Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #71
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
I beleive, and i have said this several times before, that performance wise the M3 is the camaros true competition. everything else it just leaves limp. they will both have similar power, similar weight, and similar skidpad numbers. overall if you met on a track the M3 may have a slight edge to it, but they will be so closely matched that the difference would be a drivers race, not a cars. so where does the BMW get off charging twice the tag? its how it gets it all done. the camaro's interrior will be great, the M3's will be luxurious. the camaro will corner with the strength to chase down ferraris. As will the M3, it just wont feel as viloent through it (though BMWs arent exactly sprung choushie, its just more sophisticated in the tuning). the camaro will provide snap your neck tourqe and a power curve that makes sure you know its here to kick ass, but when you look out your window im sure you will see an M3 right there. so can a camaro hang? absolutely. which would I rather own? the Camaro because its got so much more potential, can keep up stock for stock, and i could stomach the insurance and car payment. which would I rather drive? the M3 because its just so much more refined, smooth, and luxurious. not to mention its the new world benchmark for sportcoupes.
nicely put bro, if that doesnt explain it for the majority of people - im not sure what will.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #72
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
I beleive, and i have said this several times before, that performance wise the M3 is the camaros true competition. everything else it just leaves limp. they will both have similar power, similar weight, and similar skidpad numbers. overall if you met on a track the M3 may have a slight edge to it, but they will be so closely matched that the difference would be a drivers race, not a cars. so where does the BMW get off charging twice the tag? its how it gets it all done. the camaro's interrior will be great, the M3's will be luxurious. the camaro will corner with the strength to chase down ferraris. As will the M3, it just wont feel as viloent through it (though BMWs arent exactly sprung choushie, its just more sophisticated in the tuning). the camaro will provide snap your neck tourqe and a power curve that makes sure you know its here to kick ass, but when you look out your window im sure you will see an M3 right there. so can a camaro hang? absolutely. which would I rather own? the Camaro because its got so much more potential, can keep up stock for stock, and i could stomach the insurance and car payment. which would I rather drive? the M3 because its just so much more refined, smooth, and luxurious. not to mention its the new world benchmark for sportcoupes.
This is fairly accurate. except for...

The camaro makes more power, and about 45% more torque

Similar weight? you know the M3 weighs +- 300 lbs less right?

Camaro wont be able to hang with the M3 for 2 reasons. The M3 is faster in a straight line, and its faster through corners. 0-60 in 4.3 .

Honestly the Car is overpriced. Guys in 335i's with a chip will spank an M3 around a track all day long.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #73
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
All BMW’s are overpriced IMO but the M3 is a great car. About 10 grand too expensive but there are some reasons for it. The engine has a lot of technology and is more like a racecar engine. 4l vs. 6l but similar HP. There is a great use of aluminum and some carbon fiber there is also the fact that BMW’s are luxury cars that are sporty. They need to be comfortable, quiet when you want them to be, powerful at least in M form and an all around great performer that won’t bite you in the ass. You can drive an M3 everyday and it will feel right at home in city slog, on the autobahn or on a track.

The camaro is probably as close as I can get to an M3 that isn’t several years old and if it performs even remotely close it will be the best all around performance value on the market.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #74
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
This is fairly accurate. except for...

The camaro makes more power, and about 45% more torque

Similar weight? you know the M3 weighs +- 300 lbs less right?

Camaro wont be able to hang with the M3 for 2 reasons. The M3 is faster in a straight line, and its faster through corners. 0-60 in 4.3 .

Honestly the Car is overpriced. Guys in 335i's with a chip will spank an M3 around a track all day long.
It will take more than a chip...I have a 335i...it's not that simple...drag strip yet, track no...335i still a bargain tho.

I am giving up mine to get the camaro...bottom line, I like to mess with my stuff, and I can't afford to break a BMW...a camaro, that's a different story. And although a 335i has huge potential, ultimately it will be no match for the LSX F-body...drag strip or track...too much aftermarket support.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:35 AM   #75
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
It will take more than a chip...I have a 335i...it's not that simple...drag strip yet, track no...335i still a bargain tho.

