new head gaskets, new lifter baskets, and might as well change out the cam with the miles on it...if your looking for reliable higher lifts require more often spring changes so the ASA cam is about the most radical for not having to worry so much about springs if you should upgrade..and the ls3 type chain dampener is garbage if you in there a dog bone is smarter...if your stock ones still in one piece.... then theres new pushrods etc...…. just some thoughts. AFM is garbage made to comply with stupid regulations....you wont see it anywhere else really other than the GM and maybe one other makers use as its problematic …….. I studied it thoroughly when I owned a l99.... Back when MAST was the only one making VVT cams for the aftermarket application...….. And BTW you would freak if you heard my tight lash preload on my stroker with headers and no engine cover ….LOL typewriter...….

I am not overly stressing over it. But as it will only cost me $100 to have it fixed. I do Think I will try to get it done. Unless they throw me a curve ball of some sort...
Old 10-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #10
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
It's normal on the '10 SS L99. My early 2010 L99 SS has never made a sound. When new
lots of lifters were being replaced under warranty. I didn't bother, but I have done 14 oil
changes in the last 9+ years and 55,000 miles. Change your oil often and enjoy.

Last edited by myold88; 10-27-2018 at 07:50 AM.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote