Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
2011*Camaro*SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert
AAC LED Reverse lights not working..:iono:

I backed my car out of the garage today to let it run for a minute, since we have snow and I cant drive it. My camera was on so I know the lights were on cause my camera is only powered when the lights are on. I turned it off and left it outside to enjoy the cold air then went to pull it in about an hour later, when I pull into the garage I put it in reverse to make sure i'm in all the way and the camera never came on. So I put the parking brake on and went and looked in the back and low and behold the lights weren't on. I've tried turning the car on and off multiple times...I can't get them to come back on...I don't know what the problem is and I don't really want to take my bumper off to check the connections, because they worked an hour earlier...any ideas? If there was power running through the wires wouldn't the camera still come on even if the lights don't come on?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Might ask the dancing chicken I have no doubt he will have the answer
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
BDH

Drives: 2012 1LT-RS
let see...video shoot or quality control...hmm...
BDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Sounds like you put the e-brake on with the car in reverse to go look to see if the back up lights were on? They only come on when the car is in reverse and on, They are bright enough you should be able to see them on when you put it in reverse by looking in your rear view mirrors.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
2011*Camaro*SS

Yeah the car was started and in reverse with the E-Brake on cause it was daytime. Tried again this morning, still no go.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
GB EB

Drives: 2014 Stingray 2LT/Z51
View their "harlem shake" video and ....

oh never mind....

that sucks.... but.... lifetime warranty!

*TROPHY RECIPIENT - GREATEST SHOW ON TURF 9/11/11*
*1ST PLACE MODERN MUSCLE - CORONADO SPEED FESTIVAL 9/23/11*
*AWARD OF EXCELLENCE - GOOD GUYS DEL MAR FALL NATIONALS 11/27/11*
*1ST PLACE / '82&UP CAMARO/FIREBIRD- FORT WALTON BEACH FF SHOW 2/16/13*
BUILD THREAD: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120353
GB EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011*Camaro*SS View Post
Yeah the car was started and in reverse with the E-Brake on cause it was daytime. Tried again this morning, still no go.
Do you have an automatic? That's pretty Balzy to put the car in gear and not be in it.

You may have a loose connection I know a few on here have had that tissue with the plug not in all the way. But it the backup camera is not on as well you may have another issue. as the camera pulls signal before the back up lights.

Which back up camera did you use? Ofer's? (2SSRS) or an aftermarket one? You may have somehow completely disconnected the power to the back up lights all together.

And the Harlem Shake and quality control comments are just stupid IMO. Like no one has ever taken time off to have fun at work? and like it has any bearing on quality control... What people don't realize is that AAC sells tens of thousands of products probably monthly, a lot of those to people in the forums (not just Camaro5). So you are bound to have a concentration of reviews in this limited community. Plus it's only when things don't go right people just jump on the "let's bash this company" band wagon... They have a ton of threads praising them as well, but those threads don't go viral like the ones full of haters... just remember that with any product you research to purchase.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
butters

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroI View Post
Might ask the dancing chicken I have no doubt he will have the answer
ROFL!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
2011*Camaro*SS

My backup camera is a mixture of ofers and aftermarket. I bought the Harness and Mirror from ofer and the camera I bought on my own cause I didn't like the one he had. Everything worked fine until I installed my AAC reverse lights...Guess ill take the bumper off and check everything. I was weary about buying these lights and for the week or so they worked I was way pleased, but if I have to remove my bumper every two weeks to get a new set I may just try for a refund.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
My backup camera is a mixture of ofers and aftermarket. I bought the Harness and Mirror from ofer and the camera I bought on my own cause I didn't like the one he had. Everything worked fine until I installed my AAC reverse lights...Guess ill take the bumper off and check everything. I was weary about buying these lights and for the week or so they worked I was way pleased, but if I have to remove my bumper every two weeks to get a new set I may just try for a refund.
Gotcha, so it's basically Ofer's set up. Which is plug and play then no wiring splicing correct? At least that's what I recall.