I am giving up mine to get the camaro...bottom line, I like to mess with my stuff, and I can't afford to break a BMW...a camaro, that's a different story. And although a 335i has huge potential, ultimately it will be no match for the LSX F-body...drag strip or track...too much aftermarket support.
no it wont.. i know a kid who chipped his 335i and got 400+ hp and torque.

not bad for a 3400lb car.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 AM   #76
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
no it wont.. i know a kid who chipped his 335i and got 400+ hp and torque.

not bad for a 3400lb car.
he's saying more than a chip to beat the M3...and he's right. this horse has been flogged to death and more than a few folks have put a worked 335 against a stock M3....M3 always tends to win...even if only by a hair.

http://www.autospies.com/news/The-BM...howdown-30580/

the comments at the end of this video are stupid...and there's no dealer markup anymore. They also fail to take into account the cost for voiding warranty (the Dinan warranty IS NOT factory warranty), updgraded interior(seats are SOOO nice), and all the other little bits and baubels (wheels, body parts, finishing peices, etc, etc, etc)
Old 11-25-2008, 01:08 AM   #77
gladiatoro

Drives: 1981 Z28 Camaro
Quote:

And it's only got 295 ft pds of tourque that's pathetic sorry I'll stick with the SS plus the M3 looks boooring like all BMWs were as the SS just looks damn hot and unique
Old 11-25-2008, 01:57 AM   #78
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
Ok look, BMW is really nice, if I wasnt going to get a SS, I would get a used 05 645i without a doubt. I mean these cars are in two different categories. One thing is when I saw the SS at the L.A autoshow, Man Camaro I think was the sexiest car there. NO JOKE. I mean I was looking at the other cars and I sat in the 328i, i thought is was nice for the price, C300 was alright, nothing to great but I would choose the 328 any day over the C300. The CTS looks really nice and the interior seems really awesome, but if I was ever given a choice to buy a 335i and a SS, I would go SS hands down.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:03 PM   #79
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
he's saying more than a chip to beat the M3...and he's right. this horse has been flogged to death and more than a few folks have put a worked 335 against a stock M3....M3 always tends to win...even if only by a hair.

http://www.autospies.com/news/The-BM...howdown-30580/

the comments at the end of this video are stupid...and there's no dealer markup anymore. They also fail to take into account the cost for voiding warranty (the Dinan warranty IS NOT factory warranty), updgraded interior(seats are SOOO nice), and all the other little bits and baubels (wheels, body parts, finishing peices, etc, etc, etc)

My point exactly...you can do JB3, Dual intake, catless down and mid pipes, exhaust and FMIC and probably outrun an M3 in a straight line...BUT, on a track you'll need an engine oil cooler (ALOT of 335i's did NOT come with from the factory and the factory one is a weak unit), upgraded suspension ($$), tires, and really a Quaife rear diff. Even with ALL that stuff it will be close...AND and this point you are probably near the price of a used M3 (if you bought your 335i new and did all this stuff ASAP), THEN, what if you tear it up?? Warranty is bye, bye and parts are $$$.

The dinan comparo was a good example, not only did the dinan 335i lose, but its wasn't as enjoyable to drive...ie its called an M3 for a reason, and you can't strap some parts onto a 335i and make it one (I DRIVE A 335i, so I speak from experience).

Give me my 2010 SS and I'll be happy...if I tear it up, it just gives me an excuse to go LSX block... I can fix it in my back yard and parts are NOT $$.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:49 PM   #80
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fad1 View Post
Ok look, BMW is really nice, if I wasnt going to get a SS, I would get a used 05 645i without a doubt. I mean these cars are in two different categories. One thing is when I saw the SS at the L.A autoshow, Man Camaro I think was the sexiest car there. NO JOKE. I mean I was looking at the other cars and I sat in the 328i, i thought is was nice for the price, C300 was alright, nothing to great but I would choose the 328 any day over the C300. The CTS looks really nice and the interior seems really awesome, but if I was ever given a choice to buy a 335i and a SS, I would go SS hands down.

Same experience for me. I drooled over the Camaro for about an hour and afterwards got through the exoctics hall in about 5 minutes tops.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
Old 11-26-2008, 12:45 AM   #81
06GTO

Drives: 06 GTO, 06 Z06, 06 X5 4.4
I love the new M3. Would take one any day over the camaro, but would love to have either one
Old 11-26-2008, 11:44 PM   #82
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Compare a stripped BMW 135i manual with the sport package for $38k with a loaded Camaro SS manual and the price is close, the cars are about as fast, the BMW will handle tight twisties better because its very small. For fun both cars will kick ass. One is big, one is small, they will both handle great. The BMW IS NOT OVERPRICED with just the sport package, and it has everything needed. The Camaro is quite large.

So what do you want a fast fun small car, or a big great sounding V8 that will still handle great. Big difference, but close in price and fun factor IMO.IMO.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:46 PM   #83
QS78

Drives: Camaro 1998
Double the price !!
Old 08-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #84
m3 tornado

Drives: 2009 BMW m3
m3

I drive a 2009 BMW m3 and i can tell you hands down it will beat the Camaro. now of course it will be a close race because the horsepower is almost the same and the weight is very close but the high revving Sport motor in the BMW will out power and out handle the camaro. My father is really good friends with the professional race car driver Tony Kanaan (formula 1) and we have been to his test track and i had him do a 0-60 in my bmw and with a professional timing system we got it at 4.1

Closed Thread