Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-16-2016, 12:36 AM   #1
GDelToro

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro LT!
Hissing sound on passenger side

About 2 weeks ago I was on my way to work and when reaching 3000+ rpm's I started to hear this hissing noise with like a slight grind to it. It has bugged me and won't stop. Only hear it when car is moving and has reached 3000 rpm. The check engine light has not came on and the car is only at 38,000 miles (would be just passed factory warranty). Is there a perso. That has fixed this on their own. If not do you know what it is.
GDelToro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:39 AM   #2
GDelToro

Here is the YouTube link of a video I took in my car
http://youtu.be/__px6tyEadY
Old 03-16-2016, 01:12 AM   #3
GDelToro

http://youtu.be/uICCNtASRpA
Old 03-16-2016, 01:13 AM   #4
GDelToro

[QUOTE=GDelToro;8970015]Here is the YouTube link of a video I took in my car
http://youtu.be/__px6tyEadY
Old 03-16-2016, 04:42 AM   #5
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Unfortunately it may be a bad heater core. Look it up the sound and description make me think it is.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:35 AM   #6
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
maybe this?
Tech service bulletin.
# PIC5984: Hiss Noise Or Gurgle Noise From Dash - (Apr 9, 2014)
Subject: Hiss Noise Or Gurgle Noise From Dash

Models: 2013 - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment that a noise can be heard from the dash area while the engine is running. It may be a hiss noise or a gurgle noise that can be heard. Raising the engine RPM may or may not change the sound of this noise.

Recommendation/Instructions

This noise may be coming from the cooling system in the vehicle. If a noise can be verified and it sounds like it may be coming from the heater core, dealership technicians are to remove the inlet hose of the vehicle's heater core.

There will be an inlet screen installed in the core that may be plugged with debris, causing this noise. Using a pocket screwdriver or a small pick, remove the screen and inspect it to see if it is plugged with debris. If this screen is found to be plugged, it will need to be cleaned or replaced.

In addition to this, the vehicle's cooling system will need to be flushed out and refilled.

If a lot of debris is found in the inlet screen, backflush the heater core as well.

Regardless of the repair direction, the air will need to be bled from the cooling system, and technicians are to evaluate the customer's concern again at that point.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:44 AM   #7
TigerAndTheDuke

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (Black)
Check to see if there are any snakes.
TigerAndTheDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #8
GDelToro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD555 View Post
maybe this?
Tech service bulletin.
# PIC5984: Hiss Noise Or Gurgle Noise From Dash - (Apr 9, 2014)
Subject: Hiss Noise Or Gurgle Noise From Dash

Models: 2013 - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment that a noise can be heard from the dash area while the engine is running. It may be a hiss noise or a gurgle noise that can be heard. Raising the engine RPM may or may not change the sound of this noise.

Recommendation/Instructions

This noise may be coming from the cooling system in the vehicle. If a noise can be verified and it sounds like it may be coming from the heater core, dealership technicians are to remove the inlet hose of the vehicle's heater core.

There will be an inlet screen installed in the core that may be plugged with debris, causing this noise. Using a pocket screwdriver or a small pick, remove the screen and inspect it to see if it is plugged with debris. If this screen is found to be plugged, it will need to be cleaned or replaced.

In addition to this, the vehicle's cooling system will need to be flushed out and refilled.

If a lot of debris is found in the inlet screen, backflush the heater core as well.

Regardless of the repair direction, the air will need to be bled from the cooling system, and technicians are to evaluate the customer's concern again at that point.
Can I do this myself?
Old 03-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #9
High Magnitude

Drives: 2014 2LT Camaro
Could it be a snake?
Old 03-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #10
2Carats

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Magnitude View Post
Could it be a snake?
This dude right here
Old 03-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #11
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
This is the rest of the bulletin. I really don't know. i have never messed with them. I dont work on them but I have access to the TSB were I work. There is a lot in there thats for sure. i checked my truck and found out most the issues i have on it have been addressed but i waited to long and all of them are outside the period to get them taken care of. Guess I need to review them more often. If still under warranty bring it to the dealer.

"Do not replace the heater core for a noise issue. This is a very extensive procedure which requires the removal of the windshield. If a heater core is suspected for a noise concern and the filter is free of debris, backflush the heater core and inspect to see if any additional debris was trapped in the heater core. Bleed the cooling system and evaluate the customer's concern"
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #12
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Magnitude View Post
Could it be a snake?
My first thought too, does the check for rattler light come on? They're out year round here in this part of Arizona.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:35 PM   #13
mattstone

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDelToro View Post
About 2 weeks ago I was on my way to work and when reaching 3000+ rpm's I started to hear this hissing noise with like a slight grind to it. It has bugged me and won't stop. Only hear it when car is moving and has reached 3000 rpm. The check engine light has not came on and the car is only at 38,000 miles (would be just passed factory warranty). Is there a perso. That has fixed this on their own. If not do you know what it is.
got the same noise in mine man! its been going on for about a month now. i have 15000 miles on my camaro. i took it to chevy and they blamed it on my borla exhaust. i called bullshit and have been hoping to find someone with the same issue.
mattstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:26 PM   #14
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Jees. Trolls galore lol. I approve. But back to the topic. Like i stated, its probably a heater core. Someone else mentioned what I was gonna advise next. Which is do not replace for just the noise. If you lose A/C then change. Its expensive and requires the mechanic(s) doing the repairs to pull apart your entire dashboard/windshield, etc..
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015, acceleration, camaro, noises