If it is the lights themselves it is weird to see they both went out, that's why I think something came loose. A harness or something.

Good luck, fortunately the bumper is easy to remove, but certainly not something you want to do all the time.

I have had my reverse lights for over a year now without an issue (as have many others). So don't let these bandwagon riders persuade you. It's always the same group of people who come out of the wood work to bash AAC. And I am always one to come out and call them out on the BS. They have no clue the volume of sales they (AAC) have and how many great customer reviews they have.

Again good luck! Let us know what you find out. Test your old lights, one at a time etc. before you button it all back up. I'm sure you know how to trouble shoot it. If not were here to help.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
2011*Camaro*SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
Gotcha, so it's basically Ofer's set up. Which is plug and play then no wiring splicing correct? At least that's what I recall.

If it is the lights themselves it is weird to see they both went out, that's why I think something came loose. A harness or something.

Good luck, fortunately the bumper is easy to remove, but certainly not something you want to do all the time.

I have had my reverse lights for over a year now without an issue (as have many others). So don't let these bandwagon riders persuade you. It's always the same group of people who come out of the wood work to bash AAC. And I am always one to come out and call them out on the BS. They have no clue the volume of sales they (AAC) have and how many great customer reviews they have.

Again good luck! Let us know what you find out. Test your old lights, one at a time etc. before you button it all back up. I'm sure you know how to trouble shoot it. If not were here to help.
Its the great people like you that remind me there is still hope in humanity. It seems like everyday I see people with nothing better to do than bash on others.

Yeah most of the backup camera is plug and play but you do have to splice once into a wire on the drivers side of the car under that black piece above the tail lights (to draw power) I used a splice connector so I don't see how that would have cut the wire but I have everything electrical taped closed so I wouldn't be able to see. It was weird that they both went out seeing as they are on different connectors (I think) if I remember right the left light is connected to the left tail light and the right to the right. If everything is fine, and I have to take it to the dealer are they going to try and give me crap for having aftermarket tail lights and a non-factory backup camera? I can see it now...Driving 30 miles then getting there and them not doing anything because the lights/camera are not factory.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Its the great people like you that remind me there is still hope in humanity. It seems like everyday I see people with nothing better to do than bash on others.

Yeah most of the backup camera is plug and play but you do have to splice once into a wire on the drivers side of the car under that black piece above the tail lights (to draw power) I used a splice connector so I don't see how that would have cut the wire but I have everything electrical taped closed so I wouldn't be able to see. It was weird that they both went out seeing as they are on different connectors (I think) if I remember right the left light is connected to the left tail light and the right to the right. If everything is fine, and I have to take it to the dealer are they going to try and give me crap for having aftermarket tail lights and a non-factory backup camera? I can see it now...Driving 30 miles then getting there and them not doing anything because the lights/camera are not factory.
Haa no worries.

Those splice connectors use a cutting action to cut into the shielding to make contact with the wires inside, it's actually one of the worst ways to connect wires because it can actually cut the wire itself. Which very well could be the problem. You would think with it being such a tight connection though it would flicker some, but you never know.
I recall a single harness that ties back into the body harness?. They had individual plugs on the back of each light but then the main plug into the body? I don't recall 100% OR they connect through the rear tail lights harness as you recall. In which case, yes there are two separate harnesses one for each side. Sorry I forget, it has been a little while since I've had it off.

Did you do the install? If so I would trouble shoot it yourself. Take the bumper off and unwrap your wires and investigate before you take it to the dealer. Also do a quick swap on one of the light and see if it work if not then it's a wiring issue for sure.

The dealer shouldn't have an issue with the rear lights, but they might with tapping into wires. I know when I installed a remote start on my Camry they told me it could possible affect the warranty. The thing with that, is that they have to prove it was the lights that caused the issue.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Mine stopped working on one side, check your connectors... if you didn't secure them they might have come loose.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Also check to see if any fuses were blown. If there are any connectors that might be exposed to the elements make sure they are black taped up to keep water out. Other than that.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote